iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member with sawmill question

Started by 4speed, November 28, 2011, 05:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4speed

Hello everyone.
I recently joined the forum and plan on buying a band saw mill next spring. I own a small business and would like to build my own post and beam home and maybe do some side work with the mill. All I know is I lay awake at night sawing lumber and building! I have looked at many mills and wonder if anyone has any experience with a Log Master mill. I would be purchasing their LM1 model. They are manufactured here in Nacogdoches and it would be within driving distance to go pick one up.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the FORESTRY FORUM, 4-SPEED. If your loosing sleep because of the "no-mill" syndrome.....I went through the same thing.

Don't know about a LOG MASTER, but it'll make saw dust! And it appears that's what you're missing in your diet. :D

Good Luck.....you'll have a good time on the Forum!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

riverswamp sawyer

Welcome to the Forum...... I dont know anything about logMaster mills but I DO know that when you get a sawmill and start sawing ya wont have any problem going to sleep at night!!

Woodwalker

I've got a Logmaster and will buy another should the need arise. The mills are built to last, off the shelf parts and good local people to do business with.
Welcome to the forum,
Wade
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Bill Gaiche

Welcome 4speed. A sawmill will make you sleep good at night, bg

ForestMan

I looked at those online.  They are a bit more expensive than I paid for mine, but they also look very sturdy too.  Good luck finding a mill, and welcome to the forum.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum 4speed.  Calling and making an appointment to spend a few hours at the factory might be time well spent.  They should also be willing to give you a list of Logmaster owners.  Again, Welcome.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Tcsmpsi here on the Forum has one.  Maybe he will chime in, but I know that he has sawed a whack of lumber with it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Yep Mr Top Cat has one and it looks like a nice stout mill. Good luck.  :)

sgschwend

I met a fella here on the forum who I believe has one.  He really liked it, I haven't talk to him in awhile.  I hope he will see your post and give you some pointers on making a purchase.    PM me if you don't hear from him.

Steve
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

4speed

Thanks for all the "Welcomes" and the info. I plan on visiting the manufacturing facility soon. After I purchase it, be prepared for a thousand questions and plenty of pictures!

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. There is a search button at the top so you might be able to find answers to most of your questions.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

4speed,welcome to the forum. Build a post and beam home will pay for that mill quick. What size motor did you decide on? Do you have trees on your land? If so how are you getting the logs out?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4speed

Sorry for the delay in answering. My second son was born on Wednesday and I haven't been close to a computer since.
I have trees on my property as well as my neighbor that wants some cleared. My parents also have land and have offered trees. The sawmill has an option for a 30 HP engine. I don't know if that would be overkill or worth the extra money as the price difference in the base model 13 horse and the 30 horse is $1,925.00. Probably not worth it, but I've always been one of those "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" type of people.

Ianab

Congrats on the new arrival, I know how much time they can take up  :D

You might base your engine choice on log size? If you are cutting smaller logs (under 18"?) then you may not get much improvement from the bigger engine.  If you were maxing out the mill with it's 30" cut, then more power would be a big advantage.

The 18hp would still gnaw it's way though a big log, but it would be a bit slower.

Depending on your budget you might be better spending the difference on log handling equipment like cant hooks and a logging arch. Being able to handle the logs easier may be a bigger improvement than just more engine power on a manual mill?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Great place to learn stuff and help others too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

T Welsh

Welcome 4speed,start asking questions.I found this forum about 8+ years ago before I bought my mill and it was a Great help,I must have read every thread that had to deal with a Woodmizer,must have been a million :D pull up a seat and sit a spell! Tim

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kansas

I would suggest you look less at distance from where the mill is located to your house, and more to quality. Something that looks extremely stout doesn't mean it has the engineering behind it. It sounds like you are going after a smaller mill. There are a lot of quality, used very little, personal sawmills out there floating around. Also check the mills from Woodmizer to Baker to Cooks, start clicking on the banners at the left. Check the sawmill exchange, the for sale section here, and woodmizer's used section on their website. Also know what you are going to be cutting for size of logs. Then figure out what size of posts and beams you need. If you have big logs and not great big post and beams, a swingmill might be the way to go. Whatever direction you go, sounds like your getting ready for a grand adventure. Good luck!!

tcsmpsi

Hey, 4speed.  Congratulations!   ;D 

Yes sir, I have an LM1.  Danny is right.  I have cut a lot of lumber with it.  Norm is right, too.  Good and stout.   ;D

I was last up at LogMaster about 6 months ago.  There are a few differences in the newer ones that I wouldn't mind having.  Mine has a 13 HP Kohler, which I have had no trouble with.  I bought mine before they offered the trailer version. I had them build mine to suit my needs.  I have had no trouble with the mill, with exception of the tensioning bolt, which they supplied me with more than what was necessary to replace.    They used to use bushings in the carriage wheels, but went to bearings and I changed those out (with a set supplied by them). 
It is a good, simple machine.  I like it.  There are others which have some things I like and some, no so much.  I find it a good value for what it is.   Herman and Ed (father and son) are good folks.     It was a toss up between it and some of the sponsor's mills, but, in the end, I like being able to go to the source in a couple hours. 

You would be welcome to see my set up work, or they can be very helpful at the factory, too.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

4speed

Thanks for the congrats and the invite, tcsmpsi. I will pm you one of these days and take you up on that offer.

bandmiller2

4 Speed,I can't remember hearing anyone complain they had too much horse power.Get hydraulics you won't regret it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4speed

Thanks for the advice, Frank. I have watched countless hours of sawmill dvd's and youtube video (my wife thinks I need therapy). I do believe that hydraulics are worth the extra expense. I'm all about working smarter.

JD350Cmark

Quote from: 4speed on December 25, 2011, 09:55:45 PM
I have watched countless hours of sawmill dvd's and youtube video (my wife thinks I need therapy)

I'd call those videos therapy.
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!