iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any of these old chainsaws worth fixing?

Started by stanmillnc, May 23, 2022, 04:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanmillnc

Picked up this pile of old chainsaws at a yard sale. Wondering which ones (if any) may be worth investing the time and $ to get them operational? One of them that you can't really see in this picture is a Tanaka. Most are Homelite and McCulloch. 

lxskllr

I've never run one, but I always liked the way the Homelite top handles looked. There's a few in there that look like they'd be fun to clean up and run. Dunno if any are particularly desirable.

sawguy21

Is this a hobby or are you wanting to put them to work? Parts for most if not all are no longer available, the manufacturers are long gone, so you will spend a lot of time scrounging. I enjoy tinkering with these old timers, I see a couple of Pioneers that interest me. If you want production forget them and step up to something that will do the job without fussing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

louie3888

Just looking at them brings memories of many years of late nights :)

snowstorm

in 75 i worked for a case dealer that also sold homelite . i sold and worked on a ton of those little xl"s  new they were $99. in there day they were not that bad. would i spend 10 bucks to fix one no same with the 150 thats missing the starter. now the super ez that is worth saving and should be

Spike60

Geez, that pile looks familiar. This stuff shows up now and then at the store. Beyond just having some tinkering fun, there's not much there. If you wanted to have a small saw handy for small jobs, then getting 1 or 2 going might be worth it. Sawguy mentioned parts, and he's right. You'd want to pick complete saws and work with what you've got. Even having to buy a bar and chain would likely cost as much as any of these saws would be worth running.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

dave86

Depends on how much you value your time.  Most of them are in the $60-100 range cleaned up and running. You can expect them all to need a carb rebuild.  

The little Homies will likely need their points sanded to make spark.

If the green Poulan has electronic ignition and no spark, the module is NLA.  I fixed one by pulling the coil off the armature and replacing it with a coil from a different saw.  

The Mac 3200s will likely need new fuel lines and primer bulbs. Look at the oil tanks first, the necks break off.

The Mac 610 should be worth $150.

The Mac top handle saws might be worth $120. 

The Pioneer in the back has collector interest, it is likely the most valuable of the bunch.

Spike60

Either Dave has already stopped by and gone through that pile of saws, or has seen them all at one time or another cause that evaluation is spot on. LOL

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

GAB

Remove the bars and chains, clean them up a bit and then use'm for door stops.
Oh, and I've got 4 I could add to that pile.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

dave86

Quote from: Spike60 on May 26, 2022, 04:57:54 AM
Either Dave has already stopped by and gone through that pile of saws, or has seen them all at one time or another cause that evaluation is spot on. LOL
I have examples of most of those saws, and have had the pleasure of resurrecting them.

Spike60

Any that you actually use now and then Dave? I have an EZ Homelite that I run now and then when in a "vintage" mood.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

I've got a pile of dead ones also all freebies .Every so often I might take a notion to get one running and it's normally just  the carb needs rebuilt .
I think it was two years ago  summer before during the lock down I really got with it .Two partner p-100's two Makita concrete saws ,four weed eaters and 3 or 4 blowers .
I've got plenty of good saws that do run .Tinkering with an antique is just the challenge of making it run not to actually use it .Make a few cuts then send it to the shelf with the rest of them .
As for the double trigger Homelite I have one .In the day it was competition for a Mini Mac ,less than $100 .I've got better top handles namely two Stihl MS 200T's so the baby Homey sits on the shelf .The Homey's are what they are ,trim the apple tree in the back yard types not oak slayers . 

Thank You Sponsors!