iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Morning fishing

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 04, 2021, 03:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I asked the wife and 9 y/o gd if they wanted to go fishing today. The weather report was good and I didn't have anything more important on my schedule so they agreed. I checked the fridge in the barn and my 2 month old night crawlers were no longer viable so I tried to catch some more last night. It has been real dry and there were very few out. I think I caught 7 and rejected one likely looking ring-necked snake not much bigger than the worms. I figured I'd have to break down and buy a box of worms. We were just going out with cane (Okay - fiberglass) poles for bluegills. I moved the 55 gallon drum I use for my garbage and hit the jackpot with several dozen 3-4 inch wigglers so we were set for bait. I hooked up the boat, threw some cold packs in the cooler and a couple of soda while the wife and Molly got their camera and such loaded up. We dropped the wife's truck at the shop for an alignment then McD's for their breakfast and it was about 8:30 by the time we were unloaded at the lake. We eased along the bank fishing likely looking brushpiles and under leafy overhanging grapevines and sycamore trees picking up a fish once in a while and throwing most back as too small.

The wind began to pick up and I decided to go down the lake to the dam and fish back up our way. I spotted a deer by the bank in water then it ran up the bank and we saw antlers then realized they were very big antlers. He was easily the biggest buck I have seen here in WV with wide beams and likely 10-12 points. He was in a stretch of woods only a couple hundred yards between State Road 20 and the lake that never gets hunted.

We went to the Boats prohibited markers just above the dam then started back. The wind meant basically you got one pass at a spot then it was out of reach. I guess we caught 40-50 fish and kept a dozen. The largest was probably not over half a lb but it is a good meal for me and the wife. Molly is not cultured enough to enjoy fish yet.

6 bluegills, 3 redbellies and 3 green sunfish. And a good time was had by all (except the fish I guess).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!