iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl chainsaw Identification or Model numbers worn off

Started by Student again, December 31, 2005, 10:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Student again

Hello, newbie here.
I found this forum while doing research for a class a couple months ago and have been lurking since.

Anyways, I found a couple of used saws for sale. One is an 044. Its worn but looks to be in decent shape. Not sure of its history but doesn't look abused. The other is also a Stihl but I'm not sure what it is, all the writing on the stickers is worn off. It has more scratches and wear. The saw looks slightly bigger than the 044 and currently has about a 48" bar. The person helping me didn't know anything about saws and would like to get rid of them. How can I identify what it is and possibly the year? I haven't had time to run either one but if I remember right the larger has a chain brake. Not sure about the 044. Also what should I look for in each.
Thanks, Greg

chet

If you have a Stihl dealer close by the easiest thing would be to have them identify it for you. Another way would be to check here as there are photos of many of the older models.  LINK

OH....and welcome to The Forestry Forum.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Rocky_J

fishhuntcutwood

Look for a part number stamped somewhere.  Look on the case, or in side the filter cover.  The first four numbers can tell us what it is.

Welcome to FF.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

fishhuntcutwood

Also, if you like, you can PM me your email address, and I can email you pics of a 440, a 460 and a 660 for you to compare with.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

Student again

Thanks everyone
I didn't see it in the link Chet provided but I might not remember what it looked like correctly.  I'll probably go down there tomorrow look both over and make him an offer to see what happens. I don't need a saw right now but would like to get one before summer. I can wait if needed.
fishhuntcutwood thanks for the offer to send pics.

Ga_Boy

Hello and Welcome Student Again...

hang around, I suspect you'll like it here.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!