iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Newbie Question Re Cant Hooks

Started by plaindriver, June 22, 2013, 09:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

tyb525 - the handle is made of aluminum, the hooks are steel that has been heat treated and then zinc plated so you don't have to worry about rusting.

ValleyGuy - if your friend did purchase a logrite and it bent please have him call me

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Wallys World

I have a Logrite 60" peavy and a hookeroon. I don't know how to work without them.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

OlJarhead

http://youtu.be/TudSOd6e2NY
Here I am using my short LogRight on a log that was 23" at the big end.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Magicman

The video is "unavailable" to me.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Quote from: Magicman on June 25, 2013, 06:55:18 PM
The video is "unavailable" to me.   :-\

Try again, I think it was still processing.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Magicman

OK, maybe I was too quick on the draw.  I'm practicing my "open carry".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Quote from: Magicman on June 25, 2013, 07:03:22 PM
OK, maybe I was too quick on the draw.  I'm practicing my "open carry".   ;D
You need to update your Avatar pic then MM, we need to see that hogleg! ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

:o  Your eyes might not could take it.   ;D

5quarter

I did the same thing CLWW did, except I had an inverse result: the log remained where it was and my lovely logrite was wrenched into a pretzel. I had a homemade cant hook with a large eye bolt attached to the handle just for that purpose, but for some reason, did not have it that day. My wife felt bad about my loss and bought me another for a fathers day gift. I take much better care of it now and it takes good care of me. I've since bought a couple more, and I can say with confidence that when used properly, you can flex them but you cannot damage them. very good tools.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Brucer

I bought my first one -- a 30" mill special -- back in 2005. I bent the handle a few months later (by rolling a 2000 lb+ log over it :(). Logrite supplied me with a new handle and it is still my work horse cant hook around the mill. Now it's got more of a blue & silver look but it'll probably outlast me.

I use the longer handled cant hook in the log yard. It doesn't get nearly as much use but it's a back saver when I do need it.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting the 2 sizes -- 30" & 60".
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Hopefully ValleyGuy will give us an update. 

ValleyGuy

Sorry to be off for a bit, bad time of the year.

I hope I wasn't fooled on the Logrite as I ordered it from Amazon and they were supplied by Bailey I think. I'll check my bill. I ordered it from the US and picked it up at the border. Didn't complain about it as it's such a hassle to return things over the border.

Logrite has contacted me and asked for pics which I sent. I hadn't thought that they might be interested but now that I see just how highly they are thought of here I can understand their concern.

Seems that there are a lot of Logrite fans here, didn't intend to disparage the product as I still like it the product, just using it on smaller logs.

M

GDinMaine

I have a couple of Dixie cant hooks that are about 20-years-old.  They are not fancy and not even pretty anymore, but they roll logs very well. One is 48" the other is 36" long.  The shorter one sees a lot more use.  Rarely but I ran into large (36"+ diameter) logs that has a fair bit of sweep or large knots.  That is when I would like a 60" or so handle.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

mkjones32

60" Peavey and 48" Cant Hook.  No luck bending my 60" Peavey so far.  ;D 

Kevin

beenthere

Don't try a Logrite, 'cause you won't go back to the Dixie's afterwards.   Just sayin..
;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Wahl

I have an assortment of cant hooks and peaveys. I also have a 60" Logrite cant hook and peavey
and a 78" Big Arkansas Super Stick Logrite. I don't think I have even touched the others since
I started using the Logrites at least 10 years ago. You can have the Logrites, though, when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

GDinMaine

Quote from: beenthere on June 26, 2013, 02:34:01 PM
Don't try a Logrite, 'cause you won't go back to the Dixie's afterwards.   Just sayin..
;)

It 'ait broke so I don't fix it. 

I could drop $350+ for a couple of Logrites or just keep using the ones I have, that are perfectly functional.   Let me get back with you on that.

WM LT-40HD-D42

Jeff

Quote from: GDinMaine on June 26, 2013, 03:34:12 PM

I could drop $350+ for a couple of Logrites or just keep using the ones I have, that are perfectly functional.   Let me get back with you on that.

Where the heck are you getting your prices from?  That is American dollars correct? And a couple does still mean two?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ValleyGuy

Hi All (again),

I have to say that I'm more impressed than ever with the forum. An innocent comment and I'm getting emails and phone calls. Seriously, thanks to all, looks like Tammy at Logrite would like to replace the handle.

I think the problem started because I had it shipped to a US address. Not knowing I'm north of the border they didn't send me one of the beefier models intended for your brawnier northern cousins.  ;) After eating I sometimes hit 160 lbs, maybe I should have told them that when I ordered it.

Seriously impressed by a great company.

M

GDinMaine

WM LT-40HD-D42

Jeff

Most people get along just fine with a standard duty canthook.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

5quarter

Valley guy...I thought the Canadian logrite also doubled as a hockey stick... ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Tam-i-am

Marc

went to the post office today and your handle is on the way.

As for using the tool, did you see the last video about the imitations, Kevin is bigger than 160(don't tell him I said that) and is hanging on that handle.  he is using a standard series tool.

http://youtu.be/cMw-nx-bcrM

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

ValleyGuy

Thanks Tammy,

I'll give this new handle a workout soon as a friend just dropped off a pile of pine logs.

That you would go to the trouble to find me speaks volumes about your company.

Thanks for the hockey suggestion 5quarter, but is it also warranteed for hockey?

Marc

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!