iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone ever saw ash wagon/mower tongues ?

Started by RayMO, January 31, 2014, 02:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

beenthere

Yes, have seen them. Been awhile tho.
You looking for one?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pineywoods

Had a neighbor ask me to saw him one. I figured out how to do it, told him to bring me a log, he never showed.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

For a cannon carriage.  Getting the taper right was the easy part.  Making the wood behave was the hard part.  Two was more than enough as I wasted a couple of logs.

The only way I would make one again is if I could use dry wood and laminate.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Happycamper

When I lived in Ontario I made and used several Ash Pitman Arms for a sickle mower I had on a tractor. They worked out fine but White Oak is another good choice. I am using White Oak in BC as it seems easier to procure as we have no hard wood in the West.
                                            JIm

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

arkansas

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on January 31, 2014, 05:22:48 PM
Made mine from oak  Lost my ash

Now that is the way my things go, too bad, hoped I was the only one.
Working on a hot LT40HD for now

Chuck White

I've sawn out a few for "pony carts".

Not difficult at all.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

NMFP

White oak is the best as a lot of them end up sitting around in the weather.  The trick is getting the piece of wood that does not have pith and is heavy clear.

Made a few a couple years ago and a few others to keep here at the farm for people that need them as they come up broken.  Seem to sell 1-2 of them each year. 

Tried doing pitman arms but there is a guy close that makes them and sells them for $5 each.  No way can I do them for that price.

Billbob

Years ago I made some ash pittman arms for a fellow's sickle side mower that he used with a team of draft horses.  Ash and oak are hard to come by around here.  The old timer's would use yellow birch for wagon drawbars, wheel spokes, etc.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

hardtailjohn

I wish I had ash to saw!!  I use Doug Fir for my mower and wagon tongues here. Worked fine for years, but it's certainly not as tough as ash.  I keep asking Santa for a truck load of ash, but he never seems to hear me!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

ladylake

I've sawed a bunch of them  , 4" one end and 2-1/2" on the other and most end up with a bow one way or another.  Put the bow up and it should straighten out a bit.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ND rancher

John,somebody whispered in my ear about wanting to trade wood? Did I hear him right ;)?
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

wwsjr

I have sawed several white oak wagon tongues. Used the tow boards on mill to get taper. Have not seen them since sawing, do not know about bowing. I sawed them from logs big enough to stay out of the center.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

RayMO

Thanks for the input . I was just curious as I have a couple of nice clear ash logs and the Amish mentioned sawing wagon tongues out of ash .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

loggah

We saw them out of hornbeam up here, i got some decent hornbeam in my sugar orchard ,and there easy to saw on the belsaw.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Don_Papenburg

I would think that if you are sawing out the tongues you would want to saw as close to the grain direction as possible .  Or saw large and rive it down .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

hardtailjohn

Quote from: ND rancher on February 01, 2014, 08:17:05 AM
John,somebody whispered in my ear about wanting to trade wood? Did I hear him right ;)?

We might just have something there! I've got Doug Fir and Larch, and Lodgepole.......
John

marcusthgault

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on February 01, 2014, 07:09:05 PM
I would think that if you are sawing out the tongues you would want to saw as close to the grain direction as possible .  Or saw large and rive it down .
Would be my understanding also, or preferably split the trunk and pick the straightest/ most suitable sections, then rive/drawknife down.
marcus
Theres nathing as wouldnay werk better fer been teighn asundry furst.

thurlow

I came along at the tail-end of the mule-drawn era; not sure about tongues, but the wood of choice around here for wagon beds was black gum.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

hardtailjohn

If you saw mower tongues, make sure you make them about 4 1/8" square for about the first 2-3'.  They need to fit tight in the saddle to work right and if you make them a "nominal" 4" (3 7/8") they're sloppy and aren't worth the work!
John

Thank You Sponsors!