iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID plz

Started by gersus, June 23, 2019, 06:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gersus

Thought this was maple when I cut it but it isnt. Mid missouri on a hillside. It was dead so there werent any leaves to help. 
Thanks! The piece of wood on the right in the top photo is sugar maple for reference. 

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gersus

Its definitely not oak. Doesnt have the flecks, and the whole logs is that real pale color. And no distinguishable end grain rings. Oh, its also light, noticeably lighter in density than maple. 

WDH

End grain pic does not help.  Cut is too fuzzy.  Can you take a razor knife and get a clean cut on the end grain?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Any Big Tooth Aspen around you?  I had a log that I knew was a red oak, then I found a nail deep in it and there was zero stain in the wood, took a while to figure it out but it was Big Tooth Aspen, had been an urban tree that was brought in. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

gersus

Here is a close up of the end grain. 

According to the internet big tooth aspen shouldnt be in this area. Thanks though!

gersus

I stand corrected. Red oak it is. Thanks for all the help! I was thinking red oak had the reddish heartwood. 

WDH

Good job on the end grain pic.  Those rays are evidence. 

lxskllr

Wonder why it's light? I still marvel over how light just about everything else is after cutting oak.

Thank You Sponsors!