iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I do have to haul the generator out of the garage. But One flick of the switch in the basement and I am all set. If generators were out 18 years ago,the way they are now,I probably would of got a stand by one. I had more money 18 years ago. But for more than 10 years,if we lost power for 2 hours,that was a long time. Than things changed,for some reason.
Kinda like OWB,was not a big deal 18 years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

SwampDonkey, I wired in a 7500 watt genset through the panel in the shop that's fed off a 100 amp breaker in the main panel in the house.  Disconnect the mains, turn off a few circuits and I'm in pretty good shape when the power goes out. Procedures must be followed.  Probably not the right method for everybody, but if you're comfortable with it, it's fine.  Using a panel that's designed for the purpose is a better solution.
HM126

Bandmill Bandit

yes btulloh that works good for some of us but generally a 100 amp transfer switch will do the job for a house and they are not real expensive either. 

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Southside

btulloh is right - the roads were cleared with amazing speed this time.  I spotted two VDOT plow trucks come by during the day yesterday, they swept the intersections wide and all - which was actually shocking, normally we see a contracted farm tractor come by with a rigged up Myers plow around 10:00 PM and by then all he is doing is making the ice nice and smooth better than any Zamboini would ever hope to do.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on December 11, 2018, 10:11:21 AM
yes btulloh that works good for some of us but generally a 100 amp transfer switch will do the job for a house and they are not real expensive either.

Usually run around $1000 including a generator cord and the labour. I've had a couple houses wired that way in the last 4 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

btulloh

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 11, 2018, 01:15:09 PMUsually run around $1000 including a generator cord and the labour. I've had a couple houses wired that way in the last 4 years.

A real transfer switch is the better choice for sure. The reason that doesn't work for me is that I'm feeding from 100ft away from the house and it's not practical to put the xfer switch at the house (at main panel) where it belongs.  Just my particular situation.

In either case, the 7500 watts works well for me, except I can't run the heat pump, oven, dryer, welders, compressors, etc. Over the last ten years we've only had three outages that exceeded four hours, and they were around 24 hours.  (Knock on wood.)  I can run the fridge, coffee pot, lights, etc., plus some entertainment, and most importantly the oil burner which supplies my aux heat.
HM126

SwampDonkey

You could have the kitchen stove done, but you can only run the burners. They won't complain none if your range is separate from the burner, but the right guy will refuse if the range and burner is one unit. So we just plug in the hot plate for burners. I can run the furnace fan for the wood, that is only 1/4 horse. Can't run the 20 kw electric though. ;D Power outages here range from 1 to 6 hours unless it is a catastrophe like a bad ice storm or hurricane winds that we wasn't suppose to get. When trees come down, ya ain't got no power. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

btulloh

Roger that.  I reckon trees and hurricanes are not as plentiful in NB as around here.  My stove top is gas, so that's always available.  If I can get up in the morning, drink some coffee, take a hot shower, and keep the stuff from spoiling in the freezer, the rest is just gravy.  I'm only 2 grid-miles from the sub-station, and my power comes from a priority line, so it's better than average on power outages.
HM126

thecfarm

This is the first minus we had this season,without the wind chill factor,-5. I do not like to put that little line in front of a number. But in a few days above freezing,maybe 40. :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Pulphook

Same here Downeast cfarm. Then the heatwave in the 40's with rain coming this weekend.
The only good coming out of the chill is that the ground and puddles are hard for felling and butt hauling out of the woodlot. Up and down temps so we don't get acclimated . The saws don't like the single numbers either.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

thecfarm

I am just about to go out and enjoy some 26° weather. Just got back from the groomers for the dog. Plugged in the tractor and I am good to go. Not that it needs to be plugged in at 26°. But I feel it helps out on the  motor.  

Pulphook

Hard ground + solid water = excellent cutting for next winter.
This Downeast soil is bony and poor for anything but spruce and fir and some pioneers like birch, red/soft maple, some white ash and cedar .
Not so far inland it's a different story for hardwoods.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

SwampDonkey

Been + or - 1 here for 3 days, and warms up to about 12 or 14. No wind, just cold out, but on the toasty side in the house. Too dang hot at night with wood furnace going. :D :D

thecfarm

We are on the correct side of the thermometer this morning,4°.

chevytaHOE5674

It was below zero here and things were froze up good and solid. Made feeding cattle and skidding firewood a breeze.

Now last night it warmed to 35° and with full sun it's already 40°. Guessers are calling for near 50 tomorrow. 

Old Greenhorn

Been way below normal for 3 weeks now, teens to 30's with snow, now it's 40f at 4:30am. Up early for the long ride to a GOL class. Gonna be a long day in the wet slushy woods and probably fog up on the mountain. Weird weather for sure, wish I could take advantage of it to get some work done at home but with this bad back I am lucky just to make it through the class. Then rain tomorrow night and snow Monday.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

OWB takes a lot less wood at 28° than the singles numbers we have been having.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Yes, never had a fire in the furnace here all night. Built up a little smudge this morning. Only got 1" of snow over night. Waiting for the snow plow on the road to go by so I can clean up the yard.

Chuck White

Above normal temps here yesterday and today,  34° yesterday morning, with a high of 42°, this morning starting out at 36°!

Quite a bit of the snow is gone now, but we'll get it back, I'm sure!  :snowball:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

40°!! And the sun is bright!!!

sawguy21

Very mild here as well. 6C, 40F, during the day and above freezing at night. El Nino is not doing the log haulers any favors, the landings are mud holes. We will likely get a green Christmas which while not common is not unheard of.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

My old friend rain is back getting my yard nice and saturated. Flood warnings and 50s this weekend. Disappointing for jul season. Sitting in the house, drinking rum, and watching Star Trek TOS reruns.

SwampDonkey

Was 40F here yesterday, had to leave the furnace alone, too hot. :D

40F up here don't dent the snow much at all, need 60F. I couldn't see it sink away none anyway. :D

Coyote and fox tracks all over the place, no sign of the lynx.

thecfarm

I have 26° here now. Suppose to get above freezing again today. Looks like all clouds.

Chuck White

Well, the ground looks a little more solid this morning!

It's 28° right now, with a high of 38° in the afternoon!

I hate this freeze-and-thaw weather!  :snowball:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!