iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Warmed up to 17* here. Supposed to drop back to around Zero tomorrow for a few days. The lake effect snow just keeps piling up, its snowed pretty much everyday since last Sunday. I've had to plow more in the last week than the rest of the winter. Looks like we are finally getting back to a "normal" winter.

SwampDonkey

Just one cold day here and the weekend is warmer in the forecast. It's always cold here the day before a warm spell. I know that sounds goofy, but for the last week it was mild, so one cold day ain't noth'n. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Wow, I am loving what we are having.  30's at night and 50's during the day.  Perfect.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Yeah, it's mild again here, in the 20's this morning before light. Easy on the wood pile.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

We had and still have a hard wind out of the west northwest, temperature is dropping. Looks like we may have some winter the rest of the week.
Bill

chevytaHOE5674

Its 10* out with sustained winds at 35mph and gusts to 55 and 60mph coming off the lake. Wind chills are getting close to 25 and 30 Below zero. And of course with that wind coming off the lake the snow just keeps falling. Plowed 8" yesterday, 6" on Friday, and there's 3-4" out there now and drifts about 1-2 feet tall in places. Thank goodness for a heat in the pickup, I really feel bad for some of my neighbors with snow blowers and stuff out there clearing snow in this weather.

thecfarm

That's a liitle cold with the wind blowing.  :( and coming off the lake too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Not looking forward to this coming week. :(  NOAA is saying daytime highs of 8 to12, overnights -8 to -12.  Late nights stoking the stoves.  Yuck.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

martyinmi

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 20, 2013, 09:25:26 AM
Its 10* out with sustained winds at 35mph and gusts to 55 and 60mph coming off the lake. Wind chills are getting close to 25 and 30 Below zero. And of course with that wind coming off the lake the snow just keeps falling. Plowed 8" yesterday, 6" on Friday, and there's 3-4" out there now and drifts about 1-2 feet tall in places. Thank goodness for a heat in the pickup, I really feel bad for some of my neighbors with snow blowers and stuff out there clearing snow in this weather.
Just got back from town with a State Journal in hand for my pretty bride(I'm romantic that way). One bank thermometer says 11* and another says 13*. We had 45+ mph gusts last night, but no snow. If you can, keep that white stuff up there!
The boy and I are getting ready to go in the woods and buck up some trees I felled a couple days ago. Wind is only gusting at around 25 mph now, so we shouldn't even feel it in the woods.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

SwampDonkey

Stiff wind out there right now and 36 F.  ;D

Autocar

Our wind has pretty well laid,but we picked up cloud cover this afternoon and the temperature is in the twentys. I hope it clears off by dark  ;).
Bill

snowstorm

a hot 41 here today the rest of the week highs 0 to 10

thecfarm

I had 4 this morning,12 out now. No clouds to keep the heat in.The cold is coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Yesterday we had a high of 36°F, but the wind was blowing at 35, gusting to 45mph.

Nothing outdoors that needed to be done, so stayed inside all day.

This morning, up at 7:00 and +2°F.

Want to go put up more sap line, but that's questionable at best, at this point.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

chevytaHOE5674

Its -3*F outside and according to the weather guessers that is supposed to be the high for today. Sustained winds at 20mph gusts to 45mph or so. And of course its snowing to beat the band out there with 6" of snow since late last night. Supposed to keep on snowing until Friday they say. Was out feeding the animals at 6 this morning and it was mighty cold with that wind. Now I'm trying to get up the ambition to go out and fire up the truck and get to plowing....

thecfarm

Must be the lake effect with the snow? Most times when it's that cold here in Maine,it does not snow. Most times when it's in the single numbers there is not a cloud in the sky. My Father would say,it has to warm up to snow. Usually it's in the high teens and 20 to snow.

chevytaHOE5674

Its a mix of lake effect and system snow. Typically lake effect snow is light and fluffy when its this cold, but the snow falling now is heavy and dense as it is system snow from a clipper. Days like these must be the reason we are near the 3rd snowiest city in the country..... 8)

SwampDonkey

0 this morning, a little wind, but not a driving wind, no snow moving. Only 5 here right now, and it sure feels it. I discovered the plow boy musta backed up and struck the mail box. Looks like it took the top part clean off, then he got out and set it on top of the post as if that was gonna cure it.  ::) So I see a lop sided mail box, went a moved some snow that blew in and seen the damage. Went and got some tools and some bolts because all the side rivets were pulled completely through. Did a real good number. So I put everything back together as best as one could. A half acre intersection and still have to back up over my mail box with the wing of the plow. We've had a new driver since last year, I think he needs to be taught how to drive first off, then how to plow. There, said my piece. Cold finger tips during the fix'n process, got a little bite on one finger tip but stood over the shop stove and thawed out and the sting disappeared, good sign. Hit your finger tip a crack with your hammer and you'll get the same feeling. ;D :D

Al_Smith

They missed it yesterday .Called for a low of near zero but it never got below 19 .Right now 11:30 it's 22 and dropping .60 percent forecast for snow Friday .

tyb525

Temps forecasted for below zero tomorrow morning, with wind chills around -25F. Brrr!

too bad our woodstove isn't working, man there is a huge difference between furnace heat and wood heat.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

tyb
What is it that a woodstove can't work?  Just add wood and light......... ;D

Agree that there is different heat from the wood. BIG difference.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Big time difference. With wood it heats more than the air, but the walls and the floors. :)

Is the stove still giving you draft troubles?

isawlogs

We are in a little cold snap for the week, it is -22C and going down for the night. Warming up for friday , and some snow with the warmer weather.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

tyb525

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 21, 2013, 06:17:12 PM
Big time difference. With wood it heats more than the air, but the walls and the floors. :)

Is the stove still giving you draft troubles?

Ever since the new liner was put in, almost zero draft. Last season, I cleaned it before the season, and in 2 months the thing was totally clogged with creosote. Even with a clean flue there was no draft, every time door was opened smoke filled the room, even if you opened all the vents and got the fire really roaring, it was still smokey. This was with good hardwood dried a year or two, same kind of stuff we've always burned.

So it's got to be something with the new liner. I know they put in a tee where the thimble in the wall connects to the liner, but they didn't cap off the bottom of the tee, so I think that is allowing more air to be sucked from the cleanout in the basement than through the stove.

Mom was supposed to have a different chimney guy come out and pull the liner to cap off the tee, but apparently that never materialized. Saves me from cutting firewood, but I enjoy doing that. Not burning wood sure does jack up the electric bill, even with a heat pump.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

I was kinda wondering if the liner reduced the volume of flow from what it was in the first place. I think it's fine to go from smaller to larger, but not the reverse.

Thank You Sponsors!