iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An easy winter.

Started by uplander, January 15, 2016, 07:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander

So far, I must say it as been an easy winter. My wood consumption is about 25% of what I had burned last year, perhaps a little more than that. Late last winter, spring and weekends throughout the summer when temperatures allowed, I cut firewood whenever I could. I felt I strongly needed to get 3 years ahead.

I used about 3 cords last winter and the one before. That kind of alarmed me because that is not an insignificant amount of work to do if you are not fully mechanized for it. It is difficult for me to get firewood out of my woods given the terrain I have to deal with.

So I got about 3 years ahead this fall and felt I was probably going to be where I wanted to be but I eyed the stacks that I had and worried that I should have done more. Turns out, at this point, I probably have 4 years ahead.

You never know what mother nature is going to throw at you and just when you think you have it figured out something will change and redefine what you thought you knew.

I hope everyone is warm this winter.

Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Tom L

I am the same way here, way down on wood consumption
have given away a couple of cords excess to some friends who are always unprepared

thecfarm

We are having warm temps here too. And so far is the key phrase here too. But if those single numbers don't come here pretty quick,they won't be here at all. By single numbers I mean below zero at night and not much into the double digits at high noon and being this way for 4-5 days in a row. Christmas I was walking thorugh the woods at almost 50°.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

im lucky if ill have enough to make it till march    if every one has more wood then they need you can drop it off at my house  ill thank you in advance thanks   :D :D 8) 8) 8) :)

brendonv

"An easy winter". Famous last words!   :D
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

yukon cornelius

I am happy for this easy winter. II hope it stays this way.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Ford_man

Coxy if you use 4 Tri axle before March you may enclose your house a little. smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce smiley_blue_bounce

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

hedgerow

Wood usage is down here also. Normally in Jan I am usually loading my Garn three times a day. I have been at work a lot so far this year so heat hasn't been on in the shop a lot either. Temps been all over the board around hear lately 45 one day and 10 the next. Had a lot of rain in Dec but it was warm enough it didn't freeze.

timberlinetree

I'm still burning a ranger full of wood every 3-4 days, but the washing machine hasent frooze yet 8)!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Logger RK

The times they are a changing. Went from 2 weeks ago it was 2 wet & muddy 2 work now yesterday a high of -5 (good day 2 hand fell oversized Aspen with the 066,should've got hand warmers on it)& a low of -24 this morn with a good wind. They saying colder 2nite. Did find out I need 2 change my thermostat from 160 to 180 in my C7 2day maybe & check y the heaters not circulating. Or stay in the house & fill the stove & watch Gun Smoke?😎👍

coxy

a normal winter we will burn 30+ FULL CORDS 4x4x8 heating 2 places so those 4 load is a start for next year if I don't run out this year first  ;D

tree-farmer

Mild here so far as well. Had our first snow today, about 1 inch at dawn an melted by noon. We usually get hit in Feb and March. Had 12 inches on Apil 4 a few years ago. Never can tell what these mountain will come up with.  We are at 2700 ft. Enjoying it while it lasts.
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

sawguy21

We have about a foot of snow on the ground which is normal but the temperatures are anything but. I think the coldest has been -8C, most of the time it is hovering around freezing. It is tough on the loggers, they need a deep freeze to work the bush. Getting too late in the season for that. At least our heating bills are down.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!