iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw rig

Started by Peter Drouin, July 05, 2014, 09:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

Quote from: jason6586 on August 07, 2014, 05:37:23 AM
Can anyone tell me if there are any companies in the US or Canada that make new Buzz saws, I am having a hard time finding anything thats not from China or the UK.

Thanks

I have a flyer I picked up quite a while back for a model 250 WOODSMAN SAW manufactured by: D. H. Welding at 459 Valley Road, Quarryville, PA 17566-9345.  Tel. 717-806-0129.
If you contact them I'd like to know if they sell to the general public and also if they ship.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

jason6586

I want to apologize to the original poster for invading his post and I also want to thank everyone who responded to my question.

Thanks Again

Jason

thecfarm

jason6586,welcome to the forum.
I don't see you did anything wrong.  ;D  Stick around and we'll put grits into a thread and watch where that goes.  :D
Quarryville,right in Amish country. A very nice area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

The GRITS war will be back sooooon ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

It's never far away from my things to do around my place. I have elite force that is armed and fortified to strike at a moment's notice. They are on call 24/7.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: tractorman44 on August 02, 2014, 09:34:05 PM

I was giving consideration to running (4) v-belts, but I didn't know what to expect with 4 individual belts straddling the crown in the flat pully on the sawblades shaft

I have a 3 groove pulley on my motor and I run 2 v-belts on the outer two grooves. This centers them on either side of the crown. If I had your set-up and wanted to try v-belts I'd just use the outer grooves.

tractorman44

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on August 13, 2014, 04:10:27 PM
Quote from: tractorman44 on August 02, 2014, 09:34:05 PM

I was giving consideration to running (4) v-belts, but I didn't know what to expect with 4 individual belts straddling the crown in the flat pully on the sawblades shaft

I have a 3 groove pulley on my motor and I run 2 v-belts on the outer two grooves. This centers them on either side of the crown. If I had your set-up and wanted to try v-belts I'd just use the outer grooves.

So simple, and I didn't even think of it... doggone.  It should work like a champ.  Two will surely provide ample friction. 

When you say 'motor', is it an electric motor or gas engine and how many ponies is it?  My little Kubota is 16hp, but the rig works equally well on an 8n, 800 Ford or 1010 John Deere with the extended pto receiver.

DeerMeadowFarm

My bad, "Engine". Mine is a 10 HP Tecumseh engine from a snowblower. It has a 110v electric start option on it to boot!

My father-in-law's saw is powered by a 7 HP Tecumseh.

bandmiller2

I'am a little late to this fray but over the years I've owned about three cordwood, buzz saws or what ever you want to call them. They work well but are dangerous. They are most usefull for small long stuff cut for short stovewood. You have to lift what your going to cut and that's a back breaker. They came into being before chainsaws and were a god sent for the oldtimers. If you cut a lot of poles into stovewood they will be a big help. If your feeding big stuff just cut with the chainsaw and save your back. Most buzz saw blades I've seen are not sharpened properly and require a lot of pushing to get them to cut. They are a crosscut tooth and require no hook, the face of the tooth should be inline with the arbor hole. Tooth set is important to prevent binding. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

47sawdust

We have been using a Woodsman pto buzz saw for a few years now.As Bandmiller said it is excellent for kitchen stove wood.It demands respect or you will get hurt.I sent our blade to a saw shop in Henniker N.H.,He did a great job of sharpening,setting and joining the teeth.He has some amazing sharpening equipment that was imported from Germany.Fun to watch,he was @ the logging expo in Essex JCT. Vt.a few years back.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

I'm getting all the parts together to make it work. I hope it will cut the hardwood slabs ok.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

Peter, it will be just the thing for slab, oak or otherwise. Frank C.

