iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two Big Boys

Started by Magicman, June 24, 2014, 05:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After finishing the Cypress and ERC, the customer had two big boys to saw.  Sawing two 36" logs back to back is unusual for me.  One is a Cherrybark Oak and the other is a Water Oak both of which are classified as Red Oaks.  (No I do not saw with the guards off of the sawmill.  The customer got the log ready to load before I finished installing the blade.)   :)

The Water Oak decided to go first.  It was 36" on both ends.

And the Cherrybark Oak had to wait it's turn.  It was 36" on the butt and 33" on the small end.

I lowered the side supports and fudged as far left as I could.

I sawed each side down to my targeted 12" cant and then sawed 1X12's.  The side lumber would also be 1X12's with a few 1X10's, 8's, & 6's.

This is the typical coloration of Water Oak with the grey streaks.

I personally prefer the Cherrybark Oak which is all red in color and without the grey.

It took ~4  hours to saw both logs.  I was sawing hourly rate, but the two logs yield was a bit over 1Mbf.  The sawing cost would have been almost identical whichever way that I had charged.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

downsouth

That is some big uns for sure!
Looks like you have it down pretty good on your rates.
    I have a big sycamore coming this weekend for someone, I have not seen it yet but he says it's "big". I hope I haven't bit off more than I can chew!

ddcuning

Now that is my size of log! Very nice!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

brianb88

I always enjoy seeing pictures along with the narrative.  Nice work Magicman.   :)
Measure twice, cut once

clww

Looks great, Lynn! 8) How old do you estimate these two were?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chuck White

I really like logs that size Lynn, but I really don't want a landing full of them!  whiteflag_smiley
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Wow Magicman, it seems like you've just about got the hang of this sawmilling thing. :D

I'm guessing that 12" wide cant was pretty tall when you finally got it squared up.  I find that turning tall cants like that can sometimes be challenging.  Do you ever have any trouble with those and have you got any tips you'd like to share?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

SPD748

I might need Logrite to build me a special 10' hook to turn those bad boys! Nice job Lynn!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

hackberry jake

We have a lot of cherrybark around here. I kinda like how that water oak looked!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Quote from: clww on June 24, 2014, 07:42:13 PMHow old do you estimate these two were? 
Both of them had ~¼" growth rings so they were gaining about ½" in diameter each year.  That should put them in the 75 year range.

Nothing special Paul, but I did have to use the log clamp and turner together to roll them over.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

That's why thy call you the Magicman 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Not bad Lynn....not bad at all. The closeness of the diameters on each is not bad sawing. I hates the big logs where its 33 on one end and 24 on the other. Makes for a lot of sawing with less lumber.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Not magic, just a lot of work for someone! ;D  those are bigun's  for sure,  they look like picture perfect logs, especially for that size.  Very solid to the core.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

Those were such nice logs, they didn't even look that large until I saw the mill dwarfed underneath. Thanks for the pictures, Magic ;)
Too many irons in the fire

scully

It has to feel darn satisfying to mill something as awesome as that !
I bleed orange  .

reswire

How heavy would you say that log was???  Curious what size John Deere loaded that rascal.  I don't think my 5205 could come close to loading that puppy. ::)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: reswire on June 24, 2014, 10:08:30 PM
How heavy would you say that log was???  Curious what size John Deere loaded that rascal.  I don't think my 5205 could come close to loading that puppy. ::)

Close to 3500 pounds.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You saw with your doors off......or was you changing blades?  ;D

Sixacresand

Good job Magicman,  I know it was challenging.  That's where experience pays off. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 24, 2014, 10:14:37 PM
Ah ha, you did not read the OP very closely did you??

I could have loaded the logs, but with a JD 6415 (95 HP) available, then why?   ;D

Thanks to all for the kind words.  Fact is, I love to saw them biguns.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 24, 2014, 11:00:00 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 24, 2014, 10:14:37 PM
Ah ha, you did not read the OP very closely did you??

I just look at the pictures.  :D :D :D

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on June 24, 2014, 11:00:00 PM
Fact is, I love to saw them biguns.   :)

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Nice logs
laying the side suports down and easing them big ones over can be tricky, having something handy that can handle the log if you OOOPs is not a bad thing ;)
You know they are big when they are bigger then the tire.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

fat olde elf

Nice work on nice logs ! Thanks for the birthday greeting.... Now I am only 10% older than you.  My best to Pat.......See you in August..........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

rooster 58

I likes the contrast of the gray in that water oak. A few weeks ago, I sawed a big hemlock that was 16' long. 27" on the small end and 34" on the butt. It had some sweep also, which gave me fits trying to turn that rascal ;)

dboyt

For boards like that, I bet your customer would have been thrilled at any price!  Good thing he didn't want live edge slabs.  Nice job.  What pitch/hook angle did you use?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!