iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This Old Cypress Bay

Started by LID90, June 25, 2019, 03:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LID90

First off this is my first time posting and its gave me a little trouble but if this does right then good if not let me know what I can do to fix. I send my future apologies.

I started pulling cypress logs and a few other kinds out of an old cypress bay behind my house that's on my property almost all trees in the middle that were cypress was cut along with several burned and charred down to some very wide outer shell of the core or sap wood pieces. Some are a complete waste compared to some logs that would have been almost 3 ft wide whole. I kept finding decent 18in W× 15ft+ L or so until I found an old growth cypress I had thought was just another side piece of the giants that did stand at one time. Only about 7ft of this piece I seen was showing and thought it couldn't be over 10 ft till it was pulled and brought to the daylight once again. Measured at roughly 51ft long and 2ft+ wide. The rest of the pics are all leading up to "The One" I hope to find more or at least that width and quality I will post pics of it cleaned soon I am hoping to try and get them to a mill this weekend I want to use some for personal use, but also want to sale the rest. What would be the best measurement to cut them to where they can be cut once or 2 more times into other cuts or sizes? I also want to do all live edge to save on waste unless there is a better method .  Tbh I have almost no clue of what I am doing besides what I have researched online YouTube, pinterest, forums, etc.. so I am open to any suggestions or opinions.

LID

lxskllr

You have some neat looking wood there. I think each piece will dictate what it wants to be. IOW, there won't necessarily be a default cut, and there could be considerable waste maximizing the appearance of various pieces. Some could also be sold as-is. Let the buyer decide. It's harder putting them back together than taking them apart.

ellmoe

The heavy peck will make interesting mantle pieces and thick , but not too heavy , table tops . Live edge is popular and the l.e. can always be sawn off later , can't put it back on.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

On the solid pieces, I would cut 8' to 10' so the boards could be used for decorative paneling. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!