iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost low and reverse on 440b Transmission.

Started by ohiowoodchuck, November 21, 2018, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

take the filter off an look it over. there is also a screen

ohiowoodchuck

Where do you get to the screen at from the inside. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

Grandpa

The pickup screen is behind a triangle shaped cover on the right rear of the transmission at the very bottom. The charge pump is on the back of the top shaft that you are working on, if you have been running it a lot with the clutch down trying to solve your problem it may have lost its prime. Letting the engine idle for a minute or two with the clutch out may solve it. Going on memory here but I think that pump also lubricates the transmission and if all is well you should see oil pumping out around the syncros when the engine is idling.

kiko

To bad about the parts supplier, but they are not the only ones that can find those parts.  The syncro shift was widely used. Some parts may be interchangable from 3020 and 4020 tractors.  I SEEM to recall that the case has to be split to remove those rods.  The way I  have dealt with similar transmission removals is to use a chain come along attached to a chain wrapped around the cab , then  components can be moved to the edge and then to ground or Atv trailer  with a woods made jib anchored to the cab.

ohiowoodchuck

My goal is to slide it as far back as I can and support it. Hopefully it will give enough room to slide the fork rods far enough forward to get the upper shaft out and I'll do all the repair in the woods. I have no other choice. I'm going to order all the parts tomorrow to rebuild the syncronizer set up after reading the book several times them clutch packs are what makes it go. With the discoloration on the high side it tells me its metal to metal. It did try to move when I held it in high for a second or two. It's the only thing I can come up with. I'm with you guys now on the charge pump. Maybe it did lose its prime since that shaft is not turning and has not been turning for quite a while. 

tacks Y

Sorry to hear of all your trouble. I may have that part that broke, can look. Computer trouble here so I have not been checking in here. I think you need to tow out of woods, there is not much room  to work in there. I may have some gears but tranny I have is a part. This is a pain on a I pad, sorry. You can email me at tacks5@verizon.net 

Grandpa

Kiko makes a good point. Most of the powertrain in a 440b is the same as (I think) a 3020. 

ohiowoodchuck

4010 and 4020 also. I went over and looked at my buddies 4010 tractor and service manual. Same setup part numbers etc. You guys are great. 

tacks Y

Sorry not good with parts. I do have the broken part in your picture, still in tranny. The top shaft and gears are all gone. I forgot what sold over the last year, and what would work went in the 440c. I would drag from woods and pull engine if I was working on it. That top shaft comes out the front. The other gears are in it and look good.

Thank You Sponsors!