iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you want to see something really bad...

Started by GDinMaine, March 03, 2013, 08:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

A Youtube walk through of a terribly abused mill that might be up for sale soon.  I can't believe the list of stuff that is wrong with this poor thing.  Kudos to the guy for posting these four movies as he digs deeper for problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlAeUGjiYk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTR6spECVJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8dRcvP3Ck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZsLRzkecQs
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Ga Mtn Man

Seems like a good opportunity for someone willing to put in the time (at the right price, that is).

I am always astounded at how complex a Woodmizer mill is. :o  There's a whole lot of good ol' American engineering going on there. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Peter Drouin

where would one look to find it for sale ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

T Welsh

WOW, is all I can say! Talk about abuse! Tim

buzzegray

All that neglect lies with owner 1 and 2; however didn't owner 3 have the responsibility to inspect it. Your videos are a "must see" for anyone who wants to purchase a used sawmill(like myself). Thank you for posting it. Great job.  How much did owner 3 pay for it?

Nomad

Quote from: Chuck White on March 03, 2013, 10:19:14 AM
As it is, it's a parts mill!  :-\

Yeah...  Not many parts, either! :'(  What a waste.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

moandrich

Good timing on the videos, going to inspect the mill we are looking at extra hard now, thanx.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Magicman

Yes, there is serious abuse and neglect, but as bad as it looks, it would be amazing just how relatively little it would cost to put her back into sawing order.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can't even imagine how some of this stuff got bent. Looks like this mill could have been around salty air.

I recall another thread about a piece of equipment being a boat anchor. Maybe this thread should be combined with it.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

This is the kind of thing that happens when someone who came by their money too easily buys something. Anybody who had to earn their money would not do that.

It would be worth more than a grand to me. I'd toss the jacks, hitch, axle and saw head and have a hydraulic bed extension.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

I would bet that the loading forks got bent by someone skidding a (heavy) log laterally while it was on the loader!

I've had customers wanting to do that on my mill and my reply was "ABSOLUTELY NOT".

If that mill was a living being, whoever did the abuse would be behind bars now!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

inspectorwoody

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dave Shepard

Those four movies.

I'll start the bidding at $ 0.10/pound, delivered to 01266. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MartyParsons

QuoteYes, there is serious abuse and neglect, but as bad as it looks, it would be amazing just how relatively little it would cost to put her back into sawing order.

I agree! It depends on what the purchase price was. It is difficult to find a parts mill out there.  The road salt is the bad thing. It is amazing how the more you look the more issues are present. This mill is still fixable. The engine is not original but that is a big ticket item, if they find it to be bad. Like Magic said it is neglect.

M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard

It would be worth more than a grand to me. I'd toss the jacks, hitch, axle and saw head and have a hydraulic bed extension.
/quote]

just what I was thinking :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

Well, I wouldn't "toss" the sawhead, but I'd gently set it aside for parts, trading or posterity. :D

I think as long as the main tube is good on a WM, they are always worth rebuilding, unless, as it appears in this case, the initial purchase price is too high.

Bandmill Bandit

I'd like to get my hands on the saw head rig with out the engine.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

bandmiller2

Repairing that bad boy would be much easier than building a bandmill from scratch. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bibbyman

This mill has been evaluated twice and both times the cost in professional labor and new parts would exceed the value of the mill when restored.  If some  wanted to take it on as a project and try to scrounge and repair damaged parts then it may be feasible to repair.  But still you'd be better off shopping for a mill in good shape.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

inspectorwoody

I saw the mill and it is in bad shape.

Bibby is right about the cost to fix etc.

Hopefully Al will chime in.

ElectricAl

Unfortunately this was the second mill I looked at this winter to see if it was repairable.
The other mill was a 1987 LT40HD.. Due to extreme neglect the price for parts and labor exceed the value of the mill when fixed.
Even worse, the 1987 can not even be used as a frame extension.
WM mills built before 1991 are not all exactly the same.

The Rolling Wreck could be used as a Hydraulic Extension. The Cylinders appear to be functionable. However the hoses and pumps are compromised.

This Mill could be reconditioned and put back into service. But it would be a major job.

The most expensive Mill we have fixed cost a pinch over $4500, and nothing was bent.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

GDinMaine

Thanks for the post ElectricAl.  I thought you said $10k worth of problems plus the engine could be in questionable condition.  That is around 15-16k possible expenditure.  Ouch.   I can not fathom that someone to purchase a machine of this price range and not look at it first. I'm truly puzzled.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

ElectricAl

GDinMaine,

The owner of the sawmill was not real talkative. It took a lot of prodding to get what information I have.
The purchase was made with just a quick glance at the mill.
He know it had a few problems.
He just did not realize the problems had problems.

I told the guy if he wanted to proceed on the project the first step was an Oil Sample from the engine.
If the sample came back bad. We'd switch to a Kohler gas engine.  The Kohler gas will have better resale than the Lombardini  diesel.

What a huge waste of a good machine.

Would have been a nifty YouTube series.

You thought AxMen was high drama.

Wait till you see me beating on a guys machine with a sledge hammer ! smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Thank You Sponsors!