iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My echo 590

Started by Bruno of NH, October 30, 2021, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

My echo 590 got a Tinman's saws type muffler mod this morning. 
I ordered a cs 620 unlimited coil and carb for it as well.
If the muffler mod works good the 620pw will get it as well.
These echo saws are So nice to work on and run.
For the money the 590 is a great saw.
Can you do a gasket delete without porting the saw and get any gains ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

drlewis

i too have cs 590 18in.bar. had it now for 6 years use it everyday.i have many saws but i go too that one all the time never let me down. great saw for the money.

Tacotodd

Bruno, you can do a base gasket delete, IF it's a vertical split case. If it's a clamshell style then you can't. That's a very general statement on my part, but I've not seen any exceptions to that statement either.

At the front of the case, is there a seem running vertically on the oil tank, like the case would be split for doing assembly or repair? If so then it "should" be a typical vertical split case.
Trying harder everyday.

sawguy21

It is a vertical split so port configuration could be interesting.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

samandothers

@ladylake may know the answer.  He usually has some good feedback related to the Echos.  He may visit this thread in a bit and have some input.  

ladylake

These saws are vertically split so you could do a base gasket delete.  To me they run good enough with a muff modd and good tuning.  Very easy to work on.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tacotodd

X2 on a MM and a good tune!
Trying harder everyday.

Spike60

Gents, it's not a good idea to assume that any vertically split case is a candidate for a gasket delete Some saws are too tight, or have too thick a gasket to simply delete it. In some cases the piston will be banging up against the top of the cylinder. A guy like Steve that has a lot of experience with Echos would know for sure. But deleting without measuring can wreck a saw pretty quick.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Bruno of NH

The muffler mod woke the saw up some  :)
I'm waiting on the unlimited coil. 
I'm going to mod the muffler on my 620 as well.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tacks Y

So what did you do to the muffler?  I have a 491 or 490? I would like to help out.

Bruno of NH

I took the muffler off.
Removed the top cover and opened that up.
Then under that I drilled a 3/8 hole in the closed off spot.
Used a deburring tool and oveled it up to 1/2 ".
What a difference. 
I'm still waiting on the unlimited coil to come in.
USPS   ;)

Tacotodd

The unlimited coil is great for tuning, but  don't count on them for anything else. The Husqvarna blue vs black is in the same boat. Now if you've had extensive porting done, rely on your ear and go with the unlimited. THAT's when an unlimited shines ;) But stock, I've learned to stay with limited on my Husqvarna. Built in timing retard for easier starting. I don't know how our different Echo coils work.

BTW, that handlebar that I got from you fit PERFECTLY on my little CS550P! smiley_blue_bounce
Trying harder everyday.

axeman2021

What is the difference in a Digital ignition system and a SAIS  
  ignition system?

The Echo 590 has the Digital the Echo 680 has the SAIS system?

Bruno of NH

590 limited coil 
620 unlimited coil 
My unlimited coil hit the yard today for the 590
I also have a 620 that's getting a muffler mod as well 

Bruno of NH

The 590 got the unlimited coil yesterday and I pulled the limiter caps on the carb and the carb of the 620.
Didn't have time to test and tune yet .

mike_belben

Before pulling a jug hose the saw down with brake cleaner and compressed air REALLY GOOD.  Pull the gasket and bolt jug back on. Use solder in the plug hole to check the squish clearance at the perimeter of the jug. Then measure the solder thickness.

Below .030" is getting close.  It can be machined by gluing sandpaper to a piston top and using a paint stick to turn it by hand.  

Hondabond and yamabond are both good sealants for the base joint.  Make sure everything is clean.  Blocks can have a parting line step that doesnt want to seal unless its surfaced.  
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

This 590 is fun saw to do things to.
For the price it's hard to beat for a saw around the mill.
The 620 is another great saw.
But for someone on a budget no saw come close to the 590.

cuznguido

Can I jump in here with a quick question?  On the 590, as you look at the carb adjusting screws, is the H the one on the left, or the right?

Bruno of NH

Tacotodd

I asked @Spike60 that same question. The high side is always furthest from the piston and the low side is always closest. 

Trying harder everyday.

cuznguido

Bruno of NH

We ran the saw today triming some big logs at the mill.
The unlimited coil is worth the money. 
I was going to put a 620 carb on it but I might just leave it.

ladylake

Could be the unlimited coil has different  timing numbers.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!