iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log scoots

Started by JamesE. PikeLogging, August 25, 2010, 01:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesE. PikeLogging

I have some questions for the people on here that log with draft animals about building scoots for use with oxen/draft horses:

1. im going to use hardwood for the runners and cross beams but i dont know what species to use i have a good source of beech,maple,oak and ash on my parents property?

2. what should i use for the tongue of the scoot, and what should the dimensions be for the tongue for a 1 year old pair of steers?
thanks

isawlogs

Of those mentioned , ash would be my first pick for the tongue , oak for the runners of the scoot , a mix of ash and oak to make the scoot itself . I will look up the dimention of the tongue and get back to you on that part.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

tyb525

Can't help you with the animal aspect of it, but I would use ash or oak for the runners and cross beams. For the tongue I would also use ash or oak. If you can get some Locust though, that would be your best bet for the runners.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

JamesE. PikeLogging

me and my dad figured we are gunna use a peice of ash for the tongue and it will be 4''x12''x8 feet it wiil get slimmer towards the hitching end

isawlogs

Here is a link to a site that might be of help to you, I have always seen chains used with Oxens from the yoke to the log and or scoot .. thast dont mean that there aint no tongue ever used now ...  ;)

http://www.ruralheritage.com/     I sure would like to see a pic of your oxen  :)

Go into the logging section .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JamesE. PikeLogging

i want a tongue so that the sled wont run over there heels because we have some small slopes

isawlogs

The tongues I use with the horses are 12' long , 5" at the businuse end  and tappers to 3x3 at the neck yoke if that can help you any .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!