Sponsors:

DIY base, do i buy?

Started by Satamax, August 13, 2011, 04:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi guys.

Well, i have this saw under my eye.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/materiel_professionnel/205690433.htm?ca=21_s

I've spoken to the guy. He's ok to sell me the head, without his rise and lower chariot, which is a bit weird for me. Without his deutz motor cardans etc. All the pish i don't need. I would go static, with an electric 400V three phase motor that i already have. For 498 dols (350 euros) i would get the frame, with the bearings, puleys, tensioning system. Which i would certainly get out and replace by an hydraulic. For a start, i have a 7.5kw motor. I also have the proper puley to drive the one he has on the arbor of the driving wheel. I would have to find rails, and make a chariot which would lift and lower this.

Am i on the right track?

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

beenthere

Sounds like you have a plan.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Satamax

Might have. He's ok to exchange for my delta sliding mitre saw. and a few bits and bobs, or The delta and 100 euros. He's about 110/120 miles from me. I have the truck ready. :D I even have a roll of 50m 2in blade :D That i can get welded quick :D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

Looks like i've got wheels!

http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/224110876.htm?ca=21_s

Just ten miles from me!

Now onto finding the lift for the head. And contacting the guy from the railway company. :D

Satamax

Hi everybody.

So i've found a car lift with twin motors. I'll have to put the chain on top instead of on the bottom for synchronization

Mine chariot wheels.

What do you reckon? Do i power the four or just two, one each side. The whole thing gonna be rather heavy. So lotsa friction. I still have to find the pillow blocks, sprockets, chain, motor for the power feed.

And one wheel of the already assembled saw head.

41x3' wheels. Should be good enough nah?

The full saw head.

So guys, what's your opinion? Do i buy all this?  I have a 2920rpm 7.5kw electric motor. Enough puleys and stuff to make it or thereabouts.

Thanks.

Max.

Satamax

Banjo picker

It would be a good deal for some ,,not for others.. I don't think I would ever get around to finishing it...I started a winch a pretty good while ago, and still need a few things done...I have the parts just don't have the time to put them together...Maybe with cooler weather...yes thats what I need... ;)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

shelbycharger400

QuoteWhat do you reckon? Do i power the four or just two, one each side. The whole thing gonna be rather heavy. So lotsa friction. I still have to find the pillow blocks, sprockets, chain, motor for the power feed.

go with a crown rail system, look at a rail road i beam. very little contact on the arch.

Satamax

Quote from: Banjo picker on August 20, 2011, 09:03:31 AM
It would be a good deal for some ,,not for others.. I don't think I would ever get around to finishing it...I started a winch a pretty good while ago, and still need a few things done...I have the parts just don't have the time to put them together...Maybe with cooler weather...yes thats what I need... ;)  Tim
Hi Banjo picker. Well, i'm bit like that sometimes. I lazy  bastid! :D But i like to make things. I have to fit an hydraulic pto to my 3.5 tonner truck. A pTO winch to my toyota. 4 telycasters builds to finish. But i think the saw will come first. I badly want it :D
Quote from: shelbycharger400 on August 20, 2011, 10:15:00 AM

QuoteWhat do you reckon? Do i power the four or just two, one each side. The whole thing gonna be rather heavy. So lotsa friction. I still have to find the pillow blocks, sprockets, chain, motor for the power feed.

go with a crown rail system, look at a rail road i beam. very little contact on the arch.

Rail road I beam? You mean propre train rails? That's what i plan using. I have a friend who works for the french rail. He reckons i can get some cheap ones :D Bad thing is the guy who is selling the car lift i'm intrested in doesn't want too sell at the price i'm ready to pay. Blady stingey.

So i have to ramble and roam on secondhand websites to find one i like.

shelbycharger400

yep, rail line is nice stuff.  dont worry about it if it has small pits ect in the rail, not shure on the alloy but some you cannot weld, you have to bolt it together.

Satamax

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on August 21, 2011, 01:01:27 PM
yep, rail line is nice stuff.  dont worry about it if it has small pits ect in the rail, not shure on the alloy but some you cannot weld, you have to bolt it together.

Thanks a lot Shelby. Well, i'm not woried the least about welding. :D It's going to be on slippers, and i think he can find me some 12 meters ~40' May be more. I just wonder where do i stop lenghtwise.  Make it 80', more? I know most of what i gonna cut will be under 40, for sure. Most likely 15' 20'

I might need to weld it if ever i make a trailer for some more rail.