36 coupe

I spent my first 29 years in Franklin.There were lots of cordwood saws in use in the 40s,50s and early 60s.Most were powered by Model A Ford engines.John Henry and his wife sawed wood for people with a Model A  powered.Never knew anyone hurt by cordwood saws but know plenty of men cut by chain saws.My dad bought a small cordwood saw from Sears for 85.00.Came with a 3hp B&S engine.We sawed a lot of wood with that rig.I have the saw here in Maine, used it with a 2hp electric motor and a 6hp robin engine.I bought a Ford tractor and a PTO shaft driven cordwood saw.As for lifting big wood I never cut saw logs for firewood.I can machine sharpen the 30 inch blades.Not much demand for cordwood saw sharpening these days.Cordwood blades are center pitch and require setting to half the thickness of the saw plate.The teeth have a 5 degree face and top angle.I have some ash logs ready to mill but a 15 inch snow fall stopped that.

bandmiller2

36 Coupe, was it Franklin Ma. or NH you  grew up in.?? My most usefull buzz saw was mounted on the front of a JD "B" and driven from the clutch pulley. The most interesting buzz saw was free standing and powered by an old IH 6hp make and break engine. My dad was real nervous the first one I got, when he was young him and his friend went into the woods to help the kids uncle. They found him dead the arbor was just lagged down with wood screws it hung on a piece, broke free and climbed right up the front of him. Frank C.

Dave Shepard

What model 6 HP Frank? An M is throttle governed, so it must have been a more interesting model. Was it a Famous or a Titan?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

North River Energy

Quote from: 47sawdustI sent our blade to a saw shop in Henniker N.H.,He did a great job of sharpening,setting and joining the teeth.He has some amazing sharpening equipment that was imported from Germany.Fun to watch,he was @ the logging expo in Essex JCT. Vt.a few years back.

Do you have a name and/or contact info?  The gentleman that last filed my blades passed away a few years back.

Peter, your rig will do well with the narrower slabs, but you'll get tired of flipping the wider ones to finish the cut.

bandmiller2

Good question Dave, I don't know what model it was. This was 35 years ago  when I got the engine it had no carb. I had to modify a updraft carb to fit it. It worked well on the saw as the heavy flywheels would carry it through a big piece. It was a make and break because under load it would fire and coasting every few turns. Its long gone I forget where it went after that I had a total regression to steam. Frank C.

47sawdust

North River Energy and anyone else whose interested in professional blade sharpening-
Henniker Saw Shop
105 Newton Rd.
Henniker N.H. 03242
603-428-3751
Best to all,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

[/quote]
Quote from: North River Energy on November 05, 2014, 07:28:20 AM
Quote from: 47sawdustI sent our blade to a saw shop in Henniker N.H.,He did a great job of sharpening,setting and joining the teeth.He has some amazing sharpening equipment that was imported from Germany.Fun to watch,he was @ the logging expo in Essex JCT. Vt.a few years back.

Do you have a name and/or contact info?  The gentleman that last filed my blades passed away a few years back.

Peter, your rig will do well with the narrower slabs, but you'll get tired of flipping the wider ones to finish the cut.

So what your saying the bigger the blade the better. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

North River Energy

^There you go...
That, or build it like a slab saw where the blade/arbor pass over the slab, rather than the slab moving into the middle of the blade more or less in line with the arbor.

Thanks 47.

36 coupe

I have to say this.If you have a flat belt pulley use a flat belt.If you have a V belt pulley use V belts......

bandmiller2

The table on most saw rigs pivots from near the base on an arc to the center of the saw. If you have the table tilt up in the back or have a wedge in back it will allow a wider board or slab to be cut. I built a table on rollers that slid straight into the saw worked ok but I like the swinging table better. Bigger is better in a saw, too small and limits what you can cut but the larger saw needs more power. Frank C.

Thewoodman

Chinese 6.5 Hp engine, tungsten tip saw blade, the dad in law made a sliding clutch system to tighten up the two v-belts. Works better than I thought it would.
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

Thank You Sponsors!