iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest fires

Started by Warbird, August 06, 2009, 01:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

When I went to work on the Alaska Pipeline Project in 1974, I drove the AlCan highway in October. I drove for 3 days through an old burn in BC and the Yukon Territories. Hard to calculate how many acres were burned. I never thought I'd get through it, but I did. Coming back through the same area a year later, the brush and berry bushes were thick. Made for great game habitat, I'm sure. Same thing happened in the early 1900's in northern Idaho and western Montana; the "Sleeping Child Fire" consumed millions of timber acres. A few years after and for 30-40 more years, it made for the best elk/moose habitat in North America. Lodgepole Pine is about a 100 year species and it's survival is based on fire. If Lodgepole isn't harvested, then the bark beetle will kill it and then comes the lightning fire. Just look at Yellowstone in 1988; burned 80% of the Park. Looks great now and will for another 80 years, then it will all happen again.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

firefighter

Well BC needs more help leaving on monday for an other 19 days , they 92 fires to day and haverequested more help .

Ron Scott

Explosive Fires in Angeles National Forest Continue to Rage

August 26 – According to the Whittier Daily News an explosive, heat-driven wildfire In the Angeles National Forest has blackened more than 1,700 acres above Azusa and threatening more. Meanwhile, a second fire emerged several miles west along the Angeles Crest Highway.

For more information, visit the Whittier Daily News website.

E-Forester
~Ron

firefighter

Just returned from BC yesterday finished the second 19 day tour was on a three thousand hecter fire called the Notch Hill fire no homes lost and every thing went well hopefully there will be no more this year .BC is very different from Ontario very steep .glad to be home .

Warbird

Glad you are safe.  A friend of mine has been down in California, battling the blazes there.  I think he is heading home soon.  That is some seriously hard work you guys do.

SwampDonkey

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/04/23/nb-water-bomber-crash.html

"The pilot of a water bomber died in a crash near Miramichi, N.B., on Friday.

The water bomber, operated by Forest Protection Ltd., crashed shortly after taking off from Miramichi Airport just before 2 p.m. AT, according to a company spokesman.

Miramichi police deputy chief Paul Fiander confirmed the pilot, Ron Clowes, died in the crash.

He was a 62-year-old experienced pilot from Grand Falls, N.B., with more than 13,000 hours of flying time, said police Sgt. Brian Cumming. He had worked for Forest Protection for 10 years."

CBC News

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Apparantly it was a Grumman Avenger that crashed.. Why are they flying museum pieces like that? It had to be 50-60 years old.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Got to the west coast and I bet you'll fly into the bush on Beaver's, single and twin Otters. Very reliable aircraft is why. They are all rebuilds of course, not original equipment. ;D

It was one of 20 TBM Avengers in the fleet.

"Forest Protection Limited (FPL) of Fredericton, NB  once owned and operated the largest civilian fleet of Avengers in the world. FPL began operating Avengers in 1958 after purchasing 12 surplus TBM-3E aircraft from the Royal Canadian Navy. Use of the Avenger fleet at FPL peaked in 1971 when 43 aircraft were in use as both water bombers and spray aircraft.   The company sold three Avengers in 2004 (C-GFPS, C-GFPM, and C-GLEJ) to museums or private collectors. The Central New Brunswick Woodsmen’s Museum has a former FPL Avenger on static display.  An FPL Avenger that crashed in 1975 in southwestern New Brunswick was recovered and restored by the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum  and is currently on display.  FPL was still operating 3 Avengers in 2010 configured as water-bombers, and stationed at Miramichi Airport. With one crashing just after takeoff killing the pilot on April 23, 2010.  There are several other Avengers in private collections around the world today."

Wikipedia

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Wildfire Danger Reaches "Extreme" Level in Northern Minnesota

Pioneer Press (Minnesota, 4/29) - Due to a long stretch of dry weather, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has increased fire danger levels to the highest possible for the northern half of the state. According to the state Department of Natural Resources, an "extreme" danger level means "the situation is explosive and can result in extensive property damage" resulting from fires that "start quickly, spread furiously, and burn intensely."