Thanks again.

Max.

shelbycharger400

well, look at it this way, what is your source material?   i set my portable im building for clamping 16in up to 8 ft.   the bellsaw circle mill will do the 12 and 14ft ones.   Im limited with what  i can pick up, and with the case tractor with the loader (not on yet)

also, have you ever pulled a 40 ft trailer?   longest i have was a 16ft bed  tandem  (add 4 ft for the toung )behind a full size dodge with a 8ft bed, its a trip backin up in tight places.   my circle mill will be a 40 ft trailer.  You need a lot of room to turn around, or back up.

Satamax

Hi Shelby.

Well, i don't think going 40 on a trailer would be way clever for me. May be in two pieces. Something like  telescopic trailer :D But mainly it's for using as a stationary machine. Thought i'll try to keep the head kind of standalone. And may be in the future make a 25/30 trailer. Well, i'll get the saw when i can.  It's cheap enough. I'm going that way in september, at some point. I'll have to pick up some forged steel balusters when the stock arives in Grenoble, a big city about 60 miles from me. And the saw is a bit further down that way.

shelbycharger400

i just remembered an option,  one buddy told me
take a look at farm equipment,  and make it so its hydraulics fold it up , then down. , then you can pocket it, when down, its level, stored mode...its short, all folded up. 

Satamax

shelbycharger400

satamax......   :o  thats what im taking bout

well, i know how to make power drive wheels now for my portable...some day.

Satamax

A fixed later model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6tjDJ14GCY

Another one of the older model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwdYMzWFkQ

On this one you can realy see how the feed works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYlKM_9AcOo&NR=1

And another european machine which you might not be aware of. Mad, but plenty of good ideas. Specialy the hydraulic turning of the drive wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzc1xPwv7Q

shelbycharger400

i borrowed the wife's phone to take a few pictures.    all 4 wheels are adjustable,   i have to get 4 in bolts to utalize the slots i cut in the wheel holes... but that will be easy nough later.        maybe this will help you a bit in some ideas.

Satamax

Hi Shelby.

Thanks a lot.

Well, i realy want to do something rather industrial. A cross between the loglogic head, would be lovely with hydraulics all around. And the simplicity of the CD sawmill. Main prob, is that it takes a fair bunch of greens!

I'll be happy if i can stay under the 3K€ In the other discution i've started, i realised, thanks to Larry's link. That i would realy need mo powah!

Iv'e been eyeing this one for a while. http://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/165434741.htm?ca=21_s

But, it's been siting for a while, it needs a new cooling system, it's far away, something like 4 or 500 miles. Needs an exhaust. How do i mount it to the saw head chariot thingy. Or if i keep it away from the saw, how much would it cost me a pair of hydraulic tube some 20' long in this case!

Going electric with a generator might more sensible.  As well, working in a chairlift company in the winter, when they dismantle stuff, i get to salvage some things. May be i could do a big DC gen. But that means DC motor for the drive, but feed and raise of the head, i'm not sure. The gen i could make with a chairlift motor would do 400v. No good for small DC motors! Inverter then?  Or do hydraulics driving the pump with the main electric motor.

There's enough solutions to get mad!

shelbycharger400

later when i go full hydraulic,  im going to mount a motor to the frame,  and use overhead "track"   not shure what its called, looks almost like the tracks on a excavator, but its plastic, and holds the hydraulic lines.  i know Mazak uses them on all the big cnc machine centers.  last i was quoted around 200 or so for a used 40 ft chunk of the stuff. 

as far as coolant system... that ford diesel motor,  can use a small to medium car radiator/fan. Not shure what the infastructure has their for where the "dead" cars go after they are wrecked.

i say go manual for now, then upgrade things later.
my mill in picture,  will saw a 9 ft log.   if i went full hydro on this one... i could easy be over 3 grand on this one.
im not done,  this one is built on a budget, using metal i had, friends had,  bartering ect,   the hardware, nuts bolts ect,  i have over $40 easy now

between the gears, used motor, clutch, saw bar, chain..other odds and ends... around a grand or so into it now.   plus side is i had a few things machined for barter work...so that saved me some.    best part bout more people involved,... they keep tellin me where more free logs are, and future trees that will be comming down soon.

Thank You Sponsors!