iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mixed Oak load?

Started by woodhick, May 01, 2009, 12:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I have about 350 board feet of quartesawn white oak that has been air drying for about 6 months.  I am getting ready to saw up a bunch of red oak that was standing dead since last summer.  Can I mix them in the kiln?  I will follow the schedule for green oak so it would be slow for the air dried stuff.  All of this stock is 4/4".   Would like to have the white oak dried but don't want to run the kiln for just 350'.  total load with the red oak would be 1,000- 1,500 board feet.  Kiln is a Nyle L200 in a 20' insulated truck body.  I have dried cherry and poplar without any problems but have not dried oak before.   I was thinking  it might be best to stagger the air dried white oak throughout the red oak if I do mix it.  Anyway what is everyones opinions on this?  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Gary_C

From what I remember, mixing wet and dry oak in a kiln is a no-no. Problem is you will rewet that white oak and that is not a good thing.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

oakiemac

I wouldnt mix them because their MC's are too different. As Gary mentioned, rewetting the WO would probably not be a good thing. I mix species all the time in my kilns but I try to make sure they are in the same drying group and the same MC.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

OneWithWood

What is the MC of the air dried WO?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jimF

depending on where you live 10-15%

woodhick

sorry hadn't followed up on this one.   WO was at 14% MC.   I sold it as air dried instead of mixing it with a kiln load.  Thanks for the help.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

OneWithWood

You did the best thing.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!