iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new home for a very special mill

Started by scsmith42, November 11, 2013, 06:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

It looks like it says "Sold to Tom Cadenhead, Jacksonville, FL" I think I remember that.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

You done good Scott!

Definitely brings a tear to a guys eye, especially at the cemetery and on Veterans Day!

Thank you so very much for posting!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

I love a good story with a happy ending.    :P

Say, anyone know where his firts mill is?  He sawed a couple million board feet on a Wood-Mizer LT40.  Last I remember he loaned it to someone that needed a mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

schakey

Wonderful just wonderful  smiley_clapping  thanks for the story.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

submarinesailor

Scott,

Job good!!!!!

I too have been wondering what had happened to Tom's mill and I'm very happy to see that it has gone to a new "good" home.

THANK YOU for letting us know about this.

Bruce

slider

al glenn

wwsjr

I had the good fortune to be at Sawlex, meet and talk with Tom the day the mill was unveiled. He was one happy sawyer. Just to sit and talk with Tom was something I will never forget.
Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Jemclimber

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. 
lt15

Happycamper

Scott,
  A heart warming story, you are very fortunate to have the mill and I can only imagine the pleasure you will have using it.
                                       Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Weekend_Sawyer

I also have thought about Toms mill from time to time.
I am glad it is in good hands and back up and running.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dad2FourWI

What a neat story!!!!

... and yes, I admit that both my wife and I both shed a tear reading this!!!!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

scsmith42

All:  Thanks for the kind words.  Hopefully Gael will be able to log in and share some thoughts of her own. My brother and I really enjoyed our time with her; we did a little road work while we were there and she fed us like kings and regaled us with stories about her and Tom.  Clearly, like Tom she is a very special person and I'm sure that Tom's life was never dull!

To answer some questions..

TR: the mill is labeled "Sold to Tom Cadenhead, Jacksonville FL", which I intend to leave in place.

Bibby - I recall that Gael mentioned that Tom's old Woodmizer went to a local fellow that used to mill with Tom. 

All:  Gael still has Tom's Kodiak flatbed truck which she would like to sell. It has a Cat Diesel, and I think that it's either a 5500 or 6500 series truck.   

Today was a good milling day; we churned out a couple of thousand board feet or so of pine siding with Tom and a few hundred bd ft of white oak for a customer with the Peterson.  Milling a 36" SYP was fun too!  Mainly we took our time in order to get a good feel for the controls and not bend/break/strike anything.  Tomorrow we plan to mill some more siding and I might even experiment with some band mill quartersawing as well as experimenting with the setworks.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You may have snow on the ground in the morning Scott.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

coastlogger

What a great story. I hope,when my number comes up,that my "stuff" gets even a fraction of the appreciation and love you have bestowed on Tom's prized mill.Well done,and thanks for sharing it in such a thoughtful manner.
clgr

fat olde elf

And the legend lives on.  Good job Scott..... Only on the Forum......God bless us all.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

CHARLIE

Scott, thank you for this post.  I certainly appreciate your kindness and thoughtfulness.  I also appreciate all the help you and your brother gave to Gael while you were there getting the mill ready for the trailer.  I can't think of a better place for Tom's mill and I'm sure Tom is smiling knowing that the mill is back in operation.  I am grateful that you took the mill to the cemetery before you left for home. I know that helped Gael a lot and was very meaningful to her.  Scott, you are a good man.  I know the mill is in good hands and will be cared for and worked hard.  :)  I like that you call the mill Tom.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Gael

Scott -  after speaking with you the first time you called in regards to purchasing the mill I knew that you would not only take care of the mill but respect the history and after reading your story as Tom would say "good show!"

Some of you might remember a story that Tom wrote about the time Baker showed up and pulled his first mill back to Missouri for repairs and he stated that he wanted to chase after the mill as it went up the driveway and not let it go.  I now know how he felt as when it went out in a cloud of dust all I could think was "NOOOOOOOO, what have I done, come back!"

Then we went by the cemetery and as Scott mentioned it was an emotional moment but it also felt right.

The numbers on the back of his stone are the location, section nine, plot 631.

Scott and Jeff met the family that adopted Tom and I, Bobby, Allison and her boys (she has 4) still talk about Tom and miss him also, in this picture is Allison, a truly wonderful person and the daugher we never had or as Tom would say "the son I never had"  she is one of a kind like him.

It was a very poignant moment when the mill crossed over the FL/GA line for the last time

Tom enjoyed sawing in Folkston and surrounding areas in Georgia and northern Florida.  Every now and then when business would slow down he would start to worry and I would tell just get in the truck with the mill on the back, have lunch at the Okeefeenocce restaurant in Folkston and come home, sure enough by the time he would arrive back the phone had already started ringing. 

The pictures of the mill running and piling up sawdust did my heart good, I know that Scott is the correct person to have the mill and will take care of "Tom" as he deserves. 

I appreciate all the time and effort that Scott and Jeff did in helping fix the driveway, when Kevin (Scott's brother-in-law) showed up to take pictures of the mill and I joked with him about it was an adventure to get to the house and gave new meaning to the saying "over the river and thru the woods to the Cadenhead house we go"  :D  then Scott brought equipment  (a land scrapper, I have got to get me one of these!) for Jeff to work on the driveway while he worked on the mill, the generosity of their time and thoughtfulness of working on the mill there so that I could hear her run one more time on the property will always be remembered. 

It was a great three days, once Scott had the sawmill running and Jeff was running dirt on the backhoe all felt right in the world for the first time as these were the noises I was used to hearing and had missed. I regret that we were not able to take pictures of you both at the Holey Oak tree (still need to find it) sail_smiley

Thought I would end this on a funny note:  the night that Scott and Jeff showed up they both have on red T-shirts and seemed like pretty nice guys but here I was with two men I have never met in the middle of the woods, I had informed my neighbors that they were coming and had stopped over at Allison's on my way home that afternoon to pickup up her shotgun which she had loaded with brass cased double .00 buckshot and had placed it on the floor by the bed.  So during dinner a neighbor called and wanted to know if the white truck with the trailer was them and if they seemed OK, so I went on and informed Scott and Jeff of the concerns that my friends had of me being there alone with them and told them about the shotgun at that time just for good measure.  The next morning at breakfast when inquiring on how they had slept and such, Scott mentioned that he had wanted a glass of water but decided to only go to the bathroom to drink from the faucet as all he could think about was if he went to the kitchen to get a glass I would come out of the bedroom with that loaded shotgun and it was just too funny fudd-smiley

I know that Tom is telling me "You did good, Gael"

scsmith42

Gael, thanks for your great post and pix; it brought a both a laugh from my gut as well as a tear from my eyes!  Jeff and I really enjoyed our stay, and we both feel that we made some new friends.

I'm headed back out to work more with Tom.  Today I'm going to experiment with quartersawing with him and perhaps explore the setworks too.

Take care.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Weekend_Sawyer

That was a wonderful post Gael.

Thank You
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Great stories Ms. Gael. I see this is your first post.......so I just have to smile and say.....

"WELCOME TO THE FOREST FORUM!"

I love the pictures you posted......very, very nice.  :)

*****Scott....I believe I would have drank out of the toilet before I would have went to the kitchen!  :D :D :D*****
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Well I can say one thing,Gael can tell stories just about as good as Tom could.   ;D  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!