iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diy mill i just my welding students completed

Started by dwchaisson, June 13, 2014, 08:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwchaisson

built this mill as a class project, all materials were salvaged from old machinery, its not your average "run of the mill" (pardon the pun) band sawmill the head travels up and down parallel to carriage which is pushed by hand with log attached under saw head, not necessarily the most efficient mill out there but we used what we had available, just thought i would post some pics for some others like myself that are trying to build something and looking for some ideas of what might work. mill works great and lumber is straight. very pleased with the work my students done on this mill. thanks for looking 

homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I may not understand exactly how everything works, but it looks like a good project with fine craftsmanship.  I am sure that it was a good learning experience for the students.  Thanks for sharing the joy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Nice project. That is one way to introduce young students to how things are made, operated and turn a log into a useful product. You never know what one of these student will become someday because of this build. bg

drobertson

Outstanding project, and to see it to the finish with a product is just great!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

js2743

Nice build, looks like the sawhead is stationary powered from the pto of a tractor and the log travels back and forth through the saw. Some very good ideas you have to make a saw from what you had laying around.

Chuck White

Looks to be very well built!

That was a great class project!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DeerMeadowFarm

Nice project! My nephew teaches at a vocational school as a power equipment teacher. I've been trying to get him to start a cross functional effort between the classes to produce splitters, bandsaw mills, etc. The drafting department could make the drawings, machine shop and weld shop could do the fabrication, his group could supply the engine and hydraulic functions, autobody shop could paint them, and the graphic arts department could label them up. The school could sell them and raise money for senior class trips, etc.

21incher

Nice project. Is the mill powered by the tractor pto?  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ozarkgem

How about a video of it working? looks good. I am intrigued by the skidder in your sig pic. How about some more pics of it and what it is. Thanks 
Jim
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

I remember that skidder. Click on to his user name and check out his past post about it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

Quote from: thecfarm on June 13, 2014, 06:57:34 PM
I remember that skidder. Click on to his user name and check out his past post about it.
It only showed the one post. Must be doing something wrong.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

He only has 15 posts. That is why I said past post. He only made one post on it. Maybe this will get him to do more. Please!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

boxygen

Awesome stuff. Keep those photos of the builds coming. Especially that skidder!  :o
Hudson Oscar 121. Mahindra 2415, fransgard winch. Husky chainsaws from 346xp to 394xp, most are ported.

VictorH

Very Nice build.  Great idea and project for the students!!

yukon cornelius

what a great project!! well built and a great concept! way to go!!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

r.man

That is neat and shows innovative thinking. What happens to the saw now that the class is over.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ianab

QuoteWhat happens to the saw now that the class is over.

They've passed welding, Wood shop starts next term?  ;) :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ozarkgem

Quote from: thecfarm on June 13, 2014, 09:09:24 PM
He only has 15 posts. That is why I said past post. He only made one post on it. Maybe this will get him to do more. Please!!!
I don't see the option for past post.

ladylake

Nice mill. good job.. A couple of things, you need to put a good chip deflector in front of the guide on the exit side to keep debris from getting between the wheels and blade, that will give you better blade life.. Are those acme screws driving the head up and down, if so they will last WAY longer if you use bronze nuts. After I put the way heavier diesel on my TK B20 I had trouble with the acme screws wearing out but after replacing the really hard TK nuts with bronze onesI have around 2500 hours on the acme screws and nuts and the screws still look like new, I cant see the nuts, but if they do wear out there only $50 each from a couple of different online suppliers.   I do have a couple of spares on hand just in case.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

justallan1

Great job. Your students are very lucky to have a teacher that made this happen. Very cool.

Allan

thecfarm

ozarkgem,let's see if this will do it.
Click on to his user name,that will bring you to his Profile Page.On the upper left of the Profile Page you will see,
Profile Info
Summary
Show Stats
Show Posts
Click onto Show Posts and that should bring up his posts. Click on to any of the threads to open them up to see what others had to post.

scor440

Ocklawahaboy

Seeing as the community college I work at just got rid of our last three vocational programs (auto body, auto shop and horticulture) it does me good to see someone out there still teaching kids how to actually produce something.

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on June 13, 2014, 04:54:29 PM
See pic #2 ?

Saw that pic and on my laptop it looked to small to be a pto and I thought it may have been a trough for hydraulic lines with a hydraulic motor. They say the eyes are the first thing to go :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

leroy in kansas

This is really great. Using what's available to reach the end product. (seems like I've done a great deal of that) Fortunate kids to have the opportunity to be creative in this way. Good job. 

ozarkgem

Quote from: thecfarm on June 14, 2014, 07:55:24 AM
ozarkgem,let's see if this will do it.
Click on to his user name,that will bring you to his Profile Page.On the upper left of the Profile Page you will see,
Profile Info
Summary
Show Stats
Show Posts
Click onto Show Posts and that should bring up his posts. Click on to any of the threads to open them up to see what others had to post.
Well I must be dumb or something. I did that and the only thing that shows is the mill post. Not that important. Thanks for the help though.

dwchaisson

Yes mill is powered by pro. Pro drives a right angle gear box then a v belt to the drive wheel
homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

dwchaisson

I don't currently have a video but will get one eventually. Thanks for the tip about the brass nuts will definitely look into that. As well. As the chip deflector I think that's a great idea. The skidded was also a previous class project it is built with two Massey 22 rear axles facing each other and driven by a 3.9 dodge ram motor and tranny, the log loader was also a class project

dwchaisson

Also wheels are Teflon build for I don't know what just had them laying around they are 3 in thick and 27in diameter.

Thank You Sponsors!