iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you like Bluegrass music...

Started by Roger2561, January 13, 2014, 04:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger2561

Watch the clip.  The young man playing the bass wrote this piece.  He and the one playing the acoustic guitar are my nephews.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEpmy_Z445Q&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXPk3cARmX5qTo8VwvtIcCQ

Roger
Roger

Magicman

Great !!  I always wonder about Bluegrass and also Zydeco music where they are going and how they will know when they get there.   ???   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Good stuff there Roger, lots of bluegrass in these parts, them boys are good! nice work on the music too, that setting looked like allot of fun!    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Paul_H

Great picking,nice and relaxed too.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Planman1954

Tell your nephews that the guys on the forum liked their pickin'!! That guy on the mandolin rivals Ricky Scaggs!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

giant splinter

Roger,
Very talented young men, have they recorded any albums so that us Bluegrass guys can buy a copy?
roll with it

Roger2561

Quote from: giant splinter on January 13, 2014, 12:07:53 PM
Roger,
Very talented young men, have they recorded any albums so that us Bluegrass guys can buy a copy?

Giant splinter - Both of my nephews belong to a Gospel Bluegrass Band call Nick Chandler and Delivered.  They recorded a CD which hit #4 on the Gospel bluegrass charts.  If you think the mandolin player in this clip is good, you should hear Nick Chandler.  He is some good!  I believe you can find some of their recordings on YouTube.   Roger
Roger

steamsawyer

Bluegrass... Now you're talking. These guys are good. 

I'm all loaded up for a little gig tonight... I'll get the guys to do this tune since it's already in my head.  Check my Youtube channel and you can see some of my band, Blue Cypress Bluegrass. You may have to weed through some sawmill videos though.

I don't think this young fellow wrote this particular tune. The title is, "John Hardy was a Desperate Little Man." I have been playing it for over 30 years and it was recorded by the original Carter Family back in 1928.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Roger2561

Alan, I stand corrected.   :-\  I went back and reread what he said and he said he taught the guys this piece.  He never said he wrote it.  Perhaps it was a fancy on his uncle's part.  :)  He states that's it's been around for a long time he didn't know how long, though.  Thanks for setting me straight.  Roger
Roger

beenthere

I keep hearing that the Punch Bros. are up near the top in Bluegrass. But when I listen to them, I don't understand why, or why they even are classed as a Bluegrass band. The leader is Chris Thile on mandolin.
Anyone hear of them?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wellmud

Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

hardtailjohn

They sound great! I've played bluegrass for over 40 years... all I can say is, get that boy an upright bass! :D All of them are very good instrumentalists!  Thanks for sharing!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

WDH

John Hardy was a desperate little man,
He carried two guns ev'ry day.
He shot down a man on that West Virginia line,
You oughta seen John Hardy gettin' away....
You oughta seen John Hardy gettin' away....

John Hardy stood in that old baroom,
So drunk that he could not see.
And a man walked up and took him by the arm,
He said, "Johnny, come and go along with me,
Poor boy, Johnny, come and walk along with me."

John Hardy stood in his old jail cell,
The tears running down from his eyes.
He said, "I've been the death of many a poor boy.
But my six-shooters never told a lie,
No, my six-shooters never told a lie

I have probably played that song 1000 times.  It is one of my favorites. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

That's a great tune, and the boys did a great job with it. I envy anyone who can play a mandolin like that...my fingers seem too fat to make anything sound right on them. I'll just stick with my geetar.  :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!