iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw mill build

Started by TreeStandHunter, February 02, 2019, 10:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

oh, hey. Look. a pic of the spring. Flip the axle. That will lower the trailer a good 4"

TreeStandHunter

That's a great idea I should've done that in the first place. Thanks crusarius.
In the process of building my own mill.

Crusarius

It a terrible idea. But I am famous for those :)

Hopefully there is enough space to do that. there should be.

TreeStandHunter

Im pretty sure there is. 4" lower will give me a pretty comfortable height for moving lumber off the mill. I know it's going to look pretty goofy with the track being on that lower tubing but I don't know of any other way to get the track straight, using the salvage steel is great for cost savings but the trade off is working with imperfect materials

Crusarius

When I built my log arch I used reclaimed steel. More than half of the fab time was spent cleaning it up. It only cost me my time though. I really prefer to work with clean new steel. Especially on something that I need straight.

TreeStandHunter

That did the trick Crusarius. I got the axle position perfect, moved it by hand with nominal effort about 20 feet so it was outta the way of my wife's parking spot  :D

Crusarius

Perfect. looks easy to put a fender on that to.

TreeStandHunter

I am to the point where I am gonna start on the sawhead. I have an opportunity to get this old bandsaw for next to nothin and am curious what you guys think about using the parts from it (the 36" wheels) for the mill. The price would be cheaper than buying the 19" surplus pulleys for the wheels. I have heard that these old bandsaws have to run at a slower rpm though because the wheels can fail and come apart at fast speeds? I am up for the hassle of making this work for me I just want to know that it will be safe to run it. What do you guys think?

Crusarius

I think I would rather have that in my shop. If you go with 36" wheels your going to need a very long band to get any type of cut width.

Thank You Sponsors!