iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White deer in Wisconsin

Started by CHARLIE, May 13, 2009, 11:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

I knew there was the occasional white deer in Minnesota and Wisconsin but had no idea there were so many in one area of Wisconsin.  White deer are protected in Wisconsin.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=inwi10s22a3q81f
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

wi woodcutter

There has been some white deer by Lake Mills for a few years now.

I have seen them a few times, have not gotten any pics of them yet.

Last year they changed the deer hunting rules, you can even shoot the white ones now.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Ironmower

Are they albino (red eyes)? The sayin' around here is; If you kill an albino, you'll never kill another deer. Which isn't true,(not for me anyways) the albino deer are a poor blood line and should be killed on sight.
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Jeff

Albinos don't have to have red eyes, in fact they only occasionally have red eyes. There are several forms of albinism.

Saying albinos should be killed on sight is kinda like saying you should dispose of anyone with male pattern baldness on sight, or someone that has tons and tons of freckles. Its the same type of genetic anomalies at work that create those conditions that may cause a mammal to have albinism. In albinos, its simply the occurrence of a gene that prevents a body from making normal amounts of melanin, the pigment that adds color to tissue. Its can be hereditary but certainly not contagious and its not going to take over the species by allowing it to exist naturally.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

A true albino will have pink eyes and white hooves with no fur of any color other than white.  Any other "white" deer is a piebald.  A white buck was shot west of Indian River a few years ago but was a piebald not an albino as it had a patch of brown fur between it's antlers, brown hooves, and dark eyes.  It passed on its genetics as there are still white deer roaming that area.  The death of that deer caused quite a stir as many in the area viewed it as a pet of sorts, had fed it, and passed up killing it themselves.  The deer's killer was publicly chastized to extremes for killing the deer to the point he threatened a lawsuit to silence his critics.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Norm

We had a guy that shot a white button buck here in Iowa a few years ago. Unfortunately he got himself in the paper with it. It caused a big stir amongst the bambi crowd and the next year they passed a law that it was illegal to shot one.

My guess is that it still tasted like venison.

Jeff

Quote from: Corley5 on May 17, 2009, 02:23:50 PM
A true albino will have pink eyes and white hooves with no fur of any color other than white.  Any other "white" deer is a piebald. 

Greg If you would, check that out with your Biologist at work. I think "True albino" and "Piebald" are terms to distinguish the levels of albinism. In between is another level of  albinism all white with residual eye pigment.   I think all are layman's term to denote the differences in albinos lacking total pigment, from albinos with some melanin production, but the white deer are still Albinos.  Piebalds are different then white deer with blue eyes but still technically albinos because they carry the gene however they have patches that are not effected by the gene.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

That does come from the DNR wildlife biologist.  He was there when the guy brought that deer in to the check station.  At the time it was illegal in the state to kill an all white deer, maybe it still is  ???, the discussion was whether to call the law on this guy.  Since it wasn't a true albino in his words because of the pigment in the eyes, hooves and patch of hair and therefore wasn't all white no laws were being broken. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ironmower

Quote from: Jeff on May 17, 2009, 09:27:21 AM
Albinos don't have to have red eyes, in fact they only occasionally have red eyes. There are several forms of albinism.

Saying albinos should be killed on sight is kinda like saying you should dispose of anyone with male pattern baldness on sight, or someone that has tons and tons of freckles. Its the same type of genetic anomalies at work that create those conditions that may cause a mammal to have albinism. In albinos, its simply the occurrence of a gene that prevents a body from making normal amounts of melanin, the pigment that adds color to tissue. Its can be hereditary but certainly not contagious and its not going to take over the species by allowing it to exist naturally. OK, I'll go with that, BUT allowing  it to exist lets them breed. I'll still shoot everone I see. You don't think they are a weak bloodline? I've never seen a "big" healthy albino or what ever you called them around here.  Yes its kinda like sayin' that, BUT they ARE game, not people. Each to his own................

WM lt35 hd 950 JD

baronthered

I don't know about the albino deer but here the game wardens are actively trying to get folks to cull some of the white wild turkey that are around. according to them they are like that because of too much onbreeding within a flock. I don't know what exactly is really going on but it means I get to harvest another turkey.
Life's short make fun of it!

beenthere

We have non-white deer in WI too.
This one crossed in the yard at noon today, and sports a nice rack in velvet. I thought about trying to paint on a bullseye early, but don't want to make it easy for any neighbors.  ;D
Hope he sticks around.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CHARLIE

Beenthere, that is an Albino deer that has tried to camoflage himself. If you look carefuly, he forgot to paint his tummy.  ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!