iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

The snow has FINALLY quit here but the rain has started with a vengeance. Flooding is becoming an issue. Several highways have been closed due to slides.
Eight men died when they got nailed by avalanches while snowmobiling a week and a half ago.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

So Jeff
Do ya think it will get below 0 F  ??? ???    ;D ;D

What are they predicting? Here it is forecasted for about 0°F
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I think Tom is down there with his cane, pulling on the tail of the jet stream like it's curtain call or something. There, you want ice, you'll have it. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

The long term forecast here is calling for above 0 temps mid-next week!  Probably because all the cold air is moving down south. 

Warbird

*sigh*  -43°F this morning with patches of very thick ice fog.  We haven't seen warmer than -30 at the house in over 2 weeks now.  They are calling for slightly warmer temps this Monday but I'm ready for the cold snap to break now.  Unfortunately, my weather controlling device does not seem to be working.  :D

Jeff, are they still calling for record breaking low temps next week for you guys?  We've got family in MI.  Should give 'em a call and make sure they're going to be okay.

OneWithWood

My instruments are detecting a major swelling of hot air eminating from points south of me.  That should counter the downward slide of coolness coming from tundra land.

:D

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Warbird

Quote from: OneWithWood on January 09, 2009, 11:44:22 AM
My instruments are detecting a major swelling of hot air eminating from points south of me.

All right...  who farted?  ;D

Tom

Warbird, better said 'round here.  "who fahrd that shot?"  The response of which is "I fahrdit". :-\

Roxie

Say when

Jeff

They are still calling for it to be really cold. I have not heard the "Coldest ever" statement since that one time, but they are talking about day time highs staying below zero starting maybe tuesday and lasting for a while.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

I guess I have gone native, I can't even imagine a temperature where water turns solid anymore, unless it is in a beverage, of course... ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

We had 3 inches of snow yesterday and it's been snow squall weather all day here, nothing to measure. Never warmed up much, but it's been hovering around 10 F at night here and getting up to 20 or 25 for the last few days. It's 11 F and cleared out now, I see a plane flying over with it's flashing wing lights. Full moon sunday so it's almost like daylight with the snow cover, well not exactly. :D

I snow shoed up the woodlot today and the moose have moved up into that cedar area for the winter as they always do. I never went way up that far. I took the camera and there was nothing fresh, no even a rabbit track, but with the squalls rabbit prints soon get smoothed over.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

That Alaska cold is suppose to get here Thursday and last 'til Saturday, then a second blast next week. Daytime highs.....near 0 F. ::)  No record, we get 2 or 3 days a winter like that. It has warmed up 70-90 degrees in Alaska as that cold exits up there. No it's no 90 degrees, it rose 90 degrees, so it should be near 30 F now. :D

Warbird

Not yet, here.  The warmest day they are calling for in the Interior, so far, is Thursday.  They are calling for a high of 20°F.  The coldest I saw at my house was -47°F, so that'd be a warm up of 67°F.  :)  The warm temps are supposed to last through this weekend and into next week but who knows.  I certainly hope it lasts, as I'll be a couple hundred miles away from home, and 40 miles inland, away from any roads, in the middle of nowhere, hunting moose!  ;D

DouginUtah

I noticed on the news last week that it was -80° F in Tok, AK. Now that's cold.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Warbird

That is impressive.  Was that including the wind chill?  Coldest ambient temp I've seen is -65°F.  With wind chill, coldest I've seen was well below -100°F.

Gary_C

After watching the local news and weather tonight, I have decided that it is just too complicated to have any of these storms come thru anymore. Why they have a guy that just sits there on the telephone talking to other people and his job is to determine when the best time is to send the snow plows out. Good grief, it used to be so easy, send them out when it snows.  ::)

And then there is the weather man, yes it is a man on this station. He had about seven different colors on the local map to warn us of the areas that have winter weather watches, warnings, blizzard watches and warnings, snow advisories, and I am now confused on what else he said. There are different start and stop times for each area and color, what ever the color designates.  :o

And then the pretty young gal came on and she was standing out in the cold to tell us that she had been driving around all day in sometimes whiteout conditions and she had been driving past many cars in the ditch. Well that was just too much. I guess she thought her job was too important to stop and see if anyone needed help, she just kept driving by those cars in the ditch. But I guess that was somebody elses job to stop and help.

It's time to stop having all these storms, it's getting just too complicated!!!!!  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

That's so funny, Gary.  I have thought the same thing so many times.  I guess that is why they call them reporters.  They don't do anything, they just tell you what they think is happening.   The problem is that they forget that you can look out of the window too.

