iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If not Bailey's, who?

Started by shootingarts, November 29, 2013, 11:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootingarts

Quote from: sweetjetskier on December 01, 2013, 09:19:16 PM
I just received an order I placed from Treestuuf.com.

Fast service, all items in stock, best of all, free shipping for most items with a $100 order.

On another note the Stihl FG2 is not a current item, may be available at some dealers though.

I picked one up a month ago, quality built sharpener throughout, worth the $$ if you can find one.

Thanks, good to know about good service and free shipping over a hundred dollars at Treestuff!

I'm going to keep my nose to the ground trying to sniff out a used or dead stock FG-1 or FG-2. Not willing to part with $220 or so for a new one once tax is added in but if and when I stumble on one at a price I'm willing to pay I'll score it, seems to be the nicest of these units. Might sic my nephew on the local Stihl shop and get him to see what they can scare up. He has a lawn service and quite a few acres of woods at his home where he is always finding another tree or three to take down so he does a lot more business with them than I do and a lot more often. They might cut him a sweet deal now on dead stock.

Hu

Al_Smith

I've been filing freehand or with a plate guide for 30 years now, so it's hard to change my ways.< quote Andy.

Now Andy either your age is wrong or you started filing chains at 6 years old .

Andyshine77

Right around that age when I first started. I've had an interest in saws and cutting wood most of my life. I spent many hours watching dad and older brother clear land and cut firewood, and was better than them at filing chain by about 10 or so. They'd cut I'd sharpen the chains. First new saw I bought myself was a 610 at HQ warehouse, I was 15 YO. Didn't know much about the better brands at the time.
Andre.

Al_Smith

Say what a 610 Mac? Well if you come right down to it as a firewooder it was just about as good as it got that long ago .

I don't know much ado about filing a chain .Some spend a kings ransome just to file the things.It's not rocket science just a learned method .

The old standby which I must admit is the old stamped steel Oregon file guide,still about 8-9 dollars .I seldom use them but on occasion it comes out .

shootingarts

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 02, 2013, 07:13:07 AM
Say what a 610 Mac? Well if you come right down to it as a firewooder it was just about as good as it got that long ago .

I don't know much ado about filing a chain .Some spend a kings ransome just to file the things.It's not rocket science just a learned method .

The old standby which I must admit is the old stamped steel Oregon file guide,still about 8-9 dollars .I seldom use them but on occasion it comes out .

I have always sharpened free hand, just a bare file. The eyes ain't what they used to be and I have to admit that I can't see a hair thin air gap between a file and tooth anymore. Last chain I sharpened free hand I thought I was doing beautimus until I went and got a set of reading glasses I use as magnifiers. Got to poke my nose within a few inches of whatever I am looking at for those things to focus then I saw that there were a handful of teeth that weren't sharpened all the way to the top. Not only didn't sharpen the chain but now I have cut a spot the file falls into lower than it should be.

My hearing has annoyed others for years, I've had a gimp in my giddy-up for decades, all minor annoyances but I sure miss my eyes!

I did buy one of the Oregon stamped steel guides. Found the blessed thing was bent when I got home and went to use it. Seven dollars worth of gas to return an eight dollar guide! I do tend to go a bit overboard about things so if I'm going to buy a set-up to sharpen, I want to be able to sharpen very well, not just good enough. It won't be too surprising if I build something for myself or vastly modify what I get once I have a basis to work from. Time sharpening isn't an issue for me, I can sharpen when I can't do other things so a manual set-up that does a better job than most grinders will suit me fine. Of course if I run into the right deal on the right grinder I'll score that. Got a coupon in the mail from harbor fright yesterday, their sharpener is on sale for thirty dollars. Not quite what I have in mind!

Hu

Al_Smith

The Oregon guides used to be a tad more stout than they are today .I took that picture to show a young lady on another forum what it looked like .She was having a hard time keeping the angle right .

I'm with you on that eyesight thing .I about have to be in natural sunlight to do a good job with a file although my long range is still 20/20 .The close up stuff my arms are too short .Far sighted .I can almost count the hairs on a flys behind at 100 yards but if it were on  my nose I couldn't  tell it from an eagle .

Andyshine77

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 02, 2013, 07:13:07 AM

AL I use those guides most of the time now. That way you always get the proper hook, but you can change top plate angle as you please. Most down the Mac-610, but I cut more wood with that thing than any other saw I now have, and it never gave me any trouble. Wish I still had it, but I traded it for a Miller MIG welder, so I came out OK on that deal..   
Andre.

sharkey

Hi Guys,
Just remember on a chisel chain the corner does the work.  When its gone the chain stops cutting.  Did you look at the ATOP?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_rzTVkpss

shootingarts

Quote from: sharkey on December 03, 2013, 05:04:57 PM
Hi Guys,
Just remember on a chisel chain the corner does the work.  When its gone the chain stops cutting.  Did you look at the ATOP?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_rzTVkpss

I did look at the ATOP. Same issue as some other things, I have a hard time parting with $200 for a guide fixture. Might be worth it but more than I want to pay, most particularly for something I haven't held in my hand, maybe used before.

Hu

Al_Smith

:) Chain filing has as many opinions of how to do it as my favorite debate subject of mix oils and ratios there of .

I only use a variation of square filed for my version of a race chain and that doesn't happen that often. That's PNW soft wood stuff in my opinion .Maybe some of those Mich. pines  .

I take the gullet( round chisel ) clear down to the tie strap so it will hold a larger chip before it rocks out and whatever angle it's factory ground at just use it .I can't see changing the angle every time the wood changes .Lawdy all you would get done is filing and no cutting .

shootingarts

Al,

I do a lot of fairly rough work, deadfalls, fencerows and what not. I also do a good bit of noodling to cut bowl and hollow vessel blanks from logs. I'm thinking I will run one chain and profile for all clean work and one chain and profile for the rough work. I think semi chisel is a given for the rough work. I want to run full chisel in the should be cleaner wood and I want to at least try square filing.

Taking my own thread off topic but have you got any thoughts about a chain and tooth profile for noodling only? Usually broadleaf trees but we have a very long growing season down here and I think that and the amount of rainfall tends to make our trees down here in Louisiana a bit softer than they might be in a place with shorter growing seasons and less rainfall. Assume all noodling will be in freshly felled log sections that were from healthy trees just as a working assumption when considering what chain profile and whether to run skip, semi skip, or full comp.

No longer a question of not Bailey's anyway, they were supposed to get more Granberg's in today.

Hu

Al_Smith

I really don't change anything except as I said file the gullets deeper .

As far as semi chisel I suppose it might be best for dirty wood  but I seldom use it .Most of it the last few years has been EAB killed ash which is hard as a rock .Just suck it up and file the chisel chain more often .You might run  a tank full of fuel between filings and you might not .It doesn't do any good to try for two tanks all that does is over work the saw .

Little Al

Quote from: beenthere on November 30, 2013, 02:38:38 PM
Hu
Are you interested in the older all metal filing guide? Like this one?

The older Oregon branded  chain sharpening tools [ grinders & the tool pictured] were manufactured in Italy by Tecomec

shootingarts

Quote from: beenthere on November 30, 2013, 05:33:01 PM
I see newer model is 23736a, and this one is older p/n 23736, made in Italy for the Oregon Saw Chain Division, Omark Industries.
No indication Craftsman had anything to do with it.
This is all metal, but for the adjusting screw knobs.
Your call. 

There are some things about the Oregon I'm not comfortable with. I think I'm going to chase the older Granberg's. I did much appreciate your offer though and I just donated ten dollars to the forestryforum in your name just to say thanks for the offer.

Hu

Thank You Sponsors!