iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Furry Edges

Started by Kingmt, October 18, 2015, 11:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingmt

I'm new at milling so I don't know if this is common/normal or not. I'm milling pine. I use dish soap & water as my lube. The pitch is staying pretty well cleaned off my new 4° Wood Maxx blade.

My wife asked why it was leaving the furry edge. I didn't have an answer for her. I've seen this on lumber before & also planned lumber I've sawed but I don't know what causes it. It doesn't bother me & doesn't hurt anything to build with it but I would like to be asked to give an answer other then maybe it is cold.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

UpInATree

Furry on the exit side of the cut?  If so, this can be from feed speed too fast for the sharpness of the blade. 
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

Kingmt

Yes on the exit side. I thought I was going really slow.

Ox

Happens a lot for me when sawing pine.  More so when the blade is duller.  Feed speeds don't seem to make much difference.  Some furry edge always seems to be there except around knots.  I just figure it's a pine thing.   :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bkaimwood

Exit fray is more notable on softwoods, sometimes non existent on hardwoods.. While feed rates and blade sharpness impact it, even using the ideal new blade for what you are sawing and matching feed rate typically will not eliminate it. It has little to no impact on the quality of lumber, and is pretty much normal...production sawing with higher feed rates and more aggressive blades makes it worse...but, like I said, with it being pretty much normal, don't beat yourself up trying to eliminate it. If you want just experiment with different blades and feed rates...
bk

Magicman

Put a sharp blade on for comparison and see if there is any difference.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Not sure how furry is furry, but sharp blades with the right wood will still give ya the curls, at least for me, curls being fuzz as you mentioned.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GDinMaine

It will be "furry" and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it.  I see it happen when the logs are less then "fresh".  I could not make smooth lumber from year-old pine logs with a brand new blade that just came out of the box. It was not only producing the fraying on the exit, but on the surface of the boards as well. I tried WM 7° and 9° blades.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

timberjackrob

I have it quite a bit with poplar no problem with it in oak.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

gfadvm

"Exit fray" - I learned a new term today. I like it. Elm seems the worst of the hardwoods I cut for "exit fray". But I don't see it as a problem.

Kingmt

It doesn't bother me at all. I just didn't have a answer to the "why" when I was asked. I'm sawing pine I cut about a week before sawing. Once the bark is cut away I get 1-2" stipes hanging off the exit side of the lumber. I think they may have only been on the bottom side of the cut but I wasn't paying enough attention to it to know for sure.

I was just tickled that it was nice & smooth for the most part with no waves anymore. The stock blade was making wavy lumber.

78NHTFY

Also like the term "exit fray." ;D.  I cut a fair amount of WP -- typically see "EF" when pine is fresh and blades getting duller.  The drier the pine the less EF.  It had an effect on my work the other day when staining air dried ship lap for my barn: the EF was dry and tearing up my brush when I applied stain to the ship lap surface.  Not really a problem: just a pole barn! :).  Just part of the rough cut look of the wood surface.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

deadfall

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

snowshoveler

None of that nasty exit fray on a circle mill.
Just messin with you.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

barbender

I get more exit fray on pine with WM 7's  than I do with WM 10 's
Too many irons in the fire

UpInATree

So...if the circle mills don't get EXIT FRAY, is there something to do with the gullet size of the cutting blade?   Of is the cutting action of the circle mill different as it moves through the wood?
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

snowshoveler

The gullet size is huge and I think the feet per minute is crazy high too.
That's why a circle mill needs big power.
I kind of cheat..my 4 side planer eats all my mistakes and also all the exit fray.
No evidence left at all.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Kingmt

If if assume the circle blade sounds into the wood so it isn't pushing the fray or of the board like a band saw does. This is a little hard for me to put into words tho.

Thank You Sponsors!