iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl chainsaw 390

Started by Red Good, January 10, 2014, 04:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H 2 H

Quote from: 7sleeper on January 14, 2014, 12:00:48 PM
Quote from: H 2 H on January 14, 2014, 11:53:21 AM
If im not mistaking MS 290 is the biggest selling chain saw in the USA along with MS 250  :)  give me a beer  :)
But we all know that all those saws are only for braging rights, not for cutting wood....  ;)

8)
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Andyshine77

Quote from: 7sleeper on January 14, 2014, 11:59:27 AM
Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 13, 2014, 05:19:33 PM

No problem, not many people know just how good the older Poulan's really are. The 330 was about the last real Pro saw Poulan made. The 330 had a mag case, high quality Gilardoni top end, nice air filter and it will turn 13,500 rpm. For 200 bucks nothing on the market could touch it.

The 3400/4000 series saws .....
Now the 4200 to 5400 series are harder to come by, and go for a lot more cash as well, and for good reason. They have good chain speed and never ending torque. Here is my restored 5200.

BTW. Sorry to get so off topic.         
Thanks for the feedback! That sure sounded like enthusiasm on this end.  ;D But one thing I noticed from the pictures is that they don't have a chain break, is that correct?.
Again thanks for the info!

Most saws from that time did not have chain breaks. However the later 3400 series had chain breaks, and the Canadian models always had them. The 4200 series for the most part never had any form of a chain break, with the exception of the very late versions, and I personally have never seen one.

Both models do have nice AV systems.

I personally really like chain breaks, but you simply can't rely on them or any other PPE to save your backside.
Andre.

msjdgman

Quote from: 7sleeper on January 11, 2014, 04:45:52 PM
Quote from: msjdgman on January 11, 2014, 03:45:01 PM
I have a 391 and truly do like the saw...same motor as the 390 I believe.  At just 64 cc it`s not the most powerful saw, but mine does what I ask of it.  As long as it runs, $300 should be about the top end considering it has no bar & clutch cover.  Why were those missing?  I know if I were still looking, I`d probably risk it.  Maybe try to get a few more bucks off it due to the missing parts.
391 and 390 are totally different saws! 391 has a strato engine the 390 a conventional two stroke. All else is not interchangeable besides the bar and chain. Besides that excellent question! Why are the parts missing? Is everything really sound? Are the bar screws tight or have they been reinserted after a rather heavy trauma to the saw? Is it an original Stihl 390 engine or a Baileys shortblock? Many unanswered questions here.

You are right and I stand corrected.  But both saws are 64 cc, share the same bore and stroke, and same rated power...I have several friends who have the 390, so that's why I chose the 391. They are viewed in my area as a very good farm/ranch saw and see duty well beyond just homeowner/firewood saws.
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

7sleeper

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 14, 2014, 04:00:53 PM
Most saws from that time did not have chain breaks. However the later 3400 series had chain breaks, and the Canadian models always had them. The 4200 series for the most part never had any form of a chain break, with the exception of the very late versions, and I personally have never seen one.

Both models do have nice AV systems.

I personally really like chain breaks, but you simply can't rely on them or any other PPE to save your backside.
Thanks again! Learning something new everyday is great!
Over here cutting on public land mandates having a chainbrake! Also many insurrences madate safety equipment. Of course if you have your own private property you can do what you like. That's when I unpack the contra... 8)

thecfarm

I really can't remember a chain break that has ever saved me from getting hurt. But it's on when I start the saw,walking with it,on top of the pulp pile,when I set it down on the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!