iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 310 vs. husky 460

Started by smith2bj, November 23, 2009, 11:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith2bj

Which is better between the 2 or are they really about the same?

Cut4fun

I thought WTH 310 v/s 460  :o, then I seen Husky 460 2nd time.  Thats why people need to read a sentence twice before replying.

Go run them them and see whats feels right to you. If you need dealer support for everything, that would be very important too in the decision.

Rocky_J

Just say no to mediocre saws.  :D

cuznguido

Are you implying that the Husky is an inferior saw? ::)

Rocky_J

No, I'm implying that the MS310 and Husky 460 are mediocre saw models. I wouldn't buy either one, although I guess they are better than a lot of the junk sold out there.

And I own 7 Huskys and 5 Stihls.  ;)

ladylake

Pretty much a toss up, the 460 might have slightly more power with the 310 being built slightly better.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

smith2bj

Rocky_J I agrre with you 100% and thats why I have a Jonsered 2171 and a stihl 361.  i am not a fan of the cheaper saws but my father-in-law baught the husky 360 and I was going to sell him a stihl 310.  Looking at them they look like the same saw just different names.  I would have recomendded a 2165 or the 361, but what am I going to do.  I just wanted to know a little more about the saw.

nmurph

there is nothing wrong with a 310. well it is a little heavy and has a clamshell design, but they are as reliable as gravity, parts are readily available and are cheaper than the pro saws. it depends on how much wood you will cutting and what your pocketbook says. i tell you what, you buy one and i will help you with a muffler mod that will put it cutting uncomfortably close to a 361/357 and you will have money left over for pair of chaps, an extra chain, and to take your significant other to dinner. if you are not happy with it, your money is only an ebay sale away.

smith2bj

nmurph

Red 93 L1 #3383

I have a 310 & it's a good saw for the money.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

MartyParsons

Brand   Husqvarna   Stihl
Model   460/18     MS310/18

Displacement    60.3   59.0
Power (hp)   3.7   4.0
Weight/ph    12.8   13.0
P/W Ratio   0.29   0.31
Fuel capacity    14.9   18.9    (OZ)
Chain pitch   3/8   3/8 rsc3

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ladylake

I think Stihl has the HP numbers over rated on the 290. 310 and 390 saws, the ones I've run were no where near the power stated when compared to other saws with less HP.   They have the MS290 at 3.8 HP and the MS260 at 3.2 HP yet they cut just about the same.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John Mc

Quote from: ladylake on November 28, 2009, 05:38:37 AM
I think Stihl has the HP numbers over rated on the 290. 310 and 390 saws, the ones I've run were no where near the power stated when compared to other saws with less HP.

I wonder if this is a question of torque vs HP? Perhaps some of the other saws you're comparing have a wider torque band?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nmurph

I think Stihl has the HP numbers over rated on the 290. 310 and 390 saws, the ones I've run were no where near the power stated when compared to other saws with less HP.   They have the MS290 at 3.8 HP and the MS260 at 3.2 HP yet they cut just about the same.    Steve
hp figures have been independently confirmed, it's just that they are a bit peaky; power drops significantly above peak hp rpm.

ladylake

Quote from: nmurph on November 28, 2009, 01:06:05 PM
hp figures have been independently confirmed, it's just that they are a bit peaky; power drops significantly above peak hp rpm.

I don't believe Stihls numbers or the independently tested numbers for 1 second, Stihl can fudge the numbers and either buy off the independent  tester or send them a ringer when they run the test.  There is big money to be made from getting the HP numbers higher on a low cost saw.  Most decent 50cc saws with the same or less HP numbers will cut faster than the 56cc MS290 no matter how you run the 290

nmurph

who's numbers do you believe? this could be said of all manufacturers.

John Mc

Peak rated horsepower is not the whole story in how well a saw cuts anyway.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

Rated numbers mean nothing, if I have a 10.5#  50cc saw that cuts faster than a 13#  55cc saw I'll call the 50cc saw a good saw even if the rated hp is less.     Steve

smith2bj

what is that little tweek that I can so with my 310 to make it run better?

Cut4fun

Quote from: smith2bj on November 30, 2009, 10:39:31 AM
what is that little tweek that I can so with my 310 to make it run better?

Muffler mod and carb retune in 20 mins and for free done yourself.  I had a MS290 on the bench to test on and gained 23% faster cut times with muffler mod and fine tuning the carb afterwords to new muffler openings.

smith2bj

what do I do to it?  Is there anywhere online that I can go to to see how it is down?

Cut4fun

There is no need to uncrimp or remove cage on this muffler. It is very restrictive with only 2 small slits for opening from the factory.  PM sent.

Thank You Sponsors!