iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big walnut with the TK-2000

Started by Larry, September 29, 2019, 10:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

A few quality hours sawing wide walnut slabs last week. The first log measured 31" across the butt but had opposing limbs which needed trimmed to fit through the 32" throat of my mill. I loaded the log on the mill butt first but didn't put a blade on the mill. That way I can be positive I won't get stuck half way down the log. Took about an hour to position the log just perfect and whittle off the limbs. Had 1/4" clearance on each side.

Got teeth on the mill now.

Took off a slab and a couple of 4/4 boards. Slabs were all 9/4. I saw as deep as I can than tilt the log so the slabs slide onto the waiting loader arms.  I can't lift slabs this heavy so I let the machines do there thing.

Flip the remaining log and saw to the bed. Since I sawed below the pith the remaining log doesn't require anything special to position.

Next log was just as big but banana shaped and no crotches. Lot easier to position.

Both logs were yard trees and had nails. Went through 3 bands but none were destroyed. The nails add black iron stain which adds a lots of character $$$$$$'s.

A TK-2200 with a 37" throat is becoming interesting.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

xlogger

Larry that looks nice. I'm like you and would like a 2200 but at my age I guess I'll have to pass.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

You met the challenge very well. I know about 1/4" clearances - they really add time to positioning the log. Nice job.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ga Mtn Man

Nicely done Larry!  Definitely worth all the effort.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Thank You Sponsors!