iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY log dogs, show me yours!

Started by Satamax, August 23, 2015, 05:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, i've done a google image search on the forestry forum, for log dogs/clamps. There's plenty of results. But it's all scatered around. Wouldn't it be nice, for wooden tops like me, to be able to come here, and have a thread with all the options availlable in?

So guys, flash your log dogs. Nope, not talking sausage and bread  ;D

Few big pictures, with a description, about what they're made of, how. And why they are good, superior or bad. Ideas on what you would do different if you had to make some more. Every type is welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Kbeitz

Well I'm still not happy with mine. It's just to slow. But it works just fine.
I started out with 1-1/2 rack with 1-1/2" round welded on the tale end.
This killed two birds with one stone. The round part is the dog stop that swings up or down to meet the log.
The rack part is adjustable to the size of the log. I tried the cam-lock type and I did not care for that what so ever. so now I'm using thump screw type until I find a better way.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I changed the round pipe to square .
The whole thing would twist sideways with the pipe. The square tubing keeps it from twisting.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

york

Albert

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys. 

Kbeitz, i like the round part, with the flat which can go up or down.

York, your system is posh!  ;D I realy like the guided ram for the dog itself.

Guys, keep them comming.

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

kelLOGg

This idea came from FF member RobNRob2.  I put 4 of them on the mill.
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Satamax

Well Bob, i should admit i can't see much!

hackberry jake

Hydraulic Turner/Clamp. No more bending over.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

justallan1

The system I made is mainly set up for small pieces, 11" and longer. I saw more burls than anything else and so have this set to where it doesn't interfere with the factory clamps on my tracks. For small pieces I feel you have way more stability with having the 3 points of contact to you log or burl independent of each other. The way I built the clamp does use less than half the room as the stock clamps. It works great for what I'm doing anyhow. The reason behind 2 spots for the stops to go is for funny shaped pieces so they aren't in the way of the carriage traveling down the tracks.

hackberry jake

That looks like a pretty good set-up for cutting cookies as well.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

justallan1

It should cut cookise fine. I get trees that are basically burls from the bottom up and cut the caps off first, so with only the 2 stops and the clamp I can hold a round of wood or burl that nearly max out the mill. The nice thing is that I can clamp a burl at absolutely any direction that I want to get the very best cut without losing a thing.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Satamax on August 24, 2015, 07:55:24 AM
Well Bob, i should admit i can't see much!
Hope this is better. First one shows clamp biting the top of the cant.

This shows biting the bottom 1/4" of the cant.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys.

That starts to give me ideas. Keep em comming ;D

Satamax

Hi everybody!

Well, I think I've found a good solution for the serious diy'ers.

Lengthwise hydraulic curb clamps. In Europe we have some simpler ones than the one below. Two square tubes of different sizes, sliding in each other, and an hydraulic ram to actuate the movement.

This, or hydraulic fork holders for telebooms and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!