iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log rests?

Started by Satamax, August 28, 2016, 01:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, i'm questioning myself.

I have about 47' of rail length. I'm building 3 log claws (log dogs)

I'm thinking 2 toe boards (conicity adjustement) away from the saw.

What about log rests? One every 5ft? Less? More?

Thanks a lot guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Ox

I've got one set of bunks (log rests) at 36".  The rest are spaced around 42" from there.  If this is close to what everyone else has, I have no idea, but it works okay for me.  If you have anything shorter than your bunks, just put a nice strong board down for the shorties to lay on.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ljohnsaw

I will eventually mill up some 34' logs into beams.  I built 4 log rests that are moveable and will be doing mostly 24-28' stuff.  Cutting us some 16' stuff for concrete forms and scaffolding, I was using 3 rests only because I didn't want to remove one.  If your logs are "bumpy", too many rests just create problems for the first couple of cuts.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Satamax

Ok guys. Thanks a lot.

Well, that's prety much what i have between the crossmembers. May be 150cm between them. That's 59 inches. So i just have to add log dogs and bunks.

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

dboyt

Looks like you're setting up for some pretty long beams.  I like the supports.  They should stay put.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!