iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Smokehouse in VA

Started by 123maxbars, May 26, 2017, 10:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I started taking down an old smokehouse in Southwest VA this week. There is some pretty interesting history to the area that is it located (Hiltons VA). The structure is about 1 mile down the road from the Carter Fold. Which is a music venue built and ran by the Carter Family. Anyone who has knowledge of country music will know that the Carter Family have been given credit for the birth of country music. I made a short video showing the days work and some footage of the area and AP Carter's grave site.  Wasn't sure which forum to post this on so this one seemed fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtiW2ssKSc
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

luvmexfood

Your in my neck of the woods. Near Lebanon.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

luvmexfood

Don't know if your looking to sell that old wood but if so I saw a flyer for a place in Castlewood that buys old lumber. Guess they mainly want older barn wood etc.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

123maxbars

Quote from: luvmexfood on May 27, 2017, 10:05:52 AM
Don't know if your looking to sell that old wood but if so I saw a flyer for a place in Castlewood that buys old lumber. Guess they mainly want older barn wood etc.

I am over in Kingsport not too far from you.
I do sale a lot of the reclaimed wood after I have it dried. I usually take it over to NC, Better market over there.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Ox

Nice video as always - I'm thinking it wasn't a smokehouse but maybe an icehouse.  A smokehouse would have been blacker than the ace of spades inside there.  Your boards would have been totally black on one side most likely. 

Old smokehouses around here are still standing mostly due to the preservation of the creosote from the smoking process.  Sadly, many people tear them down for some reason, even when there's nothing wrong with them.  Sometimes I hate progress.  The one you're working on needs to come down cause it's falling down.  I'm glad to see you're saving some of it.

Keep up the good work.  Your videos tend to calm me and that's a good thing.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!