iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you cutting 2024? - pics welcome

Started by Ianab, May 09, 2024, 12:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

New Thread for pictures and other updates / discussions etc. 

Old thread is available here, but is now locked. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=80957.0

Carry on.  ffsmiley
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nealm66

Swinging a big rotten leaner

Nealm66

I'm not sure if I'm loading the pictures the best. I'm using an IPhone and selecting small as the format?

doc henderson

might try medium, at least for pics where detail matters.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Like Doc says, you can go up a size. 

The bit that says 240x320 is the number of pixels (dots) in your image. You can go for 640 or 800 and get a larger (more detailed) image, without blowing the file size. 

Modern cameras lake crazy big files, default on mine is 4096 pix wide, or about 3 average monitors across, and maybe 5 mb file size. And it's not a high end phone. So there are limits put on the forum file size so Lil can't accidentally upload a 12 mb / 8,000 pixel image from her phone, and waste Jeff's server space  and bandwidth, when it then gets shrunk down at the end screen to ~1,000 pix for display anyway.

So you are doing it right by selecting and uploading the smaller size image, just you can go up a step in size and it will be fine. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Hogdaddy

Ah man.... I hate our old thread has been locked. Glad I was a part of it! And like he said carry on!  I tried to downsize a pic, will have to try to post it tomorrow.  :thumbsup:
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Nealm66

Spring has sprung here in the pnw

Nealm66

Pitch is boiling out on this one. Bark is slipping on the Doug firs ( not a great way to fall)

Hogdaddy

A hickory I cut the other day. Not huge, but a good one. 4 foot at the stump.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=353777

Hogdaddy

Hogdaddy

WhitePineJunky

WhitePineJunky

barbender

I know that burn was a personal tragedy for you, but you're making the best out of it. Those are really nice looking skids behind the ol TJ!
Too many irons in the fire

WhitePineJunky

Ron Scott

~Ron

cutterboy

WPJ, Great pictures, keep them coming. I really enjoy them.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Old Greenhorn

Just short of a year ago I wrote this in the thread soon after your fire:
---------------------------------------------------

June 11, 2023, 12:56:57 PM

WPJ, what I am seeing in that photo looks like a fairly fast moving mid-story burn, some creeping fire on the ground but not a lot, that took out the saplings if there were any and some smaller trees. Look like most of the stuff on the ground may have been litter before the fire? The crowns of the trees are all brown BUT they re there. This tells me that fire was not hot enough up in the crown to do a complete killing burn. This I see as all very good news. Give it time and see what pops. I also see green in the background so perhaps there will be some regen coming from that side also?
 Yes, quite a blow and extremely depressing, but at least you are there to fix it. It will take time for sure. Now would be a good time to clear up all that litter, before the grass pops up and covers it. Miserable and dirty work, but much easier now than later.
 In my experience white pine is quite resilient and grows like weeds. I have a patch 50' from where I sit right now where the saplings are popping up 14" apart and choking each other out. I am considering it a mini nursery ;D.
 Best of luck man. Stay strong, you will get through this.

--------------------------------------------------
Now that you are approaching the anniversary I am wondering how you are feeling about the whole incident? You've already put in a lot of work and have a lot more to go, but are you feeling like you have a grip on it? It's too easy for 'other folks' to be sympathetic for a while after a tragedy, but then they move on. You can't move on without dealing with it and I wonder how your are coming along for yourself?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WhitePineJunky

Good question! 
I was very devastated after it happened, but i rebounded quickly, and decided I was going to make the best of the situation, fast forward a year and it may be of surprise to many... but I'm glad it happened at this time, the forest will comeback and look much better than it did before, il be there the whole way along to baby the trees, do spacing, species favouring etc. 
it's a clean slate and I have the opportunity to really steer the land in the direction I want it to go, when I got to it, a few years ago it was umanaged land with no thinning done, some trees were alright but not the best lumber
After all said and done the land only became more sentimental to me as I have literally stepped over every square foot of it "restoring it"

I have logged off about 50-60 acres and maybe another 20-30 to hit and the rest isn't timber worthy

Old Greenhorn

Good Answer!
 Although some of us looking from the outside in may have thought, once the fire had passed, that perhaps this might work out fine for you in the longest run. Of course at the time, that would have been the least 'sensitive' anyone could have said given what you were looking at and processing right at your feet. 
 I am very happy for you that you have come around to this way of thinking and dealing with it. Looks to me like life threw you a truck load of lemons and rather than make a lot of lemonade, you are going to make a fine wine out of them. It will take longer, but has a bigger payoff.
 Onward and Upward!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WhitePineJunky

BargeMonkey

Haven't had much good to say, being home for 2wks off seems weird.
received_702504061909028.jpeg

Burn brush, truck wood. Fighting a gremlin in the Timbco, United has a decent Tigercat in Houlton I wanna go look at, little Rowan showing up this time prevented any road trips to look at iron.  Messenger_creation_775f02c4-b0a8-4935-a7ed-98c3b87a8349.jpeg

Messenger_creation_f2e1fc29-d700-4836-80d5-a4be7de10cd5.jpeg
Move to a local job when I get back, then move to a forester job, I keep telling myself I'm retarded for wanting to cut wood this year. There's a fair amount of big wood on it, my father cut it 40yrs ago, getting the major haircut this time.

20240525_154948.jpg

newoodguy78

Well congratulations Barge , Mom and baby look like they're doing good hope you are as well.
Nice brush pile burn too by the way.

doc henderson

congratulations Barge and family!

Thank You Sponsors!