iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with a dig pattern.

Started by Jeff, June 04, 2023, 04:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike dee and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Jeff

I've got a leak. It may be an old unknown by me, shallower over flow. My overflow never got used.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Could it just be seepage through that end that looks like a dike? The seepage is wicked on my neighbors pond when the water hits a certain level. I had to drop the spillway level to keep it below that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

oldgraysawyer

Quote from: Jeff on March 27, 2024, 06:38:09 PMI've got a leak. It may be an old unknown by me, shallower over flow. My overflow never got used.
Jeff, a buddy of mine built a nice little pond and whenever the water level reached a certain place it slowly began seeping and always went down to about the same place and stayed there until almost full again. He eventually dug it out and let it dry out and if I remember right he put down about a foot or foot and half of good clay liner and has not had any issues since. He said he found a spot a little below the lower level of the water line there was a spot that appeared to be the issue. It was the weight of the full level that triggered the weakest spot to begin leaking.

So the hydrostatic pressure at full was compressing the area that would allow the leak. You may have a similar issue and may never find it unless you go down the same rabbit hole he did. But every time it would go down he was out trying to find the leak to no avail. 

Good Luck in your "rabbit huntin'"
DB in WV

doc henderson

being a new pond that has not had much water at that level, it may just need to seal itself off.  you could get some clay/bentonite and add it to the soil at the higher levels.  at least at that level, ir there is a low spot you should be able to see it.  I saw some ruts, but I assume those are from run in, not run out.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

I think it may be roots. I cut several aspens off that bank when I first started clearing that old pond out. I can see where it is flowing out but not exactly, of a mass of brush and clay  on the shallow end of the dike. 

doc henderson

I have been told that duck poop will seal off a pond.  but they also dig along the sides and tear it down and silt in the pond.  and the ones trained to poop where the leaks are, do not come cheap.   ffcheesy ffcheesy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Glacial water filtered and unfiltered.  ffwave  The Meziadin meets the Nass.

The water in the lake is icey blue as the silt settles out, that settled out lake water feeds the creek. Around here the water is either like black coffee or as clear as tap water. The dark stuff comes out of bogs, the clear stuff is spring fed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

The previous owners planted trees every 30 or so feet on the far side of my pond and I'm fairly positive that their roots are causing some of my leaks as well. I don't know that mine has ever really held water. They used to use creek water to fill it. I've got a pump to try that myself but haven't yet. The creek is full of mud, from running off the farm field across the street. My assumption is that my pond with fill with silt and dirt if I pump much in from there. If I got a big 250 gallon tote or whatever size they are I could fill it from farther down the creek, where it clears up but it'd take a lot of trips to empty the tote into the pond. Otherwise I'd need several hundred feet of hose and probably a much more robust pump.

Here's the latest picture of mine, yours looks way nicer Jeff.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

The pond filled back up yesterday, and my well guy got me a smoking deal on 500lbs of Sodium Bentonite. Looks like the conditions should be perfect to take care of my leak/seep

21incher

How you going to drain the pond to apply it ?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

I don't need to. I am going to use the sprinkle method. I need the water level above the line at which it leaks, but little incoming water, and little wind. Im hoping all of those conditions come together in the next couple days. The exiting water,  will take the bentonite with it, collecting other suspended particles and swelling over 15 time it size sealing off the leak Thats the theory.  Dave, one of the well guys, just helped his dad seal up some muskrat holes. He filled me in on his techniques.

aigheadish

From everything I've read the sprinkling method is supposed to work really well. Can I ask what a smoking deal is for that? My initial looks, years ago lead me to believe I'd need tons of it. 

I ought to consider that option as well, but I'd like to dig down several more feet before I did. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

I said smoking in comparison to everything I found on line.  The cheapest I found was 50 for 50lb  bag plus delivery.  I got this for $20 a 50lb bag, no shipping, in fact they backed up to my truck in my driveway, and delivered the 10 bags right to the back of my truck. 

Jeff

I got up here at the perfect time to learn what was going on, sorta.  The two leaks are obvious just above the old high waterline.I'm trying the clay. The pond was going back down when we got here, from the high we could see on the camera. I used 5 bags, the water level is now going back up. The outflow has slowed a bunch, but not stopped, but im hopeful it will.

If not, That leak can be worked on without lowering the pond below the level it was all winter.

Jeff

The pond currently is about 5" from the actual overflow. 

SwampDonkey

Won't be long before the peepers sing, it is April after all.  ffwave

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

Peepers haven't started up there yet? I just checked my notes and I heard the first one on 2/27/2024, last year I didn't hear them until about a month later. They make an amazing amount of noise, and I love it! 

SwampDonkey

End of April, first part of May here. Cold don't bother them too much as long as stuff doesn't turn into blocks of ice. They are tough.  ffcheesy

Jeff

Cedar and I walked down this morning. We gained 3-4" in depth over night. It's dead calm out there, and I could not see any disturbances on the water surface. No movement of any surfaces,  but, there is still water moving slightly at the bottom of the dike, so its coming from somewhere.

The footprint of the pond is much bigger in just a day.

Magicman

This Summer you may have to take the backhoe and dig down, cut a core trench, and then backfill/compact with new soil.  That way you would be fixing rather than patching.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Bentonite not only swells when it gets wet, it also changes the ion structure of most clay soils, much like a catalyst, and causes them to "slump" and flow into holes like gravy.  So the pond clay as well as the bentonite produce a flowable slurry.  Some clays work better than others, and there are easy ways to tell how well it might work, using a desk top experiment.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

I found more seeps this morning, up higher than the ones I worked on yesterday. I can tell you one thing, if you get a mixture of the native clay and the bentonite on your boots, you aint kicking or simply rinsing it off.

The first leaks yesterday, instantly clouded the outflow when I started giving them attention.
This mornings leaks, were just a swirl on the water over a couple inches of water. It took several minutes for the outflow to cloud on this find and repair. The outflow is getting harder to detect. It has went from having a visible ripple to it, to having to watch the debris in the water for movement.  I think Im getting there.

Don P

We watch where we walk when the well guys leave, you can track that stuff forever. I was somewhere below Butte driving on dirt roads in the rain in bentonite country, hit a section line correction and I think I saw the back end of the truck a half dozen times  ffcheesy. The porta potties out there all had that buff color.

Jeff

I took the backhoe back yesterday to rake out the garbage from the base of the dike. That is whene I found where it was all coming from. A pushed over small tree, that still had the stump in the side of the dike and roots heading for the pond.  I know exactly where it is coming out now. More to come.

Jeff

Before and now

Thank You Sponsors!