The E-Forester

~Ron

Gary_C

Ron, I can sure verify that. Every DNR Forester in the state has been sent to the northern woods on fire duty. The only one left in the south is one that is going to retire and he told me Friday that all he has been doing is answering the phone and telling everyone that all others are gone fighting fires. We have had almost no rain this spring and things are extremely dry in the north woods.

Very dangerous situation.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Gary_C

Finally last week they got over an inch of rain in northern MN and things are greening up. But now they are talking a chance of snow and a hard frost.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Warbird

It SNOWED here today!!  Actually stuck a little bit, too.  I am thankful for the precip, because until last week, it was very dry around here.  Then we had a good bit of rain and now SNOW.  I shouldn't complain but seriously, rain is way better than snow, in MAY.  ;)

Regardless, this should help stave off any fires for a while.  Thank God.

fuzzybear

Warbird,
    It's VERY dry just the other side of the border. We had above average winter temps with about half the yearly snow fall.  Now the rain is bypassing us headed twards you. It is very dry very early in the bush.
   Now they are predicting above average temperatures this summer. It will be a very interesting summer for those of us north of 60.
fb
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

stonebroke

Quote from: Warbird on May 06, 2010, 12:23:39 AM
It SNOWED here today!!  Actually stuck a little bit, too.  I am thankful for the precip, because until last week, it was very dry around here.  Then we had a good bit of rain and now SNOW.  I shouldn't complain but seriously, rain is way better than snow, in MAY.  ;)

Regardless, this should help stave off any fires for a while.  Thank God.

Malone in upstate NY got 17 inches last week.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

Snowed 24" in northern Vermont last week and 6" in northern Maine. Only had rain and showers here, but not much to it. Would shower when we were off work for the day and the bushes would dry out before the next day. Of course we were in hardwood, which dries out quick in  a breeze. I said to the boss, I never seen thinning like that, 1 gallon gas jug to cut 1 ha (2.5 ac). Pretty light cutting. Hardwood was mainly aspen, but had maple, basswood and butternut to. Rock maple leaves are about out fully ( 1 more week) here now like the aspens. :)

Warbird

fb, that is how it was here until just over a week ago.  We also had less than half our average snowfall and it was very dry.  There was a lot of concern about this fire season.  Sure hope you guys get some rain soon, too.  Otherwise, it could be a very unpleasant summer for all of us.  :-\

Warbird

Welp, what we all feared would happen, did.  A couple of the bad fires from last summer were down in the peat moss (it is sort of like charcoal when it starts burning).  It was burning underneath the top layer.  Due to that and the extreme lack of snow this past winter, the fires smoldered all winter long.

They have now kicked back up, in addition to a few new fires and as of this morning, we are blanketed in smoke again.  :(  We are praying for some good, soaking rains for a couple of weeks straight, across the entire Interior of Alaska.

Sure hope the smoke is gone when asy visits us.

fuzzybear

Warbird,
   We got a small dash of rain here. The clouds are building and headed your way.  I just hope they dump rain and not turn out to be dry storms. We don't need any of those. The bush is VERY dry here too. Good luck to you guys.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Bobus2003

We've been getting lots of rain so far, most creeks are in Flood stage, and our resivoirs are full. Many figure that it will be a calm fire season with all this moisture.. It won't were just growing good deep grass that will dry out.. Plus with all the bug kill we will have some good fires.. Hopin my dad gets both his Brush Engine's and Skidgine out the door and make some money this year.. Yeah i hate too see the forest burn, But It's gonna get managed one way or another whether we do it or Mother nature does it.. and either way i make money

Warbird

Looks like it's going to be another 'interesting' fire year:

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/13354157/article-Breaking-news--Fire-reported-in-South-Fairbanks--residents-evacuated--wildfire-in-Goldstream?instance=home_news_window_left_top_1

The wildfire in the Goldstream valley is very near the homes of 2 or 3 different friends of ours.  We may be helping them evacuate in a bit.  :(

Warbird

Looks like they've got the Goldstream fire mostly knocked down, thank God.  They are still dumping on it.  That fire started 10 - 20 miles away from my house, and about 2 miles away from some close friends of ours.

Here is an article detailing just the Goldstream fire:

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/13357144/article-Crews-work-to-control-700-acre-wildfire-north-of-Goldstream-Valley?instance=home_lead_story

Thank You Sponsors!