iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breaker & Spinner for 1/4" chain?

Started by OddInTheForrest, May 19, 2022, 07:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OddInTheForrest

Have speculated in making chains at home, as I tend to use a lot of chains for the smallest saw (MS151) during a season. The original stihl bar holds up well, I turn it often, but the chains dont have enough steel in them to last. Its the original 1/4" 00.43 chain. Anyone who have used it, will see what I mean. 

Are there any quick way of making it on my own? And, are there any major differences in the quality of chains from Stihl to Oregon or other brands? I have used a few oregon chains in the past, and honestly have found them to be softer than Stihls chains. Any other users who have felt the same?

Best regards Odd.

dave86

It is the general consensus that Stihl chains are somewhat tougher than Oregon, also more expensive.  Dedicated bench tools for breaking chain and spinning rivets are not cheap, it would be a long time to break even on the cost.  The Granberg Break-N-Mend tool is not cheap either.  The Pocket chainsaw breaker tool is less than $20, it does not look easy to use.

Do the math on the cost of 100 foot reels vs buying loops.  The loops may be cheaper.  Cheap Chinese loops can be had for less than $7.00 each.

lxskllr

I like Stihl chain, and I use the ~$20 pocket breaker, but I don't have any ΒΌ" chain. The pocket breaker isn't easy, but it isn't hard either. It takes me about 20 minutes to "spin" up a ⅜" chain, with everything included. That's pull the reel out, count drivelinks, count them again to be sure, file off the rivet heads and punch them out, join the ends with a tiestrap, and peen the new rivets over.

sawguy21

1/4" chain is not easy to work with, there is no way around it. Are you carving with a 'dime tip' bar that you need that size? Maybe the 61PM chain, 3/8" lo pro, would be more practical. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rusticretreater

I recently did a price out on tools and spool of chain to make loops for my Husqvarna.  I am a tool snob because I don't like messing with inadequate tools.  I came out even on costs, so i still buy my loops from Oregon.

Harbor Freight has an all in one bench mounted tool for $75 to break and spin rivets but with bad reviews. My estimates had double that price for a dedicated breaker and a dedicated spinner.  

Unless you are willing to use the lesser tools or already have them on hand, the average user will not get any savings benefit from making their own loops until they pass 20 or so depending on bar length and price of a chain.  At least, that's how it figured for me.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Fields

save money or not, I like playing around with stuff.  I bought a spinner and breaker, It might not pay for itself in my lifetime, but that doesnt matter to me, rain day, snow day, emergency need, I am able to fix or make up chains.....  As stated, 1/4 inch chain is a bit harder to work with.. I like Stihl chain too, but at this time, st hurts to pay for it..

Spike60

We gave away our breaker and spinner about 20 years ago. The savings on pre-cut vs reel chain is only pennies. And when you sell 1000's of loops a year, that's an awful lot of breaking and spinning. And we'd NEVER stay on top of it and keep the shelf full. :)

The only advantage reel chain would have for us is the ability to make the occasional odd loop for some old saw. But it's so rare to run into that anymore that it's not something we think about.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!