iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY portal frames? On a swingmill or any mill.

Started by Satamax, June 03, 2012, 01:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Just wondering, i was watching a vid by bestbier. And i always find, that either lucas, peterson, or bestbier look flimsy.

I i was to make a portal, like the ones you see on DIY swingers or even bandmills. To raise and lower the saw above the tracks. Ho tough and precise does this have to be.

I have welding equipement. A milling machine (rong fu mill drill) But no lathe. How could i get by? I mean, buying arbors for the sprockets costs an awfull lot usualy. Sprockets, i can have not too expensive, chains too. Pillow blocks are expensive over here. But i can manage. What do i use as guiding? I have a fair bit of pet i have left from my father. Square tube and PET guiding blocks? How is the lateral travel done Grooved bearings?

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

shelbycharger400

not shure what your setting up, but stop and look at my pictures.
im using 1 1/2 square tube inside 2 inch tube.  it works OK.  with the weight of the motor and the battery it pritty much stays put. I do have a lot of side to side shake.  but the boards come out rather smooth for the most part (better than a band cut)  Im using go cart chain and sprockets , with hubs machined out of aluminum,  the threaded rod is 3/4 reg.  i put nuts and lock washers on both sides of the hubs.  seems when i slab anything. the vibration causes it to "climb" in the cut , and i notice the wrench on the top move.  Im puttin in a metal tab and a pin so that dosnt happen.  O.. and the 12.5 hp Blew up...lol  i have a lot better running 17 hp motor im puttin on it right now.    12.5 hp is NOT enough !

Satamax

Thanks a lot Shelby. Well, i've quickly checked this morn.  I want to make a swingmill at some point, and i'm in the thinking stage. The bandmill parts i have will be looked at, later i think. May be next year.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

tjhammer

satamax what you will have to remember when making your saw head or the trolleys everything has to be square and level with close dimensions the sloppier the fit the sloppier wood you will saw,as for your trolley use v grove wheels,I would stay away fron pillow block bearing atleast use flange bearing.good luck
  tj
hammer

sigidi

Max, I can't say much based on 'hands-on' experience with a Peterson, but my two Lucas Mills may seem flimsy to some, but over the decade I've been cutting, have been very robust but also very portable - a very nice balance. I think making things more 'robust' would reduce the portability.

But having said this good luck with it and post up some piccys of how ya goin
Always willing to help - Allan

Satamax

Hi Sidgidi!

Thanks for the reply. Well, as for now, i haven't done anything yet, exept buying this

Which i seem to be overhelmed by.

I mean, i need to buy a two post car lift to make the up and down movement, raise the chain of the car lift, fit a sofim direct injection diesel on the saw, make the chariot onto which the car lift will be welded. Make the forward and backward movement. Etc! Few roofing jobs on the way, so i haven't got mucho time to do anything. I thought a swingmill could be a simple fast few weekend project. And i don't have to have my crane nearby to lift the parts! 

Thank You Sponsors!