We have a bunch of them down here that tell us we are having a hurricane.  Like it would never enter your mind that there was a stiff wind blowing when you saw the neighbor's house fly by your front door.  :D

I watched that cat on Fox News, talk about the Government should be ashamed of itself by not having water for people to drink and stuff like that, as he was standing on a bridge with the wind whistling through his ears.  'Course, behind him was his big camper bus, full of food and supplies and water and stuff.  It never occurred to him to share some of it with the others on the bridge.  :D  I guess That was someone else's job too.

To show how some of their minds work, I'll never forget the incident of the news reporters who set up cameras and stations on the beach in Kuwait when the U.S. Troops were scheduled for a Beach Head.  Those idiots were going to sit there with cameras and take pictures of it like it was a football game. 

Hello!!  Idiots!!  There's gonna be a bunch of shooting going on here in a minute.  What side are you on?

Then, to let us know that they really aren't as stupid as they look, they reiterate all of the Presidents speeches to us, so that we know what he said.  It has never occurred to any of them that our U.S. President probably speaks English like we are supposed to be able to do.   

Sure makes you wonder, don't it?

Do you reckon that it would still snow if those guys went and got a hot cup of coffee and played poker? :D

Gary_C

Quote from: Tom on January 12, 2009, 09:55:09 PM

Do you reckon that it would still snow if those guys went and got a hot cup of coffee and played poker? :D

Well actually I think that is what the snow plow drivers are now doing while that one guy sits there and waits for that reporter to report enough cars in the ditch. You have to wait for the drama to build of course. Kind of like the hurricane reporters standing on the beach till the wind tumbles them down the street. Then they can report this is the worst storm in the last 400 minutes or whatever.  :D :D

That would be a reporters dream for the next war. They could set up bleachers on the battlefield and bring in the golf reporters to shush the crowd. Then the reporter could say in a very hushed voice "now he is taking aim, and boom, there it goes" or "on the way, over, " and the forward reporter would say, "on the way, wait."   ::)

It's kind of scary even joking about it cause you never know these days.   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Warbird

There are a lot more roads these days and it costs a lot to plow them.  I'd rather pay 1 or 2 folks to make darn sure the roads need plowing before sending out 10 or 20 guys in heavy equipment.  Equipment that will consume hundreds of gallons of fuel and need a lot of repairs when they come back in.

PineNut

Have you ever noticed how these TV weather actors put up a fancy weather map that may or may not have any good information and then dance around in front of it? Of course it is only on the screen for a few seconds before they change to another map and dance in front of it. It got so bad locally that I have gone to the Internet for my weather info.  I find that it is more accurate and specific to my area than the media weather.

Also note how these actors go running around unsafe situations and they like a true "professional" tell you not to do what they just did.

fuzzybear

Well it finally "warmed up".  -30 today.  After a solid month of -50 it's like t-shirt weather.  At least I can cut for more than 2 minutes before the saw freezes solid. :(  Well at least I can get back to cutting now.  Just have to get all the equipment thawed out and running. ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

SwampDonkey

I like our weatherman in Presque Isle Maine. You actually know what is going on when he's done. The farmers around here sometimes depend on a 2 or 3 day forecast when harvesting grain, not so much potatoes because you just go and dig until you get rained out. They also give blight information and aphid information for farmers. But the CBC doesn't seem to think the farming community is all that important, all they give is coastal weather. Squat all about anything useful. As far as I know fish like water and how many potato fields are in the middle of the city? And they act about like those you guys mention. Watching their cast, you'd think it was all a joke.   If we didn't have local weather out of Presque Isle, we would have anything. Heck CBC is calling for rain on Wednesday and it's going to snow here, no mention of rain out of Preque Isle at all. Again Saint John weather, nothing about Carleton and Victoria weather other than to say it's going to be colder over night.  Locals will hear that CBC weather and expect to have St. John weather. ::)

farmerdoug

It is 32°F here right now.  In eight hours they are saying it will be 6°F.  There is definitly a change coming, all of the powderery snow we have will be heading for Canada right quick when the winds kick in.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Don K

Tom, you might better get you some wool socks. Warbird has sent us a late Christmas present of some artic air. I am forecasted to get some upper teens for a few nights.  Haven't seen that in a while. I have plenty of firewood though so I am ready. We have had record frosts this year and too much rain. My turnips and collards have drownt. :'(

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!