iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar Pine and an LT40Super in California... with Pix...

Started by octam1, March 11, 2013, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octam1

Here are some pix of a sugar pine we milled near Twian Harte CA with the LT40 Super... I'll tell you, we really enjoy having the Super Hydro! We enjoyed using the LT40 manual but all the hydro's and added things with the super make for much more productive milling days for us...

here was the job site... we ended up having to buck the log and help move them into place for milling... it was supposed to be done when we got there, but it was going way slower for them than they thought it would and they where having saw issues. So we stepped in and got things ready, then moved in the mill... kind of a tight area, right in the driveway, uphill on one side and downhill on the other... lol

we got set up and started... we ended up with six logs, the shortest being 10' and the longest about 16'... all is getting cut into 1x6 for interior wall panneling...

Bob and Rudy getting a ten second breather from offbearing 1x6's from the mill... I think they were pretty supprized at just how much straight wood I can cut with the super40 in a short amount of time...

Roger and Rudy stacking 1x6's on their trailor... as you can see in the log on the ground, the logs did have some blue stain to them... still looked pretty dang good tho..

three 1x6's at a time got peeled off...

just gotta ignor dads finger at the top of the pic... lol... sometimes they get in the way of the camera on the phone  :D

the sawdust sure adds up quick with this super40, we had to add a snow shovel to the list of things to carry along...

Bob was enjoying his quick breathers between trips to the trailor...

getting pretty full pretty quickly...

another one loaded on and ready to cut...

dad was talking to Niel the neighbor about how much of a workout the three offbear'ers where getting...

Roger and Bob posing with the buttlog, 43" top to bottom and 37" side to side...

Gotta get the $25 066 out for this one...

thats about as high as she goes, and that was the small end...

peeled the bark off for sum wiggle room and I had to do sum whittling on this one... everyone was tired so I didnt get many pictures of this one, but I had to cut it like a stop sign to get it down to a manageable size as I was milling...  :D

now its time for clean up... long day, we where all pooped...

They hauled out two very full trailor loads of 1x6's to be stacked and stickered at a different location...

The 1x6's came out nice, and chould make for some pretty nice interior panneling when its run thru the shaper and finished...

That was the most 1x6 we have ever cut all at one time... we ended up with somewhere around 3000 bd ft, I'd have to look at my notes to be sure... but we thought it was alot... lol...

in addition to all the 1x6, we did cut two 25" wide 2" thick slabs to be used as bar tops and six 6x6 posts... and we enjoyed every minute of it...

KnottHead Custom Sawing & FabWorx
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

WoodMizer LT40SHDG38 w/AS2 & Debarker
Lucas 8-20 Swinger w/60" Slabber & Planer
Solar/Dehumidifier Kiln in the worx
Stihl - 2x 026's, 044, 046, 2x 066, MS660, 2x 088 & 3x 075AV

Magicman

Thanks for sharing the pictures and narrative of such a wonderful job, and those "denim" boards will fit right in.  I know of a location in Oklahoma that is dying lumber to try to get that blue beetle killed look.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good pic, extremely good. All your pictures tell a story.
Good job.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Leigh Family Farm

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

m wood

Yup, peter said it, those Sierra Nevada's are some rugged country.  I feel like such a flatlander now, missing my mountains again :'(.  Octam1, you got a nice saw, and some nice lumber from those pines, and a nice bunch of pictures.  Thanks for sharing those.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

mikeb1079

great pics, looks like you have that 40 super dialed in.  thanks for sharing your day.   ;D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

Wow Charles, what beautiful logs!  Did you cut the boards at 7/8" thick? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

octam1

Thanks guys! and we spend our fair share of time in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, we have another place in the hills, we have had our mill in some places you wouldnt really expect to see a sawmill lol... that driveway was kind of cramped for space, we managed to do alright... and we really like the quality of the logs we mill here in the mountains... we have a couple different kinds of pines, firs, black oaks and incense cedars in the foothills...

We try to do the best we can on all the projects we take on... Thanks again for the kudos!
KnottHead Custom Sawing & FabWorx
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

WoodMizer LT40SHDG38 w/AS2 & Debarker
Lucas 8-20 Swinger w/60" Slabber & Planer
Solar/Dehumidifier Kiln in the worx
Stihl - 2x 026's, 044, 046, 2x 066, MS660, 2x 088 & 3x 075AV

customsawyer

Nice pics and lumber. Do you use your drag back? I don't know if you tried it on that last log or not but you can gain a couple of inches on the right side blade guide roller if you lower the side supports a little bit. Then scoot the log over a little bit. You have to be careful doing this as it will increase the chance of the log going off of that side of the mill. If you know this trick sorry for the old news.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

Nice sawing job. No one could complain on the customers end with the challenges and set backs thrown in.

I got a kick out of your narrative as well. Made me smile. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!