iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Indian Chain Saw

Started by Lorenzo, August 11, 2015, 11:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

Any one have one of these.

I found this in a privet collection and might be able to buy it someday but not now.

I think it's a pretty cool saw.
How about you?

dougand3

Cool saw. With the length of those cutters, you could still be sharpening them in 2045.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

thecfarm

I think it's pretty cool too!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Near mint condition
I did some research : It's a 1959 Indian Sioux ......manufacturer in Illinois. 77cc. 19 lbs. 3.5hp. 16:1 fuel mix. 7/16"-1/2" chain 16"-24". PM AH-7 engine type 1198.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Lorenzo

Do you think it's the same company as the Indian Motorcycle?

If so,  they probably had it made by someone else and put their name on it.

HolmenTree

No relation to the motorcycle company.
From what I see the saw company started out as rebadged Clinton saws in the early 1950s manufactured near Chicago.
Went out of business around 1964.

HolmenTree

Just to add Magnus from Chainsaw Collectors SE  says they were sold in Sweden as farmer grade saws.

CTYank

I'll bet you can hear that one running, a few towns over. Like an F/A-18 with "burners" lit.

Just looking at that "muffler" makes my ears start to bleed.  :o
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

clww

Never heard of or seen one of those before now. Thanks for the picture and history.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

cbla

ktowne030311

Nice looking saw, couldn't imagine running it all day though!
McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

TimRB

Quote from: ktowne030311 on August 13, 2015, 08:51:21 AM
Nice looking saw, couldn't imagine running it all day though!

Think it might be a little bit loud?

Tim

Al_Smith

Those old Power Products AH 47 engines  ran so slow even with a stub pipe they were not that loud .

630red

Nice to see, hope you get to buy it some day.

Gearbox

Our neighbor had a Lombard with that engine . Anyone saying that thing was not loud was already hard of hearing . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

petefrom bearswamp

I think  that if my Forestry School had had one in 1958 I would have run  that  sucker too.
We had a Mall which weighed at least 150 pounds (tongue in cheek)and we hated it.
EDITED BY ADMIN
We also had 2 homelites a 6-24 WHICH weighed  6 POUNDS an had a 24 inch bar,which was a 2 position carbuerator and a 7-21 which weighed 21 pounds and had an all position carbuerator
\We liked these 2.I think the 6 and 7 designations were for HP
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

dennyb

Quote from: Lorenzo on August 12, 2015, 09:17:19 AM
Do you think it's the same company as the Indian Motorcycle?

If so,  they probably had it made by someone else and put their name on it.
They used Chrysler motors. 

Air Lad

Very cool
 Thanks for sharing  smiley_thumbsup

Mad Professor

Seems Indian had quite a few models.

Some go info on the acres website

Indian Sioux

mike_belben

What i want to know is how the clamps got through the beam.  Hole saw?
Praise The Lord

Real1shepherd

I ordered the coffee table book, Chainsaws A History by David Lee and in conjunction with Mike Acres.

It's a beautifully illustrated book. I thought there would be more on 70's saws...they just touched on them. The book is really about the 'oldies' both domestic and foreign.

So if you're really into the old saws like the aforementioned Indian, this is the book to have. I'm going to send mine to a friend in Canada, as I really have no interest in saws before the 70's.

Kevin

sawguy21

I have a copy, it is nowhere near a complete history but is very representative of each period in chainsaw lore. I have a small collection, particularly want a complete two man that won't cost me a quart of clean blood and rights to my first born. Some guys think they have the Crown Jewels.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ventryjr

Quote from: mike_belben on October 09, 2020, 09:04:40 AM
What i want to know is how the clamps got through the beam.  Hole saw?
Looks like 2x4 roof trusses in a shed 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 09, 2020, 11:42:25 AM
I have a copy, it is nowhere near a complete history but is very representative of each period in chainsaw lore. I have a small collection, particularly want a complete two man that won't cost me a quart of clean blood and rights to my first born. Some guys think they have the Crown Jewels.
There's one paragraph where they like mention all the US saw manufacturers back in the day. They made the decision to illustrate only the saws that represented certain periods and were noteworthy with respect to chainsaw stair-step history.

They had an obvious bias for IEL, pre-war and post-war.........but IEL arguably had the first one-man direct drive chainsaw. And actually, all the saws after that were nothing more than a refinement of the IEL original design.....it was that good. IEL became Pioneer and the rest as they say, is history.

Even when presented with proven one-man saws, many loggers were slow to convert from two-man saws.

Kevin

sawguy21

They were forced to abandon the two man, the saws were too dangerous and too cumbersome in the west coast forests where they were designed to be used. Saws were resisted period. The loggers didn't like the noise, they were temperamental beasts needing constant fiddling to keep them running and many were afraid the newfangled machines would put them out of work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!