iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer new bands

Started by Bruno of NH, December 28, 2023, 08:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Woodmizer sent me 2 new bands to try out.
One is a new silver tip frost notch band and the other is a redesigned carbide band with a bigger tooth of carbide.
I will try the frost notch right off and let you frozen log Sawyers know what I think. I'm very happy it's a silver tip. I find the notch tooth works great year round on spruce logs and dry ash.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

Hey Bruno.  what is the torch for in the background?  anything at all to do with the bands?  How do you undo a bundle of 15 bands.  I have two boxes and still pondering how to do this and not have to go to the ED. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

KWood255

Thanks Bruno. I'm very curious about both. I have been running WM carbide bands predominantly for a couple years now, with great success. Perhaps an improvement is coming with a larger carbide tip?

I did saw a few frozen red pine and white spruce in the last couple days. The results suffered. I cannot say for sure what caused the wave, as everything seems to have checked out, aside from the logs being frozen. I would have to say this was about the first time I've had waves running carbide.

A few years back I ran WM 4* on frozen logs, which seemed to work ok.

SawyerTed

Quote from: doc henderson on December 28, 2023, 08:49:31 AM
Hey Bruno.  what is the torch for in the background?  anything at all to do with the bands?  How do you undo a bundle of 15 bands.  I have two boxes and still pondering how to do this and not have to go to the ED.

Doc, do you have a Wood-mizer flat pack of 15?

If so the blades come out 1 at a time.  Here's their video.

How to Safely Unpack Blades From a ReSharp Flatpack | Wood-Mizer - YouTube
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

Perfect.  thank you.  yes, I bought a few bundles from Joe.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

boonesyard

Bruno,
I'll be very interested in your results, although my logs aren't froze yet this year.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

barbender

I prefer sawing red pine and white spruce when it is frozen, I get more consistent results. Half frozen (which would be likely right now) can cause issues.

I look forward to seeing how these work out Bruno. Especially that carbide.
Too many irons in the fire

Bradm

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 28, 2023, 09:55:57 AM
Here's their video.

How to Safely Unpack Blades From a ReSharp Flatpack | Wood-Mizer - YouTube

I do it slightly different.  I'll hang the blades on two hooks on the wall with the teeth pointed at the wall for safety (this will require rotating the clip holding the bundle together 180deg) and removing the bands one at a time.  I do not wear gloves when taking the bands out as I find they are a bigger safety risk, from the teeth snagging, than using bare hands.

Southside

I find flat packed to be a lot easier to deal with than those death coiled ones.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Gere Flewelling

Bruno, Does the frost notch band match up similar to the Munkfors bands you have used in the past? They look similar in photos.  I would like to try to match that profile with my sharpener sometime. Always like a challenge when it comes to sharpening. 
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on December 28, 2023, 03:05:52 PM
Bruno, Does the frost notch band match up similar to the Munkfors bands you have used in the past? They look similar in photos.  I would like to try to match that profile with my sharpener sometime. Always like a challenge when it comes to sharpening.
Yes they look fairly similar
The Woodmizer band material is marked 10/30  on the frost notch.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

Quote from: Southside on December 28, 2023, 02:53:28 PM
I find flat packed to be a lot easier to deal with than those death coiled ones.

I imagine a 1.5" wide 0.055" thick blade is like having 210 cat claws after you if uncoiled wrong.  A man can't get away quick enough! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Try a 1.75"....  I just toss them onto the sawdust pile and run.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

I have been running the silver tip notch tooth bands this week.
They cut very nice in the frozen and half frozen white pine and red pine I have been sawing.
Nice flat cuts in big knotty white pine. I'm happy Woodmizer makes them now .

randy d

I just ordered 5 of the frost notch bands we have been cutting frozen white pine and getting some waviness so I am hoping they work as well for us.    Randy

trapper

where can they be sharpened or can it be done on a standard sharpener??
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

randy d

Steve in Mosinee would sharpen them.

Full Circle

Thank you for starting this thread, Bruno. Its good to hear your review. I had the same question as Trapper.  I appreciate getting better results when milling frozen or partially frozen logs. But as I consider buying a sharpener now, would I be able to sharpen this profile?
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Nebraska

I wonder what the physics are behind the little secondary notch that make a difference in sawing the wet hard frozen wood.  Looking at it, I thought the hook angle was probably 10 degrees. I would think it would plug with sawdust and ice slowing the bite in the wood down. I used three of them when I was trying different blades with my  manual mill.  They did fine but I didn't buy more because of the sharpening issue.

Bruno of NH

I gave Chad my feedback on the notch tooth on 25" pine yesterday its had big knots and came out nice and flat .
They work great in spruce and dry ash logs year round .

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Nebraska on January 05, 2024, 07:15:37 AM
I wonder what the physics are behind the little secondary notch that make a difference in sawing the wet hard frozen wood.  Looking at it, I thought the hook angle was probably 10 degrees. I would think it would plug with sawdust and ice slowing the bite in the wood down. I used three of them when I was trying different blades with my  manual mill.  They did fine but I didn't buy more because of the sharpening issue.
I think it takes little bites out of the cut at once like sawing steel sort of. They are also 3/4 tooth spacing more tooth in the cut.
I hope they make an 1.5" band with it. I asked about it for big logs.

steve marek

Do you like them better than the other frost tooth blades you were using  or are they the same
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

Bruno of NH

Quote from: steve marek on January 09, 2024, 07:10:47 PM
Do you like them better than the other frost tooth blades you were using  or are they the same
I like them better the design is just a little different and I like the sliver tip flex life better

Thank You Sponsors!