iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the weather 2020

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2020, 08:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Looks like mine will be coming out too. My house does that get much sun. I had it built for the view. My other house got the sun. Nice in the winter, very bad in the summer. This house will stay cool with no sun beating in through the windows, if it cools off at night. 
But the big news is rain!!! Well a couple showers, but it is wet!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Right now it's 65°. Tomorrow high is only suppose to be 66°!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Was 55° when I got up this morning.

A-z farmer

We have a cool down coming this week with lows in the 60s and highs in the 70s.We are at 21 inches of rain this year so far and our 5 year average is 31 inches by now .I have never seen soo many grasshoppers and mice and voles as we have had this year but the turkey vultures and 100s of crows and ravens have been having a feast .It looks like it might be a hard winter coming .

Old Greenhorn

Ditto on the grass hoppers. Was cutting in a field last week and there were everywhere! I don't see it getting into the 70's until Sunday here but will take what we get and deal with it. Yesterday afternoon the temp dropped 15 degrees when that front came through. I have noticed a lot more chipmunks here this year. Getting ready for winter is a year round job. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Was 50F this morning on the porch, only 60 now. Quite windy from the north. Good brush cutting weather, except you gotta work with the wind. :D Sure can't complain about the cut'n though, old panted field. I've scaled back my hours a bit, 1 ha of walking every day is hard on the legs. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dgdrls

Hurricane Laura is reporting to be very bad,

Thoughts and prayers for everyone to come out the other side
safe and sound, 

D

Old Greenhorn

Well, the slight drop in the temps has given me some new energy, but the work list is so tall I can't see over it. Worked a solid full day yesterday of cut-split-stack while I kept the burn bucket going to keep up with the junk before it overwhelms (again). The wind was changing all day and I took in a lot of smoke which didn't bother me until about 2am this morning when my head clogged up. Got up at 3:30 because I am a little stressed about having 3 folks working here today on several different projects to help us out and my job is to keep them all productive to use their time wisely. Forecast is for T-storms most of the afternoon. None of the projects are shop work. All ladder and outdoor work. The radar is not cheering me up either, the forecast looks accurate. Also watching the hurricane roll over the gulf coast, but there is only so much of the Weather channel hype I can take in one sitting. There is going to be a lot of tree work to be done in the coming months and perhaps some good milling opportunities. My thoughts are with our members down there, I hope everyone comes through it safely.
 Time for me to get out and start on the prep work for the day.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

thecfarm

49° this morning. Last night I was mowing the field with a sweat shirt on. Was a cool day yesterday.
It's a coming.

goose63

The heat wave is over for now the wheat fields are gone beans turning yellow corn starting to turn too wont be long will need to put the snow blower back on the tracter :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

timberking

75 with a hurricane in the neighborhood.  I am far enough west to miss the worst, just rain now.  Should get some wind later.  No log trucks on the road.

SwampDonkey

Was 48F this morning and a high of 65F on the porch this afternoon.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

It is 45° outside this morning.  Yesterday was a windy day and cool. 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on August 28, 2020, 05:27:53 AM
It is 45° outside this morning.  Yesterday was a windy day and cool.
Had a heck of a storm front go through yesterday afternoon. Lots of rain in 40 minutes, big wind, and a tornado warning. Cool overnight, that storm carried a 15° drop in the temps in just a few minutes. Temp was 66 when I got up at 4:30 and on the rise already and the high for today is supposed the be just about 80. Tomorrow we have more rain coming in the afternoon. The season is showing signs of change.

SwampDonkey

Was 48F this morning and that north wind is still present, suppose to reach 70 today.

thecfarm

56° and the heat is on. 
We got some rain!!!!
Too late for the farmers.  :(  
Started around 8:30 am and went until about 3 pm. Was a good soaking rain.

SwampDonkey

Yep, we had 1/4" here in the rain gauge, we had 1/2" earlier in the week. Real cool. The electric furnace came on 2 or 3 times in the night. Sun is shining here now, off and on, between the clouds. Seen a moose yesterday walking out the woodlot. Flock of 15 turkeys up the road and a flock of 12 while looking out the picture window. ;D

thecfarm

No moose around here. Well none in my front yard. I did hear that someone got a couple up on top of the hill maybe a mile from here.
I see turkeys all the time here. At least 2 flocks. I thought I had about 20 one year, than we saw both flocks of 20 at one time.  :o
I've been out at just about dark, which is about 7:45 now and been seeing 3 deer. A couple have horns.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, they are getting more common up here all the time. They only was introduced 10 years ago maybe. First I seen here was in 2014 in a cold April rain. I saw a coupe grouse yesterday on my woods walk as well. Always  see them on my woodlot, no one walks and hunts around here, so they are safe if they stay off the road. :D I seen one the other day when driving through town, came out of the thickets where the old RR track was. Lots of fruit bushes in those thickets.

woodroe

We got close to an inch of rain yesterday, .87 " on the map I saw . 
Transplanted a asparagus plant today and when digging the new hole found the soil to be dry down around 5 inches. That is how dry we got here. 
Need another inch or two but at least this will help my corn crop. 
Haven't been watering from the drilled well due to the pump flipping the breaker occasionally earlier this summer. That will get your attention.
But my 1st crop of corn came in pretty good despite the lack of rain and have many dozens of 1lb.+ Beefmaster  tomatoes. Collected 40lbs so far, probably another 40 to come.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Woodroe, You making any sauce?

Fresh off the stove. ;D

woodroe

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 30, 2020, 01:47:50 PM
Woodroe, You making any sauce?

Fresh off the stove. ;D

Looks good, love the looks of canned tomatoes but so far been freezing them whole, wash, core the stem out and into gallon freezer bags they go.
 The easy (lazy ?) method, just not so pretty as those canned ones. I did can seven qts last year along with freezing some and may can a batch this year . Not sure if there is much or any taste difference between methods.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

These are spaghetti sauce. She's a 3 hr boil to get the water off. We don't can tomatoes. The home made kind they want $12 a bottle for. :D

thecfarm

46° will keep those flies away. 
It was a very odd year here for flies. There was really not many here. Most years it's hard to enjoy the great outdoors with all the flies after me. Maybe lack of rain?

SwampDonkey

Was 45F on the porch early this morning, watched the moon set at 4:40 am. I have not seen any black flies for weeks and the deer flies have been gone now for 2 weeks. Not many mosquitoes early in the morning either. Last couple weekends walking in the woodlot was bug free. :)

Thank You Sponsors!