iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm not in the business, but what is "stumpage"?

Started by Ljohnsaw, March 16, 2013, 05:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

I see the term used often in talking about timber prices but I can't figure out what it means here.  Is it the right to cut the trees or the flat rate price on a parcel of trees or something totally different?

I often read where the stumpage goes up and the timber price goes down...  Please explain.

Thanks
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I'll make you work for it. Go up to Extras,click onto it,click on to Forestry Forum Dictionary,click onto "S" than click the area key for stumpage.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

For some reason it's missing scroll bars, can't scroll down.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I was just looking for stumpage and did find that. I did not need the scroller.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I see you can find it with search, but if you hit "S" you get a list of "S" terms that won't scroll down. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Claybraker

In the iPad Safari browser, you can scroll pages to the right. Stumpage is on pg 6.

WDH

It is the value of a standing tree on the stump.  It is the amount the landowner gets for the timber when the landowner sells the timber to a logger, wood supplier, or a mill.  It does not include the cost to log and transport the timber to the mill. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Claybraker

That's a clearer definition. Might be worthwhile to upgrade the current entry.
:P

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,I'm just wondering what you are seeing. I go to "s" than there is a << on the left side of the "s" and >> on the right side of the "s".

Brucer

In BC, stumpage is what we loggers pay to the government for taking wood off crown land (e.g., government land).

In the "old days" the forest service would send someone into a cut block to count the stumps. The logger would pay a fixed price per stump. Eventually the government realized that the loggers were only taking the biggest trees (I wonder why :D).

These days stumpage is charged on the volume of wood removed. The rate depends on the species, the location, and grade of log.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

It is common practice here on private land to offer a $$/acre for the wood since it is usually CC and no separation of products for pricing. These wood land owners want an up front payment and usually nowhere to be found on the harvest area. If a group or single tree selection is used they will pay a rate for the various products....round pulp, veneer, logs, biomass chips. But as the fellas say, it's for the tree standing and has not been processed. For the $$/acre, before the big collapse, the rate was as high as $2000/acre in this area and usually no less than $500/acre even now. Many woodlots here, just don't have enough volume of higher value products to separate. Sometimes due to site, and a lot of times due to being "slobber logged" for years.

Thank You Sponsors!