Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Lets see...
Autumn it rains to much to get much sawing done ...but the surfing is good
Winter it just rains all the time....But the sufing is good
Spring it rains too much to get much sawing done.. but the sufing is good
Summer is too hot to do much sawing... but the water is cool for surfing

So I voted all seasons  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cedarman

Fall is best. Sitting around a campfire roasting hotdogs and marshmallows and telling stories.  Smell the new fallen leaves.

The only good thing about winter is that the ticks and chiggers are gone.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ARKANSAWYER

Yep! the orange makes me think about deer season.  Also I am portable alot and see lots of deer where I work.  Deer cross here in the log yard at home and I have seen deer tracks in the sawdust by Wanda.

Maybe I need to contact WM and see if I can get the blade guys to make a meat cutting blade for the mill.  I would suggest a 4 degree as the best choice now  ;D  You know if you got the deer chilled good it would be like sawing frozen logs.  You could chuck it with the feet up and start sawing stakes, then flip it side ways and split it down the middle.  Had a guy aske me if I could saw a deer onetime bit I told him he would have to buy the blade and $5 for the carwash.  It was a no go.  Me and the carwash guy is into it any way. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Patty

Could be because he is still pluckin' duck feathers out of the drain, Arky.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

Arky
Not so far out, as my hunting buddy decided to try just that one year. He skinned his deer and then put it in the freezer. He had a large (~3' diam wheels) band saw, and I think he had a meat cutting blade.  Then he actually did cut up the deer in his woodshop.  Cleaning up afterwards was near impossible, and there was a distinct lingering oder other than sawdust, but most importantly they couldn't stand to eat the venison. The bone dust and fat smeared across the meat and when eating the venison, it had a very gamey taste. His wife said "Never again". 
I am just the opposite. I debone and 'de-fat' the deer and only package the lean meat, larger muscles and loins for cooking on the grill, and most of the rest into 1" cubes for 1 # packages of stew meat.  No gamey flavor at all.

Bow hunting begins this coming Saturday.

Nice buck in that pic Arky.  I saw three bucks together two weeks ago, still in velvet, and all good size (but not that big).  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gary

From my expriences of cutting up a deer you DO NOT want to use any bandsaw that was not made for cutting meat . I tried useing a small wood bandsaw to cut a deer. The mess was not worth it. I do use a sawsall to cut my deer in half I just buy a new blade for it every year. I butcher about 60 deer a year.

Patty

Yep, the old Sawzall is great for cutting up meat. While we certainly don't butcher 60 deer a year, we do quite a few, and anything that saves time and work, is a good thing.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

mike_van

Late fall - bare trees - grey sky - wood smoke - Now, where did I leave that snow shovel????
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

PawNature

My favorite is Spring cause everything is coming alive instead of dying.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Jodi

Well, I like them all. Summer because it's hot and the lakes are just the right temp. Spring because of all the pretty blossoms. Winter because it's cozy, and the mountains look gorgeous when covered in snow. Then Autumn. Leaves blowin, and the frost making everything shimmer. Then of course I love the rain priduced during each of them. ::) ;D

ARKANSAWYER

Patty would you believe that there are still duck feathers in the rafters of that bay.   :o  I think all the fish scales are gone though.  ;)

I guess I will forget about the blade for Wanda and get a blade for my sawsall.   Most of the time I just drop the deer off at the processors and pick up white packegs.

Bow season starts 1 Oct here and runs till Feb.  We have a 3 point rule here where to be a legal buck he must have 3 points longer then 1 inch on one side.   I like the 3 points for better eating. (two ears and one tail)  :D
ARKANSAWYER

chisel

Any of them except winter. The older I get the further south I want to move. Spring and fall are a tie with me. This time of year feeds my soul...especially when I'm outside all day helping my dad with the corn/soybean harvest.

SwampDonkey

I like fall the best. The smell of the woods after a fall rain, the color of hardwoods, no flies, no heat. I don't hate winter though because my cellar is full of nice hardwood and things slow down.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Ed_K

Late fall, it's eazier loggin  ;D. And mud season runs second, cause we're sugarin  8).
Ed K

mometal77

They are all nice.  The nice thing about winter is it seems time stands still.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Phorester

Winter.  Love it.  Air smells better.  Coffee tastes better.  Sleep better at night. 

Sprucegum

I forgot to mention the smell of highbush cranberries in the fall, I love it. I'm inhaling as deeply as I can and the wife(a praire girl) is looking around asking "What's that stink?" ;D ;D

woodbowl

I had to vote, "Like them all" because they are all great and I can't imagine just one season. However, if I was asked which season do I like the best considering I live in the SE, work and sweat like a horse and stay so tired that it is hard to think straight........well........winter! ;) Now that is a Florida winter. I've got to say, fall is a mighty fine all around season for comfort.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

maple flats

I answered Fall, because it is deer season. Runs from 9/27 til mid Dec. Just love it. But it is closely followed by winter. Do most of my logging and lots of other outdoor work in the winter. I can work for hours on end during winter. Never have a problem keeping warm as long as I'm working. Don't get overheated either. When I start to get too warm just take off a layer. Dress much lighter than most but always in layers. When I am out of the wind I am often working in my shirt sleaves during winter. The woods are soooo pretty and everything except me is at rest. I just love it. No bugs, no sweating, my drinking water keeps cold without any ice. It's just right. 8) 8) ;D  Fall and winter are followed by spring, pretty good, then summer and bugs, heat, sweat, Oh did I mention the heat? I do not do well in the heat and my water gets warm, yuk!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.