iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Covid

Started by Bruno of NH, May 20, 2022, 01:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Greens are a good place to get Vitamins. Now Ann is gone, 5 years come Dec 4. :'( I don't eat many greens. I don't like to cook or clean the mess after. Sometimes it's a burnt hamburger and a raw egg for lunch,
I know my health has gone down some, Had a stroke already, In a way I don't care.
I can't tell you how much I miss her.
And my shoulder hurts bad from the shot all the time. How long has it been? 2 + years. My doctor says nothing He can do.
I do eat the alphabet of Vitamins by the hand full every day. :D
Just asking about them so I might cut back some. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

a good diet is a great place to start.  a multi vitamin is great.  some extra vit C and zinc is fine.  If you have a documented deficiency or are taking a medication that uses it up, or requires more of a certain vitamin, it should be replaced.  The fat-soluble vitamins can build up and cause toxicity if you take too much.  Vit K is the antidote for coumadin.  If you take isoniazid for TB, you need to take vit. B6.  you need B12 and folate to make red blood cells.  B12 comes from red meat and takes years to deplete.  folate is green leafy vegetables and takes months to deplete.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

this one is long, but also has more info for those interested.

vitamins fat soluble

this is more of a summary and more readable.

fat soluble vitamins

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

Things I heard that may or may not be true. :D

I know a guy that has really bad blood clot problems, he told me that his doctor told him not to eat greens because it would make it worse, he said it was because of the vitamin k.

Another friend would take lots of vitamin c any time she thought she was getting a cold or anyone she knew had a cold, she ended up with a bad case kidney stones and was told it could have been caused or made worse by taking all the extra vitamin c.

SwampDonkey

K2 you get mostly from fermented veggies like sour kraut.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Well, I guess I'll just take one handful a week now. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ianab

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 20, 2023, 08:34:15 AMnother friend would take lots of vitamin c any time she thought she was getting a cold or anyone she knew had a cold, she ended up with a bad case kidney stones and was told it could have been caused or made worse by taking all the extra vitamin c.

Kidneys are the organs that are filtering waste and excess material from your bloodstream. As you excrete any Vit C that's above what your body actually needs, it makes sense that taking excessive amounts would creates more work for your kidneys. 

On the Covid subject. This is a summary of the pandemic in the Cook Islands. It's an interesting if not very scientific "lab experiment" that suggests what might have happened if the vaccine was available sooner? Basically being an isolated Island they avoided the pandemic completely until Feb 2022, at which time 97% of the population (12+) had been vaccinated. Once the borders opened up they started seeing cases, several hundred a day, and about 1/2 the population tested positive over the next 3 months. But from a population of ~15,000, they recorded only 2 deaths. By the time we visited in August 2022 (A trip booked and paid for in 2019 !), it was all over. Got off the plane and the customs lady says, "you can take your mask off now".  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_Cook_Islands

Having been there several times now I tend to believe their numbers. You can't hide mass deaths in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. The whole Island of Rarotonga is really one small town, but everyone has internet etc. (it's not some dodgy 3rd world dump). 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

twar

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 20, 2023, 08:34:15 AMI know a guy that has really bad blood clot problems, he told me that his doctor told him not to eat greens because it would make it worse, he said it was because of the vitamin k.

This makes sense. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but I do know that people using blood thinners should not go heavy on the kale (and other greens).

twar

Quote from: doc henderson on November 20, 2023, 06:52:50 AMVit K is the antidote for coumadin

And I now see this detail from Doc.

SwampDonkey

Roughly the same demographics as here in NB. We had only slightly more than 1/10th of 1 percent death rate with all the years and deaths combined. If looked at annually, the number diminishes big time with the less lethal strains. Then also separate the deaths as a cause versus incidental and the numbers get squeezed a lot more. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

It's going on around here again lately.  We just got the call our son and 2 of the grandkids have it now. Looks like we will be home alone for Thanksgiving to be safe this year. We were scheduled to go to their home this year. Time to go find a turkey. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

Lots to memorize if you go to med school.  fat soluble vitamins (i.e. they do not come out in urine and can build up) and the vit K dependent clotting factors.  2, 7, 9, and 10.  coumadin blocks those.  It can be dangerous if you get too few clotting factors on coumadin.  INR is the international normalized ratio.  labs would do a standard clotting time for pt/ptt.  then you take the patients number and divide by the normal.  if they are normal, it should be about 1.  i.e. 11.2/11.3 is about one.  for a-fib we want you about 2 to 3 timed the normal.  in the old days you had to do the math and had to know the normal for each facility.  artificial heart valves are 2.5 to 3.5.  It takes a while to make clotting factors so take a day or two to normalize slot time with coumadin/warfarin vs intake of vit K.  If you occasionally eat green leafy veggies, then the doc is going up and down on the dose.  so, it is most important to eat vit. K containing food on a very regular basis (a consistent amount) or try to avoid them in a consistent manner.  too little and you have strokes or PEs from a valve producing clots.  your blood is no thinner from a viscosity point of view, but folks thought it was thinner since it leaked out easier.  It is harder to stop bleeding.  These tend to be used in old people who tend to fall and hit their head.  Potentially a very dangerous drug to use.  Lots of factors and patient education.  We can give vit. K and reverse the coumadin in a day or so or give fresh frozen plasma containing factors.  

Southside

Quote from: Ianab on November 20, 2023, 11:01:45 PMBasically being an isolated Island they avoided the pandemic completely until Feb 2022,

So they isolated from all exposure until one of the less dangerous varieties made it's way around. Wonder how much of a factor that was in the outcome. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

our community of 45K ran about 3 months behind the bigger cities.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Southside on November 21, 2023, 08:35:48 AM
Quote from: Ianab on November 20, 2023, 11:01:45 PMBasically being an isolated Island they avoided the pandemic completely until Feb 2022,

So they isolated from all exposure until one of the less dangerous varieties made it's way around. Wonder how much of a factor that was in the outcome.
No doubt it made a difference but I'm thinking it was part of the plan along with to delay until the virus and treatments were better understood, not all getting it at once and overwhelm hospitals, better controls over the spread of the virus.

doc henderson

It really only works in small communities, or under strict government control (think China) or both.  We tend to not do what we are told here.  I am proud to be a part of that group as well.  Lots of unintended consequences when you are dealing with 330 million folks.

gspren

Right or wrong, smart or dumb, wife and I got our covid boosters today. Our primary care doc said she thought we should.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

I think the odds are in your favor to be more helpful, than not.  The newer strains are less virulent.  Older folks are at increased risk from the disease.  myself included.

Jeff

I'm over this. This topic has been discussed to death since the chinese turned it lose on us. Further discussion on this topic serves this Forestry Forum in zero ways. 

Hereby locked.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!