iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440b winch problem

Started by ohiowoodchuck, February 11, 2017, 10:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I posted about this awhile back and I thought it was because of the stripped splined driveshaft but it's not. My problem is when I put the winch in free spool it's hard to pull off. Sometimes it will fall by itself with the weight of the chokers but it still seems hard to pull out. Other times I have to hook it to a stump and drive away to get the cable length I need. It was working just fine before I changed the cable. Here is what I done when I changed the cable. I noticed there was water in the oil so I drained it and filled it with oil till it ran out the plug on the right hand side. I also used a new lubefiner filter on it. The gasket was missing on the fill bung, so I used thread tape. I used travelers brand premium trans hydraulic oil when I filled it. I checked the cable and it is shifting the valve enough and the winch doesn't slip even if I winch in a big hitch. I even ran the motor at full throttle to see if the pump was weak and that didn't make a difference. I put on 125 ft of un swedged 5/8 cable when I did the oil change. Sorry for the long post just trying to describe the problem as best I could.
Education is the best defense against the media.

thumper

did you get a good look at your brake band? the 4 lil straps welded on the outside? if any of them are broken off and missing it can cause something like that.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

ohiowoodchuck

Do I need to pull the side cover to check the straps?

thumper

yes take the bolts from around the cover off and pop the cover rt off.  mine just did this. all the straps were broke off the band. slso look at the brake cyl for leaks and check the 2 big brake springs. they have been known to break on one side.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41wy40QSvxL.jpg
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

thumper

pop that side case off and run the winch in freespool,  you can watch everything to see whats going on. its a 440b right

ohiowoodchuck

Are you calling the straps where it looks like the bolts would go thru on the band just to clarify.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: thumper on February 11, 2017, 11:55:31 PM
pop that side case off and run the winch in freespool,  you can watch everything to see whats going on. its a 440b right
Yep it's a 440b. I'll pop the cover off the next free moment I get.

thumper

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on February 11, 2017, 11:56:20 PM
Are you calling the straps where it looks like the bolts would go thru on the band just to clarify.
nope,  the band is made of 3 rings of steel and fibre. every so many inches there is a 3/16 strap of steel (4 of them) on the outside of the band welded on the outside ring bands only. allowing the band to open in a even circular action. look on the pic.

ohiowoodchuck

Ok I understand exactly what you mean. I'll take the cover off and check everything out and I'll report back my findings.

BargeMonkey

3315 or 3325 ? I know they are close but I don't want to give bad info. I've done 6-7 ? Bands in my 3325 and been thru the winch 2x in the last 12yrs. I've seen broken springs but never seen a band distort. 80% of these "relined" bands are junk, I got one from Harold's in ME 2yrs ago and it's been bulletproof, I have had trouble with others. New band from Nortrax is 1080 bucks.
Just asking, but did you make sure the 125' of cable isn't bunched to one side on the drum and dragging on the winch pulling out ?
For what it's worth here is the band setting info directly from the deere shop manual on a 3325. 

I pop the cover on mine 3-4x a yr, keep a small shop towl in the left corner folded up so it grabs any oil that may leak and I know if I have a leak right off. We keep a set of springs, valve kit and spare band on the shelf anymore. If it wasn't holding and hard to pull out I would wonder, I think somethings shifted inside, probably a broken spring and your band is running crooked.
Be very careful who you let work on your winch, Nortrax basically bought me a new winch 6yrs ago, I sent it out to be gone thru, they let the new service tech rebuild it, he never tightened the 6 bolts on the dry side behind the clutch and it wasn't good, they have to be re-assembled laying on their side or you will wipe the wire seals out.

ohiowoodchuck

I'm not sure of the model on the winch. I'll have to scrape the paint off the tag to check it. The winch is holding fine its just the free spool that sucks. I weigh 260 lbs and I can't pull it out, even when it releases it still takes more than 22 pounds to pull it out. To answer the other question I make sure the cable is never touching the side and I always try to wind it in evenly. I hope I don't have to pay a grand for a new band. Yikes

snowstorm

thats a lot of cable. i never ran more than 75'. you can take the left big cover off and freespool engine running only. big cover the whole side of it. winch in an oil is gonna fly

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

killamplanes

Maybe not big help here. But on mine I idle the engine up to free spool. It's been like that for yrs. Many bands and one complete clutch job etc. Maybe pump a little weak. But try idling it up to free spool. Maybe just mine.. winch can be a real pain and money pit. :'(
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

ohiowoodchuck

I have put the hand throttle at wide open and tried to free spool. It made no difference. I think my hydraulic pressure is fine.

timberhog

My 3325 did that until I found a loose fitting on the pump . After I tightened it up it worked fine.

ohiowoodchuck

Mine is a 3305 model winch. I didn't have time to pop the cover off today. The wife made me get back to work on the house, so I'll tear into it one night this week. I'll have to check for a hose leak also. I've noticed hydraulic oil on the underside of the plate and laying where you can store stuff between the arch.

ohiowoodchuck

Thanks for the help on this one. I took the cover off and the first thing I noticed was when the control lever was put into free spool the band opened as it should and then it closed back, like it was losing pressure. I pulled the cable off and turned the valve with my hand and it worked like it should. The cable is going past stroke of the valve  and letting the fluid bleed off the cylinder thus closing the brake. I ran out of day light so I'll adjust the cable this weekend. 

Thank You Sponsors!