iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Indian Paintbrush

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 18, 2020, 12:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I'm thinking this is Indian Paintbrush. If not and you recognize it please correct me. A few of these grow along my creek in the front yard every summer and I try to weedeat around them. I think I found 4 yesterday and 3 hopefully survived although one was a near miss. I really like them.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sprucebunny

Indian Paintbrush

There is a weed around here I was told was Indian Paintbrush and it's nothing like that !! Starting to think that some of those summer camp conselors from the early '60s knew nothing !!!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

doc henderson

funny you should say that.  there was a plant like that at camp Alexander in Colorado.  it was stated to be protected and endangered, and you could be fined for picking or destroying one.  not sure if that was camp lore, rules state or otherwise.  I will see if my son can remember the name.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

I learned that what we used to call Indian Paint Brush in Oregon is not the same plant as what folks around here call Indian Paint Brush, so maybe both are right.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I asked my son William what was the name of the plant at camp that they said would get you fined if you picked it, and he said "Indian paintbrush".  it had smaller flowers and not so many.  It grew all over at camp, and you were afraid to even step on it! 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tamarack

Looks like cardinal flower likes wet areas

WV Sawmiller

I think that is what it is. Furby sent me a PM with the same info and I think you are both right. I still like them even if it isn't a tool for applying colorful coatings by aboriginal indigenous residents. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

We have a lawn weed here called devil's paint brush or orange hawkweed (Hieracium aurantiacum), most are yellow hawkweed. I see very few orange ones. This is the first year in a long time I have even seen black eyed susan popping up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Swampdonkey, after some serious searching, I found that Hawkweed is what I always thought was Indian Paintbrush. It's an irritating weed.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Don P

The boss walked by and I said "wassat?"
"Cardinal flower, lobelia, grows in swampy ground, there's a blue one too"
Walking plant encyclopedia that woman :D

Thank You Sponsors!