iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cable trolly

Started by chuck172, December 04, 2013, 05:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck172

Is there a way to use a cable system to get firewood down a hill?
I'm thinking of rigging a cable from up high, use a trolly or snatchblock to lift the nose of a log up off the ground, then winch the log downhill to a landing area.
I have an old backhoe, winch mounted to the loader, winch cable, snatch blocks, and chain blocks and come-a-longs.
Will something like this work?

uplander

If you can find it, check out Bobby Perkins PhD thesis on long line logging in Indiana.
He graduated from Purdue university sometime in the early 50's I believe. He scaled down the techniques used out west for long line logging to a smaller scale for southern Indiana.

I would make a query to the school of forestry at Purdue.

Uplander
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

beenthere

I think getting a capstan winch system and/or a logrite arch would be the easiest to move logs downhill.
Too many things to consider to rig up a cable system.
If a cable system, either need to be able to move it easy or get more logs moved laterally to it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

M_S_S

I have been cutting Juniper on a piece of ground that is steep and darn rocky, lol I mean a lot of big rocks. Been winching them down. You couldn't get a skidder or cat within 100 yds of them. I thought about a high line, but like BeenThere said  you would have to move the logs to within reach of the highline or move the highline. Junipers have many long heavy branches from the base of the tree to the top. I leave the branches on , which helps keep the butts out of the rocks, till I get them to a landing, then I limb them, brun the brush and skid them further down the hill, deck them and will buck them up this spring. Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

chuck172

I always wondered,  how well log archs work over boulders and getting around other trees?

Thank You Sponsors!