Sponsors:

Poll: Internet shopping

Started by Ron Wenrich, December 04, 2005, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pigman

Yep, buy  woodworking supplies and tools. Also buy livestock supplies. 
Kind of weird to be the first to vote. Never done that before. Reminds me of the time I voted in a pork checkoff in my county,  they published the results in the local paper and I was the only one that voted. Talk about secret voting.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Modat22

I'm a Lee valley / ebay kind of fella.
remember man that thy are dust.

chet

No box for me to check.  ;)  I do some but I wouldn't classify it as quite a bit.  Mostly specialty tools, parts or woodworking supplies.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Paul_H

I would vote the same way as Chet.Bought a few tools and a resaw over the internet and have also compared and then bought local.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sprucebunny

I'm with Chet and Paul. I've bought a few things and investigated for in-state purchase. Some of the places that i might have bought something on the internet either didn't sell online, didn't support my Mac OS or I ended up having to order on the phone for some other reason.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

OLD_ JD

I almost never shop by internet ;)..i like to see by my own ,touch and feel waterver i pay for :)
canadien forest ranger

beenthere

I'm with Chet and Paul and Sprucebunny, and it seems I keep the UPS driver stopping about 1-3 times a week. Sites I have had most activity with are McMaster-Carr, Surplus Center, and ToolCrib (now Amazon.com). There are others, and sometimes I just look, price it with Shipping, and then buy locally if about the same price.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CHARLIE

i'm in Chet's catagory.  How's dat make ya feel Chet? 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

solodan

I'm with Chet, Paul,  Sprucebunny,  beenthere, and Charlie.  Hows that make you feel Charlie smiley_really_happy. Sometimes Lucky (the UPS driver) stops everyday one week, and then I don't see him for two more weeks. I buy stuff from Bailey's quite a bit, sometimes on the Internet, if I know exactly what it is, but usually I call them.

gizmo

I like buying on ebay for NEW items. No sales tax but be careful because they can rip ypu off on the shipping. these are things you have to weigh out. If you buy it local you can take it back and get your money back.  bought on ebay you usually have to Eat your bargain if it wasn't wht it appeaed to be...I do buy a lot of stuff on ebay and soooo far have been lucky..

Furby

Don't forget, you are required (in most states) to pay/declare that sales tax on your income tax return. ;)

Bro. Noble

Geeze,  if I were like Chet and Paul,  I sure wouldn't admit it :D :D

I don't do much shopping of any kind anywhere ::)

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

Noble,
I think maybe I'll ask Jeff if he can dress you up a bit more  ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bro. Noble

Paul,

I sure hope he doesn't put me in a suit and tie like some of those BC loggers wear ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

That would be just plain ridicules.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

iain

Jeff you forgot to add his flashing nose :D

iain

Roxie

:D :DPoor Bro. Noble! 
I don't Christmas shop in stores.  It's the internet all the way.  They even have a gift wizard that helps ya find things for those hard to buy folks.  The selection is great and I always find exactly what I need. 
Say when

Jeff

Quote from: iain on December 05, 2005, 03:32:04 AM
Jeff you forgot to add his flashing nose :D

iain

My understanding is that It blinks only once the chokers are set. He's the choker setter/whistle punk.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

I'm with Roxie..

I am a bit of an ebay junkie...  Sad, but true...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

OneWithWood

Some things I will buy online and some things I need to see before I buy.  For shoes I will go to a local store to get the right size and check out the fit and feel and then purchase through Zappos.com online.  If I can support one of the local family owned businesses I will do that.  All the shoe stores are chain stores now.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Larry

Internet if at all possible...its at least 40 mile round trip for me to shop locale and the selection/price is poor.  I ordered 3 "O" rings the other day for less than a dollar.  Shipping was I think $4 so compare the cost and time to the shopping local option.

Amazon.com is my favorite...even got one of their credit cards that I use for everything.  And they just keep sending me these $25 gift certificates in return  for using there card. 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Mike_Barcaskey

tried flea-bay a couple of times a few years ago and got burnt, haven't been back
like OLD JD, I like to pick it up and feel it, plus I want someone I can look in the eye to beech at if something aint right
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Patty

We gals think alike.  :)

I do most all of my shopping online, except for groceries.  The brown guy stops in daily.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

crtreedude

I don't have much option BUT the internet, etc. Not much selection down here.
So, how did I end up here anyway?