iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

usage of self milled lumber

Started by shelbycharger400, February 17, 2014, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

Anyone know the law for Minnesota shurbune county.

LittleJohn

This probably doesnt help but old man live in Pine County and he had no issue with self milled (walls 2x6 and shiplap-instead of plywood), but uncle down in Chaska actaully had to hire a guy to grade lumber before the city would let him use it to finish basement

Just a shot of my old mans "little garage"

learner

Maybe this will help Shelby.
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-find-minnesota-building-codes-7449670.html

Generally you wont run into problems until you get into residential buildings.  Then the government gets really picky with you about lumber standards, building codes and permits!

WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Remle

Only one good way to find out, talk to your local building inspector.
The old don't ask don't tell and what they don't know won't hurt me can lead to huge trouble and fines.

shelbycharger400

I called over a week ago,  and haven't received and email or call back.  Ya. Its going in an addition on the house

bandmiller2

Shelby, every place is different you must speak with the local inspector. Almost always you can frame with store bought stamped lumber and sheath with your own. Some inspectors are sports and if they trust your judgement you can use more of your stuff but for real load bearing they like the stamp. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

36 coupe

Maine has adopted a building code state wide.It does not apply in towns under 2000 population.Call the inspector until you get an answer.I have seen lumber marked # 2 that doesnt meet # 3 grade.The grading system is a joke.Dont rely on heresay info on this matter.I was a building inspector here for 15 years.Got tired of the increasing BS.Worked at grading lumber in the 60s.All pieces had to be handled, with all faces examined.Now they run lumber under a roll stamp for grading.

barbender

I live in Itasca County, MN. There is no building inspector, the only inspections I had to have for our new house was electrical and septic. If you live in a town or city, then you fall under their jurisdiction. I freely used my lumber whenever needed. I can't speak for Sherburne County.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Quote from: 36 coupe on February 27, 2014, 08:24:57 AMI have seen lumber marked # 2 that doesnt meet # 3 grade. 
Grading framing lumber is an average and a % of lower grade is acceptable.  Thankfully we are not shackled with grade stamp regulations where I live, but there are municipalities that are.

Here, the loan institution, insurance, builder, and inspector will sign off on architectural drawings that specify #2 and or rough sawn framing lumber.  FHA will not.  It has to be grade stamped.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LittleJohn

Quote from: barbender on February 27, 2014, 10:25:31 PM
I live in Itasca County, MN. There is no building inspector, the only inspections I had to have for our new house was electrical and septic. If you live in a town or city, then you fall under their jurisdiction. I freely used my lumber whenever needed. I can't speak for Sherburne County.

A few years ago, when constructing the old mans garage, the state was fighting with it self over budget stuff I think (all MN state operations were shut down); so he had the electrical inspection the last day before the shut down.  THANKFULLY everything passed, and as the inspector was leaving he said that if there were any questions, don't call him - cause as soon as he left the driveway we was technically off the clock and out of work.   :o

All that was required here in PINE COUNTY, MN - living out of town; Electrical and Septic Inspections only.  They even went for the more extreme (not required) pressure test of the septic system and lines so that we could run our plumbing lines a tad closer than spec.  Sit on a small ridge with water on both sides, space is somewhat limited.

Left Coast Chris

Ours varies by county  and I live in a County that requires grade stamps.    On occasion you can still get an agreement if you show engineering for the lowest grade of the wood for a building that won't be a residence or for the public.   That has worked for me a couple of times.   Need to approach the building dept before hand, get to know them and discuss.  If you are the owner builder that also helps.  In my case Im also the engineer so you may be better off having your engineer talk with them.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

iwiegian

What a wonderful free country we live in. Makes me wonder how the human race ever got this far without regulations.

shelbycharger400

Regulations happened cause someone prob died due to someone doing something stupid.  Now everyone else has to suffer,  now their is the ones making regulations due to they know one can do without them and it cuts into their suit and tie steak and lobster dinners

Thank You Sponsors!